Incoming Crumpton SL

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LionelB

by LionelB

frame weight just in for you weenies 992g

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Amazing frame. I always liked Crumpton bikes and their simple design. If I could spend $5000 on frameset, Crumpton or Baum would be my choice.
Enjoy Your bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

nicrump wrote:
ScuderiaDouroux wrote:Is it just me, or does the bottom bracket area of this frame look really lean (not very reinforced)?

Let us know how stiff it feels when sprinting after the bike is built.

the wrap is tapered and is over .080" thick at its thickets point. 16 plys of IM 118GSM material there. but as others suggested, it is the tubes that flex, not the joint.

i like the taper and its ability to distribute a heavy load as opposed to dropping off and creating a composite variation of the dreaded "stress riser". and it looks nice ;-)

always nice to hear from you on the forum...

what is your opinion on filament wound tubes - because if the tube is taking the stress to bending/twisting, dont filament wound tubes do better in this type of scenario?

also have you done any bikes or used hexcel IM10 fiber - seems to be the best IM fiber out in the market today.

but your bikes, keep getting better and better. i saw an interview where you said it was your main goal to continue doing custom bikes because you can continue to improve, to make every bike better. i applaud that.

edit. found the video - here ya go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPZIScklhms

coppercook62

by coppercook62

That video sums up why I bought a bike from him. No doubt If I get another bike it would be from him.

konky

by konky

Probably be around 950g with paint and cable stops. Around 800g frame weight seems to be not uncommon these days. The ride will be very good and I'd rather the extra 150g to get it. I wonder what sort of compromises you would have to save 150g.

artray

by artray

That seems like a lot of money for a lot of weight . I would expect at least a 800grm frame if it did cost $5000.

LionelB

by LionelB

There is so much more to a frame than its weight....

artray

by artray

I agree , but out of interest did you try any other frames ? I understand what you are saying I have a custom Guru and I also have a trek 5900 superlight and they both ride fast and aggresive .It's always a personal choice. My Guru is like a super light version of my trek and it also is more stable on descents it weighs a good deal less .I would not be happy to pay $5000 for a bike that weighed the same . From my point of view riding a light bike is a blast . Your frame looks mighty fine though and Im sure when you have it built up it will be a awesome machine
:thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

I have had and tried many frames, the only carbon bike I have left is my C50 now, others are steel and stainless steel. I am 1m96 and 85kg. 992g is plenty light for me, for a 62cm frame in particular.
Last edited by Powerful Pete on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Deleted quote. PP

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I got my SL down to 6.15 kilos which I think is pretty good for a clyde Di2 bike.

artray

by artray

I did not realise it was a 62cm frame . The tubes look very lean and with a lot of custom bikes they are shaped very different . Sir I eat humble pie :oops: , that is a great weight for a frame of that size , I ride a 54cm. Its a very sharp looking frame and I have no doubt will look super when built up
:thumbup:

LionelB

by LionelB

Some more goodies on the way from Australia....

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

nicrump

by nicrump

Thanks for the the kind words guys.

I have used filament wound tubes. the 1st gen SL was a filament wound main triangle and you could see that again some day but the reality is the same can be accomplished in roll wrapping. what filament winding offer is some level of automation but you cannot get 0* fiber angle without an addition of hand wrapping.

the IM fibers I use are pretty darn sweet. they come impregnated from Newport and are T1000g which may have equals but not likely better for a 42MSI fiber. very high tensile strength.

as for the weight of the frame in the post, weight was very low on the priority of this bike. i think we have demonstrated with other work i have done the low 600g mark is easily attainable. i have one in the queue now that might be below 600g. i'll try and post about that one as it comes up.

LionelB

by LionelB

nicrump wrote:as for the weight of the frame in the post, weight was very low on the priority of this bike.

Yep, weight was way down there in that priority list for me. I am actually very happy with 992g for such a large frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com