My humble companion

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

It was a long time ago that i joined this forum, but haven't really cared about introducing myself or my ride.
I'm Charles, 23. I study medicine. And this would be my ride. Pic is crappy, will get around to shoot a better one with a proper camera, drive side, chain in largest gear etc.. )

Frame : Canyon Ultimate CF
Groupset : 2011 Campagnolo Chorus ( 50-34, 11-25 )
Wheelset : Ambrosio Nemesis - Campagnolo Record - DT Aerolite ( 32/32 )
Tubs : Veloflex Criterium
QR : Zipp Aero Ti
Stem : Syntace F119
Handlebar : 3T Rotundo LTD
Bar Tape : Zipp
Seatpost : sanded UD Ritchey WCS Carbon 27.2
Saddle : San Marco Regale Carbon FX
Pedals : Speedplay Zero Ti
Bottle " cage " : Vincero

Weight was 6754g with Vittoria's CX Evo tubular, should probably be the same now. Wheelset is quite heavy at 1620g, but i just love it. Ride is exceptional. A great bike altogether.

Last edited by CarlTroy on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Now that is a no-nonsense classy ride. Really like the components you've gone with and the whole build looks so right.

However sort that rear QR as it isn't aero at the moment! :smartass:

Happy riding!

caballero

by caballero

whats happened to the pic ???

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

CarpetFibre wrote:Now that is a no-nonsense classy ride. Really like the components you've gone with and the whole build looks so right.

However sort that rear QR as it isn't aero at the moment! :smartass:

Happy riding!

Unfortunately the rear dropout would not allow the closure of the QR in aero position, so i decided to do it rough...all the more training :lol:

@caballero
Seems fine to me :noidea:

fa63

by fa63

The picture is not working for me, either.

mrfish

by mrfish

Very nice. My only suggestion might be a non setback post if you're happy with the saddle position

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

Is the picture working ok now?

ross

by ross

Needs more pics and less cameraman shadows 8)

Agree with the non setback seatpost

Nice ride 8)

fa63

by fa63

And a zero offset seatpost :)

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

:thumbup:

Right you are, but thing is in reality i need a 52cm frame, the one in the pic is a 54cm. But i hadn't had the chance to test ride these frames..and at the time i was only factoring in my inseam, but not the length of my torso and arms. Rookies make mistakes
Next build will be with a 52cm frame. I love this ride still. It's my first road bike, and it is the best money that i have ever spent.
I'll update with pictures over the next weekend! :beerchug:

mrfish

by mrfish

If the frame is too long you should get a shorter stem / bars rather than moving the saddle back / forwards to make the bike the right length. The saddle should be positioned front-rear so that you can pedal smoothly with good engagement of leg and gluteus muscles while also supporting your torso with core muscles rather than your arms. So no matter what frame you choose, the bottom bracket, saddle and bars should be in the same relationship to one another.

Now coming back to the question of a 52cm or 54cm frame, it depends on a few things:
1) If you would prefer to have the saddle pushed back a few cm from where it is now (will better engage glutes rather than quads and also allow your core to support more of your upper body weight)
2) If you would prefer to have the bars lower than they are now (and if you push the seat back you might try raising the bars as they will otherwise feel lower and longer)
3) Whether after choosing the saddle position you need a stem shorter than 9cm (rule of thumb)

If yes to any of these, probably a 52cm frame would be better for you.

But that said I would not rush out and get another frame immediately but first try to get the saddle / bars / bottom bracket exactly where you want them and test ride this, even if it means using a 6cm stem. Then consult a fitter or experienced coach to get advice and fine tune your position. Then get the frame size which works best for you. This will take time but will save you money in the long run.

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

Well i could have elaborated a bit more in my previous post, that's for sure! :thumbup:
I've had this bike for almost one and a half year, and i've had enough time to find the perfect position on the bike, it's just that with this frame, this means a 100mm stem to go with it, and i would much rather prefer a 120mm one. A 52cm frame would allow me to run a 120mm stem.
Other than that the bike is perfect as it is now for me, and i would never get rid of it, even if a get another frame ( Canyon's upcoming Ultimate CF SLX is a candidate ). I would just simply build up another bike! Things should be clear now :beerchug:

CaptainP

by CaptainP

Maybe a driveside picture?

Juggler

by Juggler

CaptainP wrote:Maybe a driveside picture?

Captain, oh Captain... you are so right :)

PS. Now that "Fixie-King.dk" has crashed, we might establish a "Spontan-tour" thread in here... :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlTroy

by CarlTroy

Look for an update over the next week :beerchug: I'm going to try and take some quality pictures!