Wilier Cento1 SL Build - Now 6.14kg 5/8/13

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well my new (to me) frame arrived yesterday and the remaining parts should be coming in over the next week - I figured a build thread was in order!

The frame; courtesy of fellow weenie WCL4 (who's forthcoming build I'm eagerly awaiting) in a size Large

With FD and RD hangers, cable guides and adjusters.

Fork (yet to be cut for me)

Update 10/13/12

As of 5/8/13

Enjoy
Last edited by Imaking20 on Wed May 08, 2013 3:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.

kgt

by kgt

A classic! Very descent weight considering the integrated seatpost and all the hardware. How do you intend to build it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Well let's just say the build is sure to ruffle feathers. This bike will be raced and keeping similar components to my current Felt F3 was a priority in case of failures. Rather than play coy, I'll add a parts list to the original post. :beerchug:

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The group arrived today.

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Wow this is some sweet parts, please get on with it sir :wink:

gigantor7

by gigantor7

Congrats on the new part arrivals! I was super stoked when my SRAM rival parts came in a week ago. SRAM Red components are so beautiful :shock:

Also, that is a very interesting weave on the frame. Is that a cosmetic layer? Very very curious as to how it rides.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Believe me, patience is not one of my stronger character traits. Waiting for everything to arrive is killing me but I've decided to wait for everything before I begin any assembly... A partially built bike will cause even more anxiety!
I'm hoping the remaining parts arrive tomorrow.

Regarding the carbon design; Wilier somehow imprints their logo (fleur de lis) in the weave. It is only really visible in direct light - it's a nice touch.

kgt

by kgt

That's the special carbon weave itself that looks like Wilier's fleur de lys. It's not "imprinted" or anything like that.

gareth25

by gareth25

hi will be a nice build i have a cento 1 with sram red but sorry to be a bearer of bad news but it looks like you have bought a bb30 chainset looking at the photo of the bearings. this wont fit on a cento :? . im running a sram red gpx 24mm spindle chainset with wiliers push fit bearings and adapters it say over size on the frame but thats not refering to bb30. hope im wrong but i dont think i am.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

kgt: my response about the weave was intentionally vague as I am not familier with their exact technique. Your response doesn't seem to directly answer the original question either though. I've read that it's woven into the external layer which adds the visual effect but also supposed to offer a bit of vibration damping... is this to mean it IS a cosmetic layer and there's (presumably) UD carbon underneath or ?? :noidea:

gareth: you've crushed me a little bit. You're correct that I've mistakenly ordered a BB30 crank with my new group. That makes 3 SRAM bb30 cranks in my garage and no GXP :(
Now the scramble to get a GXP crank hopefully in time to ride this weekend. Argh.

kgt

by kgt

I am not a carbon expert either but I think that the final cosmetic layer has this pattern itself. There is also a nano zinc oxide resin used in order "to make the carbon stronger and more impact resistant".

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Thanks for the knowledge :thumbup:

So in searching for a crank solution I'm between simply swapping my Exogram BB30 crank for a GXP version (which will sport Praxis rings) or picking up a used 2010 Super Record crank. Weight is nearly identical I think. My priorities are shifting, stiffness, and weight - in that order.

Opinions?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Oh, and the wheels arrived today!

...still no bars or stem though - paid for them on August 24th :evil:

kgt

by kgt

Imaking20 wrote:So in searching for a crank solution I'm between simply swapping my Exogram BB30 crank for a GXP version (which will sport Praxis rings) or picking up a used 2010 Super Record crank. Weight is nearly identical I think. My priorities are shifting, stiffness, and weight - in that order. Opinions?

Record with Sram? :noidea: Don't think so...

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

Imaking20 wrote:kgt: my response about the weave was intentionally vague as I am not familier with their exact technique. Your response doesn't seem to directly answer the original question either though. I've read that it's woven into the external layer which adds the visual effect but also supposed to offer a bit of vibration damping... is this to mean it IS a cosmetic layer and there's (presumably) UD carbon underneath or ?? :noidea:

No its the real weave - it is different again on the Zero 7, which uses gas entrained carbon to reduce the voids and increase stength
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com