2012 Cervelo R5 VWD *Updated*

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

i'm 5'9 with shorter legs and a longer torso.
my S2 and S5s were both 51cm, fitted by a shop that always put me on the smaller size but most other shops recommended i be on a 54cm. i always felt a little cramped and compressed on the 51s even with a longer stem.

after a lot of back and forth, i finally decided to go with the 54cm as i simply felt more comfortable while still being in a fairly aggressive position and i love how the bike feels and more importantly how i feel on the bike.

hope this helps :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giant man

by giant man

gosh exactly the same height/body dimensions as me, thanks Stepehen, enjoy your R5 mate!

JummsBikeStudio

by JummsBikeStudio

Nice R5! I've got the same height as you and decide the same size also, hope it fits me :D

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

thanks !
i was kinda in between 51 and 54, but found the 54 to be much more comfortable, and never found a comfortable position on my 51cm S5 Team.

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

a couple updates

- steerer tube has been cut down
- picked up a Fizik Kurve Chameleon, but might exchange for the Bull after a few test rides

will post some new pictures soon

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

*update*

- Fizik Kurve Chameleon Saddle
- Cut steerer tube

soxiam

by soxiam

stephenjwhan wrote:i'm 5'9 with shorter legs and a longer torso.
my S2 and S5s were both 51cm, fitted by a shop that always put me on the smaller size but most other shops recommended i be on a 54cm. i always felt a little cramped and compressed on the 51s even with a longer stem.

after a lot of back and forth, i finally decided to go with the 54cm as i simply felt more comfortable while still being in a fairly aggressive position and i love how the bike feels and more importantly how i feel on the bike.

hope this helps :)

Can you tell me what your saddle height is as pictured?

JummsBikeStudio

by JummsBikeStudio

Thanks stephenjwhan, mine is done and very fit me with 130mm stem. My dimension is 555mm saddle-bar, 680mm saddle-bb :wink:

There's one thing I don't like about this frame is a handlebar stack, even I cut half of a headset cap off, it still higher than I get used more than 2cm :cry:

Reamens

by Reamens

A true work of art.
My dream :) :thumbup:

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

JummsBikeStudio wrote:Thanks stephenjwhan, mine is done and very fit me with 130mm stem. My dimension is 555mm saddle-bar, 680mm saddle-bb :wink:

There's one thing I don't like about this frame is a handlebar stack, even I cut half of a headset cap off, it still higher than I get used more than 2cm :cry:

Get a -17 degree stem, that should help a bit

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

@Reamens - thanks !

@JummsBikeStudio - yes a -17 degree stem would definitely help or you can get an even shorter headset cap.
my shop already put on a shorter cap for me and then you can or you can do what ryder hesjedal does and remove the upper headset cover all together :)

dellpan

by dellpan

What a great bike! :)
Trek Emonda SLR

mfcycling

by mfcycling

nice photo

dlin88

by dlin88

hi stephen,

I'm building my R5 Vwd now..
and I see u were able to fit SRAM exogram bb30 crank.
I thought the SRAM exogram bb30 was too short to fit BBright frame?

can you give me some input? If i get the bb30 SRAM exogram crank set, how do i make it fit? are there any special adapters needed?

thanks!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

@dlin88 - you are correct ! the bb30 cranks do not fit in the bbright BB. my cranks are GXP and fit into the bb using the enduro bb adapter. it works perfectly fine. i know some people will complain that the adapter will reduce stiffness of the bbright bb, but for me, and this completely personal, i haven't noticed a huge difference. i also believe there is a rotor adapter but not sure if its just for rotor cranks. i've heard good things about that adapter system tho.

@lovestheclimb - in comparison to my previous S5 Team and S2, this bike much much more comfortable. i like the geometry on the 54cm, coming from the 51cm which i found to be a bit too compact and aggressive. on this geo, i can still be in a good position while being comfortable. with that being said, i might opt for a 100mm stem when the season starts, feel slightly stretched out, but that's on my trainer so maybe it'll feel normal again on the road.

thanks for all the compliments !