Scott Foil 20 -- current weight 7.31kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

roberto21

by roberto21

Hey guys, been a long time follower but just recently started posting on here. This is my first nice road bike. By no means is is a WW bike but my goal is to get it to 7.250kg. I'll keep the first post updated as I modify/build it to my goal weight. Scott's site says it it is supposed to weigh in at 16.3 lbs without pedals or cages. Current weight is 7.31kg / 16.12 lbs as listed below.

Scott FOIL 20 (Current Specs)
- Ultegra Gruppo
- KMC X10SL Gold Chain
- Ritchey WCS Carbon Matrix Stem 110mm/ -6 deg
- Specialized bars
- 50mm Chinese Carbon Tubulars w/ Novatec Hubs w/ Continental Sprinter Tires
- 30mm Reynolds Carbon Clinchers w/ Vittoria Tires
- Blackburn Carbon Cages
- Speedplay Zero Stainless Pedals
- Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow Saddle
- Garmin Edge 510 w/ Barfly Mount

stock 4/21/12...

new wheels 6/27/12...

new wheels installed 6/27/12...

weight (new wheels) 6/27/12 ...

new stem and chain 7/16/12...

weight (new stem and chain) 7/31/12...

new saddle and blacked out the cockpit 8/24/12...

weight (new saddle and cockpit) 8/24/12...

Reynolds and Garmin 5/5/13...
Last edited by roberto21 on Tue May 07, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 15 times in total.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Ritchey Road Logic -- 7.56 kg
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Nice ride, looks like a good setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

Looks good; do you have any more (and bigger) pictures?

roberto21

by roberto21

Getting the cables adjusted Wednesday morning. I'll get some good pictures towards the end of the week. I'll get some pics of my other bikes too.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

p3tro3

by p3tro3

Hi,

I am also thinking of buying this bike and would really like to know what is the real weight. Advertised weight is 7.4kg but I doubt thats correct. Did you have a chance to weigh it already. How is the ride, do you feel road bumps a lot? Do you have aching hands afterwards?

roberto21

by roberto21

just picked the bike up from the shop today. going out for a ride later today after work and possibly tomorrow. will have a little review, pics, and weight this weekend.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

TerryKoh

by TerryKoh

Hi Roberto21,
Would really appreciate your insight to your new bike. I actually placed an order for Foil20 and upon checking with Scott, I will only get mine on April'12.
Do note:- Scott mentioned there was a production issue with the first batch of Foils. Symptoms would be slipping seat post (while riding) and potential frame crack near the seat post bolt if torque is too high. So, my April batch would be of a new production line and should be free of this symptoms.

Share with us your riding experience. See if it jive with the latest review by bikeradar.com
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 0-12-45850

Cheers,
Terry Koh

roberto21

by roberto21

i forgot to get more pictures this weekend but did get some good riding in. rained Saturday but managed to get about 90 miles in, all of which i was very pleased. i did have some issues with the seat post dropping but eventually got it tight enough to stay without cracking the frame. (had this done at the local Scott shop)

as most reviews have said, the frame is super stiff, yet pretty comfortable. not too jarring on the hands, but it is stiff. when out of the saddle sprinting or climbing, there is very little flex. it gives you a lot of confidence to hammer down and go all out. the steering is very responsive but not twitchy. it gives you a lot of confidence through the turns. the Ultegra groupset works flawlessly as expected. the wheels are a little heavy but do the job. i had no problems with them making noise or flexing too much. i am not a fan of the Selle Italia saddle but that is all personal preference and has really been my only complaint so far.

overall i am very happy with the bike. as most reviews have said, it is fast and stiff. the flat grey looks great against the white bars, seat, etc and the grey groupset. ill update as i get more miles on the bike if i have any problems or notice anything our of the ordinary.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

TerryKoh

by TerryKoh

wow... thanks Roberto for your insight. I can't wait to get mine in April.
Glad to hear from the user like you instead of relying on all the reviews which can sometimes be looped sided.

I was contemplating between Scott Foil 20 vs Giant TCR Advanced SL...I'm not sure if you have compared them both.

roberto21

by roberto21

those were the two bikes i was looking into too. i tested a Giant TCR Advanced SL2 from a shop a few times. felt very similar to the way the Scott Foil feels, stiff and fast. i think i would have been happy with either, but i got a better deal on the Scott so thats the direction i went.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

drewb

by drewb

TerryKoh wrote:Scott mentioned there was a production issue with the first batch of Foils. Symptoms would be slipping seat post (while riding) and potential frame crack near the seat post bolt if torque is too high. So, my April batch would be of a new production line and should be free of this symptoms.

I am about to receive a Foil frame and will build it up myself. In respect to the slipping seat post - would you guys suggest putting some carbon fibre assembly gel (or similar) onto the post before assembly? (and obviously only tighten to specified torque setting.)

TerryKoh

by TerryKoh

thanks Roberto... yeah, I had a better deal on Scott and the other thing is my wife prefers the Scott look and color scheme :)

drewb, yes that would help. another thing is to make sure when you tighten the bolt for the seat post, dont over tighten it. torque should be 12Nm if not mistaken but i could be wrong... best is to write up to Scott to inquire.

roberto21

by roberto21

drewb wrote:
TerryKoh wrote:Scott mentioned there was a production issue with the first batch of Foils. Symptoms would be slipping seat post (while riding) and potential frame crack near the seat post bolt if torque is too high. So, my April batch would be of a new production line and should be free of this symptoms.

I am about to receive a Foil frame and will build it up myself. In respect to the slipping seat post - would you guys suggest putting some carbon fibre assembly gel (or similar) onto the post before assembly? (and obviously only tighten to specified torque setting.)

thats exactly what the shop did for me. slap some carbon assembly grease on there and tighten to specs. i think its 12Nm but again, i had the mechanic at the store do it for me so i wasnt sure what the actual spec was. he rides a Foil too so i was comfortable with him handling it.
Last edited by roberto21 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1

campbellrae

by campbellrae

Hi,

Just wondering what length the seatpost on this bike is? I' looking into one, but I'm awkwardly proportioned, so need a 58cm top tube but an 87cm BB-saddle. Looking at your pic you have quite a lot of seatpost exposed, is there much more before the minimum insert?

Thanks,

Campbell.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roberto21

by roberto21

i don't have a torque wrench to tighten my seat post to the setting if i take it out, but next time im at the shop ill check. i think there are a few inches left though from what i remember.
pedal damn it.

My Bikes:
Felt F4X
Felt Edict 1