Colnago Special EPQ

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's a C59 with an EPS downtube. The top tube is also an EPS top tube that's been "reworked" on the seat cluster end in order to fit into the C59 lug. Damn, that's two sentences. But I tried :).
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Excellent!

Thank you :beerchug:

mrfish

by mrfish

Excellent build and attention to detail, I think it will go well with the rest of your stable.

It did remind me somewhat of Stefan's bike in the same colour scheme.

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Cal, did you do something to the brake track?

Montana

by Montana

:thumbup: PERFECT!!!!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@mrfish, Stefan's bike was an EPS in PR99. Same colour scheme as this except I was lucky enough to get Colnago to make some modifications. Fewer logos for instance. I used to love seeing Stefan's photos of his bike and daily rides in the "On the road today" section. Not really sure why he felt the need to remove all his photos from the forum when he decided to "take his ball and go home" and stop playing with us. Artists! :)

Damjan, I didn't do anything to the brake track. Why do you ask? Nemesis rims are not "machined" like say, a Mavic Open Pro. But I am very pleased with the braking. Had almost forgotten what a treat it is to brake on a nice alloy surface as opposed to carbon. And no, I have no need for disk brakes on a bike like this.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

majklnajt

by majklnajt

I am asking because the surface looks to me like it was brushed with sandpaper.
My classic wheelset is made from Mavic Reflex rims, which needed a bit of time to get that real stopping power.
At the beginning, there was like only a half brake power. Not to mention when it was wet....
So I thought you maybe brushed it to have all the stopping power from day one.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nope, the rims have not been touched. Really happy with the braking but the ride and stability is really something. I'm building another set for my C50 and will try the Veloflex Arenbergs on them. They are the new 25mm profile, as are the newest Roubaixs. The Roubaixs shown in this thread are the 24mm profile and quite frankly, not sure I want anything wider in a tubular road tire. But I'll try them to see for myself. Clinchers are a different story. I have a set of HED Belgiums and allowing an open clincher to "spread out" a bit actually does seem to soften the clincher feel somewhat.

sastre

by sastre

Colnago

Arnt the rims ceramic coated my f20s are and have worn away which looks taty thinking I'm gona sand them are they your fist set of roubaix tyres how munch puncher protection do they offer I wonder. Like the paint job by the way. Has anyone managed to keep the ceramic coating on there rims.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's just the anodization. No ceramic coating. Eventually they will likely wear through the anodization maybe but I kind of like that look. The newer Nemesis have a little darker anodization and more grey in colour than these. I'll try to take a picture side by side to show you sometime today perhaps.
As for the puncture resistance of the Roubaixs, and Veloflex Carbons for that matter, I am very pleased. On my third set of Carbons and have yet to have to fix a puncture on the road. They seem fairly cut resistant as well, unlike the vitttoria open Corsa Cx clinchers that I used to ride some time ago.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Are your hubs the silver or the black Record ? Can you post a pic of the hubs/spokes ?

I ask because I originally built mine on black record hubs and I was not so satisfied with the color. This is not "important" but somewhat I dislike esthetically

when built with black record hubs,
- the silver spokes doesn't look good with the black hubs
- the black spokes doesn't look good with the gray rims

The silver Record hubs are difficult to find and expensive, so I went with Centaur Century gray hubs, the colors fit better and the hubs are as good as the Record, only a bit heavier.

here is a pic of mine ( with NOS Centaur hubs and GP4 rims, Silver DT Revos and Alu nipples ), on the Cross bike where also match the bike color :)

Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@SalsaLover: yes, I know what you mean about choosing the spokes/hubs/wheels. I used the black Record hubs. I knew I wanted the silver spokes. They glisten and they transition well with the silver eyelets of the rim and were just right for this build. I like the black hubs against the carbon forks and stays, but it's something I thought about, like you.

Here's a couple pics:

Front hub...

Rear hub...

And here's a head on shot of the front end witht the Garmin 800 mounted on the Barfly mount. Seems I forgot any sort of head on shot in the original postings...

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That was why I went for some older, NOS, Chorus hubs - as they were stainless.

Apparently Campag are going stainless again as, surprise surprise, not all of us want black hubs.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Tinea Pedis wrote:That was why I went for some older, NOS, Chorus hubs - as they were stainless.

Apparently Campag are going stainless again as, surprise surprise, not all of us want black hubs.

Wow, that's big news. Can you share your source for this info, or are there more details about what's coming? Thanks!

I built a set of Nemesis on silver Chorus hubs and love the look. New C hubs in silver would be awesome -- more so if the used the old tooling :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

The "apparently" part is crucial.

It did come from someone who works at one of the Australian Campag distributor, so he's not inclined to make it up.

So chances could be he was told when he was last in Italy or on the phone to them, however they are not at production level. Really don't know. Sorry.