Stoked! Exp001 - 5671g/12.47lb

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fitty4

by fitty4

Nice work! I'm going to copy your heatshrink idea and I'm working on a project that also involves opti-coat 2.0. Did you use it before you put on your decals or after?

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jhamlin38

by jhamlin38

I also prefer builds that require twice the thought as dollars to achieve something truly special. This will probably become a sticky
two observations:
1. I've been riding since 1987, built and tuned all my own bikes, and only dropped my chain inside once, because I got lazy, and didn't keep things clean and tidy. Why don't you loose the chain catcher? It's a waste of weight.
2. Brakes. It's interesting to hear that you're as confident with Assaults and lightweight brakes.
beuatiful build.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Is that carbon conical headset spacer made by Token?

Chris.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

djconnel

by djconnel

Fantastic work.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. :beerchug:

@ JkAlentejano I still might go tubulars for "special days" that would be local, but I felt I might as well train on the same things I 'compete' on every-day. I am considering building up a set of 20mm tubulars for a sub-950g set. Not a priority right now, too many other things are on my plate with work and projects. I could do a little vinyl on the crank art, true. Since my career is design and I'm also finally getting back in touch with my artwork recently, I'm looking into developing full vinyl-wrap for frames and components. It may be an effective, but affordable, alternative to paint with minor weight penalties.... it also helps that it helps my artwork remain complex: a frame painter told me that a frame in my art style would run $2k minimum in painter's fees because it is too complex and detailed.

@ monkeyburger - hoods, working on them. It's one of a few projects, but I'm hoping to make them an actual product to be sold.

@ konky - Tubulars do ride great, it's true. But the difference between tubular and clincher over 200+ mi of various road conditions and surfaces becomes so small that it's not worth it. I could justify riding tubulars for centuries along with a can of sealant in the back pocket (and a spare tub, obviously), but the costs of each tire is expensive for me at this time.

@ fitty4 - before... and after just because I used so little of it. One standard syringe of Opti-Coat is enough for two full size cars. I still have some left! Just be sure to clean the component with IPA solution before you apply the Opti-Coat (IPA is 50% water, 50% rubbing alcohol).

@ jhamlin38 - The chain catcher has only been used once, that I'm aware of, on a recent ride where the road hooked sharp to the right at nearly a full 180° turn and a change in grade from 1% to 10% (immediate change, not gradual). I attacked a little too early during the shift and I heard the chain catcher save the chain. I'll keep it on there, it's no big deal.

@ krzysiekmz - Yes, I have the old box for the headset here and it came with a carbon dustcap - took off the logos to what you see here. Unfortunately it looks like the only Token headsets on eBay by the same model name have alloy headcaps now... but I'm sure you can find another cap to match.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

How much weight did painting stoked! (at least twice!!), not to mention the s on the headtube, add?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Vinyl Decals. Added a few grams (6?) - I added it in with the frame weight.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Not sure if you'd be interested, but there are a few online shops selling home ano kits. The guy out of Buffalo, NY is pretty good. Never tried the anodizing kits yet but I've used some of their polishing kits before.

http://www.caswellplating.com/

Fabulous build - nice to finally see your bike!

Velofreak

by Velofreak

I would also support this machine as bike of the year. I like this builds with no logos. Most bikes out there are too filled up with logos... still this bike also scape to the too serious too boring full black look (mine included). The idea of anodizing all little parts together, with the same ano color, is something i always have dreamed about. I think, if you go clincher, you better go kimlin. I prefer something more warm looking in the tape, lizard skin looks too sticky, too plastic fantastic. I don't get the goal behind those hoods, i´m very curious about it... Awesome build. I love it that it has a great low weight with not too expensive components. The hole in the shifters seems a bit over the top, I prefer it without it. Congrats!!!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

How could I have missed this one!
Very unique and well thought out build.
Enjoy it Alex.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I like it. The hoods are not for me but who could argue with 4g!.

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Wow that is so impressive.
Obviously the result of a lot of time and care and deliberation.
Apart from the labeling (which disagrees with me in word, colour and font sorry) that's a truly enviable bike.
r o y g b i v

BobSantini

by BobSantini

I'm curious about that Smud saddle.
You say you find it comfortable for long rides because it's flexible.
It appears to rise steeply at the back and have a sag in the middle. Do you find yourself locked into one spot or can you slide your ass around as you like?
r o y g b i v

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It really depends on the angle you set it at: it can either cradle you or you can slide around on it as necessary.
The way I have it, I get a bit of both. Although I don't intend to slide around very often, I can and it's fine.
I believe however the shape was designed to cradle and not have a person slide around too much. A bit like those SMP saddles in intention. Cradling is ideal, sliding around is possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com