My Fuji SL1 + Fuji Supreme build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

raff012

by raff012

Hi guys,

long time reader and first time poster here. Built my Fuji SL1 in 2010 and haven't looked back since... recently purchased a new wheelset to accommodate the new build for my girlfriend.
Bike is built to sub 6kg standard and weighs in at ~5.9kg in current trim with heavy latex tubes and training tyres. I believe that 5.5kg is achievable with some work.

Fuji Supreme Build

Its taken me a while to source the parts for the build but I have finally purchased them and am just waiting for bits and pieces to arrive. It willl be running DA7800 components along with the good old mavic ksyrium sl wheelset from my bike.

Weight is projected to be <7kg (~6.8kg... UCI limit) according to my spreadsheet. I will update you guys with individual part weights (pics) as soon as all parts have arrived :D . The Fuji Supreme looks like a beast with oversized downtubes and tapered fork compared to the SL1 and looks much stiffer.. I am somewhat jealous.

Cheers,

Raff

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

weight with the Mad Fibers? They tubular or clincher?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Fuji's are a severely underrated bikes (which I was as guilty of as any of doing).

Both look great!

How have you found it?

raff012

by raff012

I'm running the clincher version and it weighed in at 1318g for the wheelset. It is quite an aero wheel and I can definitely feel a gain in velocity with a head or tail wind, crosswind performance is good considering the reviews I read considered it subpar. I weigh in at 70kg and have never had instability on the wheelset although this is my first aero(ish) wheelse so I have no base of comparison.

The fuji frame is excellent and weighs in at 860g for the size 47(S). It is unbelievably stiff and under heavy acceleration I can feel a slight twitch of the rear end. It has amazing handling characteristics and cornering speed is relatively higher than my previous frames.

I believe that fuji's high end bikes have a very good performance to cost ratio and for that reason picked the fuji supreme without considering other brands.

Raff

CBJ

by CBJ

Cool paint job on the new bike.

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice!

I think the Fuji SL/1 design has staying power. A lot of frames from that era (2007) look dated now, but mine still rides well, and I think still looks good. I can't say the same for the Altamura.

raff012

by raff012

Hi guys,

Just a quick update on the Fuji Supreme build. The bike is incredibly stiff, fast and looks amazing in person. The build comes to ~7.35kg in this spec (as seen in the pics below). I have purchased a lighter chain and cassette and will replace the wheelset with the eastons when the tyres come. This will shave at least 500g+ off putting it at a respectable <6.8kg :D. Will definitely get more pics when I can.

Weight build
Pics

Raff

TimmS

by TimmS

What cranks are on your SL1?
They look nice and light!

raff012

by raff012

http://www.catbikes.ch/crankse.htm

They are a version of the cat carbon cranks at 172.5mm and ~290g (not including chainring and standard square-type bottom bracket). Last I heard they are not readily avaliable, but the guy I bought it from quoted a full weight of ~<550g all up (not that I managed to confirm the weight though). It is suprisingly stiff and I cant tell the difference between my Dura Ace 7800 cranks although i'm only 70kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com