Canyon SLX (2012)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sheephead84

by sheephead84

Been a regular lurker on here for a while, thought it was probably about time I got some pictures posted of my Canyon. Its a 2012 SLX 9.0 Pro, had it since July now and its such a nice bike to ride. Fast and responsive, yet so comfortable at the same time. Not sure how much of that is down to the vcls seatpost, be interested to try it with something else fitted to find out but whatever it is, works.

Despite having it since July, i'm still tweaking the position. Had a bike fit in August, which I'm stil working around trying to find the best compromise.

Full specs;

Frameset: 2012 Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Pro -58cm
Groupset: Campagnolo Record 11s
Handlebars: Ritchey WCS Evo Curve
Bar Tape: Prologo Double Touch
Stem: Ritchey WCS 110mm (logo's removed and ti bolts fitted)
Chain catcher: K Edge
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Wheelset: Mavic Krysrium SLR WTS (logo / stickers removed)
Pedals: Look Keo Sprint

Weight is around 6.8kg as it stands although this was on an ebay scale so not sure how accurate that is

As said above still tweaking the position. Bars and hoods are set as the fitting, and drops are horizontal to the floor despite how it looks in the picture. No where as aesthically pleasing as most bikes on here due to the sizing (length of post exposed for a start which I don't like :( next size up would be too big) but ride makes up for it imo.

Any glaringly obvious places and suggestions to save weight would be appreciated, pedals, bars and seatpost are possibilities at the minute.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xFree

by xFree

WOW! it's a stunning bike. :thumbup:

david74

by david74

nice .... slx :thumbup:

sawyer

by sawyer

nice SLX!

I have a similar one in size 56.

Going tubular is where you'll get some big weight savings. Perhaps think about Blade Tis instead of the Sprint pedals? Obviously some tuning of bolts etc. if you're that way inclined ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

sheephead84

by sheephead84

Thanks for the comments guys

Pedals are definately on the list, not sure what yet as ive read a few bad things about blades breaking so thinking about picking up a set of carbon keo max and fitting ti axles instead. Also thinking about messing with the position a bit more by fitting an inline post but swapping out the stem for a 120mm. Should give me same reach but bring me forward a touch more as that picture makes it look like I sit hanging off the back of the bike. Also s chance to fit a much lighter post.

A set of carbon tubs would be nice, not sure I can justify them just yet..... Maybe next year :wink:

Juggler

by Juggler

Just be aware it can be tricky bizz to find a new stem... on the SLX Canyon seem to use an odd diameter (can't remember the meassurement). It deminishes your possibilities to Syntace, Ritchey (has to be direct from Canyon) or some odd Giant stems (as I recall).

But nice build... love the wheels.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

sheephead84

by sheephead84

Yeh its 1.25 or 1 1/4 diameter. Already struggling to find anywhere here in the u.k that sells the Ritchey ones, u.s seller on ebay has them at £64 but i'll get stung for tax, so keeping my eye out for a syntace (think its the F109) to come up.

I've had a specialized pro set in the back of the cupboard for a while which fits when you've taken the shim out and its 120mm, but the rise / drop on its too extreme with my saddle height unfortunately. so need something similar to what i've got now with a 6 degree drop.
Last edited by sheephead84 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattyb95

by mattyb95

There is a UK contact for Canyon who could possibly help with a Ritchey stem. If the bike is pretty new (forget exact timescales) I think they only charge €20 for an exchange.

sheephead84

by sheephead84

mattyb95 wrote:There is a UK contact for Canyon who could possibly help with a Ritchey stem. If the bike is pretty new (forget exact timescales) I think they only charge €20 for an exchange.

Thanks for this, will give them a call and see what they say.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Well, I think it looks beautiful in size 58.

sawyer

by sawyer

sheephead84 wrote:Thanks for the comments guys

Pedals are definately on the list, not sure what yet as ive read a few bad things about blades breaking so thinking about picking up a set of carbon keo max and fitting ti axles instead. Also thinking about messing with the position a bit more by fitting an inline post but swapping out the stem for a 120mm. Should give me same reach but bring me forward a touch more as that picture makes it look like I sit hanging off the back of the bike. Also s chance to fit a much lighter post.

A set of carbon tubs would be nice, not sure I can justify them just yet..... Maybe next year :wink:

Recommend the Ritchey one bold zero setback. I have one on mine and it works a treat and matches the bar and stem.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bssjackson

by bssjackson

Love Canyons wish we could get them here in the USA:(. Great looking ride!