My SL4 Di2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

gg333

by gg333

Hi all, I've made a few posts on here now and thought it is time to introduce myself and my steed properly.

I've had this for around a month now, an insurance job after I crashed and broke my SL3 and I have to say, it is a great frame. I can't comment on stiffness very well as I'm not exactly a frame bender (I weigh 54kgs) but it tracks really well and is silky smooth - as others have pointed out on here. But lets hope it can guide me to some good race results this year.

Build list is as follows:
Frame & Fork: 54cm SL4 S-Works
R Wheel: 2010 powertap
Mavic Open Pro
Sapim Laser Black
(brought from Omega Pharma Lotto - nice to know my bike has some racing heritage!)
F Wheel: Bontrager Race Lite
Groupset: Full Dura Ace Di2 - except Ultegra 12-25 cassette
Seatpost: S-Works
Saddle: Specialized Toupe Ti143
Stem: Bontrager Race Lite
Pedals: Shimano 105 :oops:
Bars: Specialized Alloy debadged
Cage: Arundel Mandible
Tape: Prologo Double Touch

Weight: With my training set of wheels on, around 7.4kg. However have ordered some Gigantex 38mm carbon tubs with cx-rays and novatech superlight and (hopefully) a DA cassette which should shed a decent amount. Also upgrading the stem and pedals are the next priority, as they are both anchors, hopefully to a Ritchey C260 stem and Ultegra Carbon pedals.

I've worked on tidying the front end up a bit. The control box under the stem looks much better IMO, but the silver faceplate really annoys my perfectionist side

The routing for Di2 is pretty good, apart from it leaves one of the cable holes on the downtube gaping open :roll:

I would also really like to get the battery hidden away, seeing as specialized couldn't be bothered to find a way to fix it to the frame properly (zip tie to the rescue!)

bit of a battered rear mech

will get some pics up when the new hoops arrive and of course, the new weight. hope you like!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinchy

by tinchy

Stem faceplate needs to be flipped.

Other than that, I like 8)

gg333

by gg333

@ tinchy

:oops: thanks. missed that

Geoff

by Geoff

I assumed that youndid that deliberately...

Timo

by Timo

A Powertap hub combined with a Tacx skewer, that's probably the heaviest combination available 8)
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Smeagol

by Smeagol

Nice bike! Does the frame come with a threaded BSA BB option or did you use a BB30/PF30 converter?

Btw you should use the Shimano rubber grommet to plug the hole on the downtube.

gg333

by gg333

@Timo: I know, its 1850g with tyre, tubes skewer and cassette. A monster! But bombproof and versatile :)

@Smeagol: I haven't seen those before. they look good, thanks for the tip

gg333

by gg333

@ Smeagol: Sorry I missed your q. I used the converter that came with the frame. Hope this helps

lobular

by lobular

Great bike....nearly went a SL4 for my Di2 build, but found a cheap Supersix hi-mod frame instead. It's great to see a post with high quality pictures instead of the all too often camera phone grainy pictures with no detail.

Zoncolan

by Zoncolan

Nice bike and build but one small criticism, ditch the Bontrager stem. If you don't like the Specialized stem (and I don't like their stems either) then go for something like a Thomson or Syntace, etc. I would never mix and match parts from one Bike manufacturer to another (Trek = Bontrager).

Otherwise, nice bike.

TTiago

by TTiago

Smeagol wrote:Nice bike! Does the frame come with a threaded BSA BB option or did you use a BB30/PF30 converter?

Btw you should use the Shimano rubber grommet to plug the hole on the downtube.

Where can i find this bit?

TTiago

by TTiago

gg333, Did you converted the frame to use a Di2 groupset? If so, did you cut the wire so it could go inside the frame?

gg333

by gg333

The frame is Di2 specific, so you just use the internal wiring harness that comes with the groupset and the routing holes are big enough for the cables and connectors, if thats what you mean?

apLe

by apLe

I would change two things not mentioned yet. First, front wheel. Get some custom one to match the powertap wheel. In my previous bike I did the same and it looked much better. I think a custom wheel shouldn't weight more than your bonty one. It shouldn't cost much either as it is your training-only wheel. Second, seatpost. It somehow distracts from the frame and it would be much cleaner with all-black post. But hey, that's just my 0.02$ Generally nice looking bike! :thumbup:
18' R5 coming soon...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gg333

by gg333

I've just received a pair of 38mm gigantex tubs with novatec sl hubs, and I agree about the matching wheels. Looks much better. I can see what you mean about the post, but I think it brings out the red highlights on the frame nicely.