2012 Cinelli Pro Best Of Italo'79 *** Now with pics ***

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

well, having stuck with my alloy-framed Colnago for a few years, I thought it was time to treat myself to something a little more 'special'.

this morning, i pushed the button on the following build:-

Cinelli Pro Best Of frame/fork - size XL - Italo'79 colour scheme
Cinelli Ram 3 stem/bar combo - Italo'79 colour scheme
Campag Chorus groupset (dual pivot brakes, compact chainrings
Campag Bullet Ultra 50 wheelset (clincher)
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX 23mm tyres
Selle Italia SLR XP saddle
Cinelli Gel Cork tape

i was originally going to go with Shamal Ultra wheels, but switched to the Bullets as most of my riding is on the flat. i was also lining up to go for a Deda Super Scuro build with Athena, but this came out at just a few hundred more, so was an opportunity not to be missed.

not sure when it's going to turn up, but will update this thread with lots of photos as soon as it does.

no idea how much it will weigh, but i know the ram bar/stem and the wheels are not the lightest (but they are stiff and fast). i would have loved to go with a super record setup, but if knew what i was paying for the bike (which i will not print), you would understand!

very very excited! :D
Last edited by fivethirtyonepm on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roel W

by Roel W

So like this one:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

yup... that frameset... but with campy and campy 50mm carbon hoops.

touchdown is expected for next weekend, so i'll post up pics then.

wilson78

by wilson78

Ah ha a fellow PH'er on WW! :beerchug:
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I found the RAM's flexy in the drops but non the less they look great, can't wait to see the bike...

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

wilson78 wrote:Ah ha a fellow PH'er on WW! :beerchug:

:waving:

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

it's built... just paid for it and should receive it on monday.

very excited!

am now very tempted by the deal ribble are doing on speedplay zero stainless pedals (about £87), but i've read lots of horror stories about people not getting on with them. i currently ride shimano ultegra spd's which i seem to get on fine with, so perhaps i should stay with this rather than spend more, save another 100g and risk issues?... what say ww?

gravity

by gravity

ive been on this route before where i was unable to make up my mind whether or not to stay with what i have which is really to my liking/comfort or go for something new which i like aesthetically. the thing is, i knew that it will bug me forever even if i were to choose to stick with what i have.

so the solution is to just take the risk, buy it, try it, if you like it then good for you but if you dont like it, you'll lose $87 but in return you'll get a peace of mind.

i really look forward to see your build!

steampunk

by steampunk

Can't wait to see pics, I've been dreaming of a build just like this! The smallest Best Of is still a shade to large for me though. Lucky Man!

ultyguy

by ultyguy

fwiw- I tried the speedplays and decided that they were just too finicky for me, but I have very little patience. Picked up some of the newer Ultegra carbons (solid and light!) to add to my fleet of other models and it's just extremely easy to just use one set up for all my bikes and have cheap options on the training bike etc.

Looking forward to your build, I've been salavating over a Stratos for a while but have just ordered a Canyon Ultimate Slx frameset so I guess I'll have to keep dreaming.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

it's arrived!

i haven't yet taken it out of the box as i'm stuck in the office, but i will get to work this evening.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

right, here goes.... no time yet to set it up. going for a bike fitting on monday to make sure everything fits properly (and so i don't have to cut the isp)

first impressions are fantastic... on an aethetic note, i think yellow tyres would have worked better than white, but that is just me being petty. the bike is pretty light, but i haven't weighed it yet. i know that it will be way way way heavier than many bikes at the same price, but that's life. i can see at least 1.5lbs of weight savings just by looking at it (lighter wheels, cut off the isp and put on a one-piece seat/seatpost combo, lighter bar/stem combo than the ram, various ti bolts etc, ultremo tyres etc etc etc etc).

i am pretty chuffed though...

anyways... here are some crappy phone pics to tide you lot over....

out with the old, in with the new... the colnago will be hitting the classifieds very shortly, for a VERY good price.

hope you like... :D

wilson78

by wilson78

Looks very nice, with a good, usable build spec.
Not sure about yellow tires though myself...although can see why you may think they are a good idea!
You do need to post the weight as well, no excuses now :wink:
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635

redbeard

by redbeard

What kind of ISP topper is that using? Would you know a weight or be able to have a pic of it outside of the frame? Maybe its just an FSA style? thanks!
I miss the Jerk because your stem is still too short.
Your saddle is probably too high as well.
Oh, and your cleats too far forward.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

i have the yellow tyres on order now... i think they will look much better than the whites (i don't really do the whole 'stealth' thing which you will see if you look at my colnago in the classifieds! lol)... the whites are also in the classifieds for a knock-down price.

i only have a bathroom scale at the moment so i will get the bike weighed properly when it goes to the bike shop for the fitting on monday.

i will get a pic of the isp topper and a weight when i can... it's a cinelli-branded quill arrangement with carbon expanders... it feels like it weighs a fair bit, so i suspect it would actually be lighter to chop off the isp and replace with a clamp and lightweight seatpin (the frame actually comes with a collar for that very purpose).

i'm just working out at the moment whether to swap the chorus brakes for my planet x forged jobbies and the campag qr's for my planet x carbo/ti jobbies.... for the sake of saving 150g or so, i'm not sure it worth straying from the full campag thing... and having just put on 320g's worth of shimano spd pedals on there, i doubt it is going to win any medals as a ww-build... but it is mighty pretty and the frame is just divine... the pics don't show it, but the double oval downtube (like a rounded off 'x' section) is a total work of art, as are squared off seatstays.

loving it!