Trek SC 7 Series

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Hello everyone,
I was able to sell my BMC TM01 frame for a good price and I got a Trek SC 7 series frame from my local shop to build up into my new TT rig. I was looking at doing a sc 9.9 project one and had even gone as far as to ask the dealer how long for one to ship but decided to just go with the lower model; I didn't want to run into the same issues that I had with my BMC of the frame not being the correct size and being trapped by the integrated systems. I think that with some work and thought I can get this bike to have very similar aero capabilities as the 9.9 but at a lower weight (this is weight weenies right?)

So here is the frame and its weight, weight was done on a walmart scale but I think it is close:

And the fork and rear integrated brake components:

So the initial build list is something like this:
Frame- Speed Concept 7 series (stripped decals and paint)
Fork- Speed Concept 7 series fork (stripped of paint, decals and cut to length)
Handlebars- 3T Brezza 2 bars
Shifters- SRAM carbon
Brake levers- SRAM carbon
Stem- 3T Ergostem
Saddle-Fizik Arionne tri
Front brake- Tri-Rig Omega
Rear Brake- Trek integrated rear brake (might try and tune it alittle bit)
Crank- S-975 Quarq
Rings- Sram 53/39 TT rings and Osymetric 54/42 rings (to test)
Front D- SRAM red black 2011
Rear D- SRAM red black 2011
Cables- Yoko cables
Chain- KMC Gold 10 speed
Cassette- Ultegra 11-25
Wheels- Cheap aluminum hoops for training and my Zipp 808s for races

The eventual upgrades for next season would be:
Handlebars- Pro Missile Bars
Stem- Pro Integrated Missile stem
Wheels- Lightweight or Zipp Disc as well to match the 808 front

Not sure what weight I will be able to get down to. Hoping for sub 17 if possible which I think is possible. I am taking the frame to an auto paint shop today to have it soda blasted but I'm not sure how much that will save. Have heard as much as 150g for the frame from some people so I'm optimistic! Bike will mostly be used for trainer rides for the bulk of the winter and so I decided to go with the ergostem thing so that I can adjust my front end while I train. Does anyone know if I could replace the fork with something else? Feel like I could get something much lighter with equal aero properties.

Will try and keep this thread up to date but it might take me awhile to build this one up!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Had my first ride on it today; its pretty good. Front wheel is a stand in for my 808 front, it was damaged and zipp sent me a new one and I'm just waiting for it to finish gluing up. Not sure how I feel about the gold stuff, might get rid of it or maybe get rid of the red in the cockpit?

Weight is with Fizik saddle, bottle, garmin, and everything. Still hoping to bring it down some :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NGMN

by NGMN

This bike looks 10 times better than with the paint I think. Very nicely done.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I couldn't take all of the paint off, some of sections where the tubes are oddly shaped I had a hard time sanding without risking the carbon below. So I just left it there and said close enough. Lost about a pound from the frame and fork from what I took off. Had a body shop put on a clear coat that they suggested, can't recall the name, and then I put a few coats of aerospace 303 on it for some added protection. I kind of like the look of the nude carbon, you can see all the bonding and different lay ups and stuff and its kind of cool on one of these complex tube to tube frames.

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Bike looks great!

I've considered Osymetric rings on my speed concept, but I hear that installation can be a royal pain in the ass. How did you find it?
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 with dumping the gold and the red. The stripped frame will look good all black. Is that a Profil?

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

@g_doraz Thanks man! The rings were not that bad to setup although it is mostly because I am using a friction shifter for the front. Thus you just have to be mindful when you shift and when you ride you might have to trim the front abit more than on a normal indexed shifter.

@Geoff I think you're right, kind of alot going on now that I look at it! I might switch to raw aluminum or silver on those parts to match the metal parts of the frame, any thoughts? The bottle is one that my grandpa gave me from when he and my uncle were doing time trials back in the 70s and 80s, its labelled BPP but I couldn't tell you a thing about it other than that.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I really love the 'raw' look you left on the frame, especially the fork crown!
I've saved the image of that in my folder of 'inspiration projects'... really great work there, man.

:thumbup:

The 303 is a temporary solution. It definitely works, but you need to re-apply it often. Next time you have the frame available for re-build, maybe coat it with Opti-Coat. It's a permanent solution, no need to re-apply.

As for the gold bits on the drivetrain, personally I would have gone with silver just to match the alloy showing through on the frame. Along the same lines, if you have time: sand off the 3T graphic work on the handlebars, bringing it to a 'raw carbon' look. Apply 303 or Opti-Coat of course.
But that's just my minimalist mindset, only my humble opinion. By all means you should rock what you want to and ride the heck out of that bike.
It looks really strong and intentional!
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

NGMN

by NGMN

so what was the final frame weight after stripping?

grid256

by grid256

You lost a pound in paint! Impressed.

Krull

by Krull

NGMN wrote:so what was the final frame weight after stripping?

would be interesting!

great looking bike, i like the pure carbon-look.

kulcha

by kulcha

I think changing the chainring nuts n bolts will make your crankset looks stealthier :)

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Thanks for the complements guys! the frameset got down to 1199g on my scale (or -228g) and the fork lost 76g so full weight savings of 287g. Not quite the full pound I was boasting about but I'm still happy with some free weight loss :thumbup:

istigatrice

by istigatrice

shoopdawoop wrote:frameset got down to 1199g on my scale (or -228g)

:shock: is this lead paint or something?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

No, not lead based paint. The 200g+ is typical for most deep-profiled frames.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com