Aluminium Bike Thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Its a good build: Be careful with the KCNC crank, I snapped one at the pedal screw thread as, due to the drilling out of the crank arm, its a stress concentration. After maybe 5000kms? . Creaking may be your first indication

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dcj9

by dcj9

Timo, i really dig your bike, its perfect :thumbup:

tigoose

by tigoose

Is that it???? No more aluminium bikes in the bunch..

wilson78

by wilson78

Nothing fancy to add to this thread, its aluminium so it meets the thread criteria but is only a winter bike. Whilst its far from lustworthy I really can't grumble about it as it does exactly what i need it to do, and it does it all rather well!
Spec is nothing special, SRAM Rival, Campag Shamal wheels, basic 3T bar and stem etc.
Weighs in at 8kg without the mudguards ( not shown ), or a fraction less than 8.4kg with, which seems fairly respectable for a winter hack.

My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

monkeyburger wrote: I'll post mine when the sun is up here.
... :oops:...erm... Got busy. :roll:
Anyways, here's MY stash.
1. Giant TCR
TCR Limited Edition.jpg

2.Mosso Drop Bar MTB
Mosso 680 XC2.jpg

3.My next victim...Courtesy of Chain Reaction. 105£ with free shipping to my buddy in Switzerland.Crazy Cheap :thumbup: :thumbup:
Pro Lite Cuneo.jpg

Keep 'em coming
Monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

theosaurus

by theosaurus

nice stable monkey burger.
I can't wait to see how the prolite turns out. I was thinking of getting one for racing, how do they perform?
yes, but how much does it weigh?

Timo

by Timo

tigoose wrote:Is that it???? No more aluminium bikes in the bunch..

Is it just me, or do more forum members wonder why aluminium seems to have become a niche for high(er) end bikes? Carbon has become the material for competition bikes but steel and titanium still have their place as they are considered "classic" and "sexy". Why is it that aluminium failed to remain an attractive material for frame building?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

markyboy

by markyboy

Here is mine,just built this up for winter,Trek 2.1 with full ultegra and rs80 wheelset.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Stockie

by Stockie

My custom painted Cervélo SLT (satin black, with glossy decals)

I Will make the leap

ecguevara

by ecguevara

Timo wrote:Carbon has become the material for competition bikes but steel and titanium still have their place as they are considered "classic" and "sexy". Why is it that aluminium failed to remain an attractive material for frame building?

A large part of of that is because of marketing and economics.

Aluminum has become so cheap and commonplace in our everyday lives. The ease at which aluminum can be manufactured and hydroformed into different tube shapes has driven its cost down. You can buy department store bikes for $30. Aluminum technology has "matured", there is very little that can be done with improving it.

People relate "cheap" to "inferior".

Carbon fiber is a "new" technology, even if CF has been around since the 1960s. Manufacturing carbon fiber frames is a labor-intensive process (and carbon lay-up critical), which tends to drive the cost of manufacture up.

Titanium is hard to work with, literally. This generally limits tube shapes to straight ones. Titanium manufacturing is a specialty and this drives its cost up. Its availability to a small market makes it more desirable.

Steel is well, steel. Like aluminum steel technology is already matured. Since it has fallen from the mainstream choice of frame material it has acquired a "classic" status. There's always a market for classic things - the oldies and the fans.

A lot of people buy bikes knowing very little (I'm putting myself on the wire here) of the technical merits of the frame material. Most of them just buy into the marketing put forward by the companies, driven by the market and social economics.

Is it just me, or do more forum members wonder why aluminium seems to have become a niche for high(er) end bikes?

Companies like Cannondale has heavily invested in developing aluminum (the CAAD). Giant has always made their high-end TCR line to include aluminum. Other companies like Specialized have "resurrected" aluminum as well.

When people hear aluminum they think "common". But these companies are doing something new and different with aluminum. And being "different" sells.

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

^^^^^
Reply pretty much spot on. As a material or technology becomes mainstream having reached a perceived zenith of development, it becomes less "interesting" to a certain market niche (crazy people like us). While it is true that there are some aluminium frames out there that exhibit the worst of the commonly held perceptions about this material (vibration, lousy feedback etc) there are many that are beautiful to ride and a bargain as well.
At 53kg, my Giant seems to handle extremely well and feels more than stiff enough on climbs. To my weird logic I value this bike more than my others as I know that If I destroy the frame I can replace it for about $300. With my carbon bike, I dreaded every nick and scratch. Again-perception.
I'll build up the Pro Lite with the parts left from my Cervelo and see how it feels. If it is comfortable over 180km I'll leave it as is. If is is harsh, It will become my rain bike (of which I seem to be building quite a collection...).
I remember lusting after the first Klien road frames in, what, 1980? They seemed otherworldly at the time.

Have a great evening,
Monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

A lovely Stoemper

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/05/b ... -stoemper/

There was also a German or Scandinavian (iirc) brand who made unreal alu frames. Chain Reaction had them. There were some threads on here. The name escapes me for the time being, but damn I was close to pulling the trigger on one. There was just an issue with the headsets that put me off it...

Alu is so under rated. A Cyfac would be... :thumbup:

thencameyou

by thencameyou

@ TP: Principia frames from Denmark. The issue with the headsets was due to tapered fork steerer tubes (innovation well before this was picked up by the mass market)

masters324

by masters324

Regret selling it! It had so much more potential!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Principia, bingo!

*jumps on to Google*