New steel project with polished parts

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KB

by KB

My next project.

I’ve been very happy with my steel Winter, so I’m going forward and have ordered a new frame from Enigma. It’s Columbus Spirit with BB30 for which I'll be using the Dale cranks. The Winter was tig welded, whereas the new frame will be fillet brazed. The colour of the frame will be as per the pic attached, but the frame won’t be lugged like this one or have chrome. It will have black decals.

The pics are not that good at the moment (they were done on a phone by my LBS), but hoping my son can get into shop to get some better pics. I’m away from the UK at present.

After the frame, the other thing I did was to have some black components hi polished:

Extralite stem 12cm
Extralite Headset
Extralite cranks (these are going back on my Winter, but I thought I’d show them here)
Cannondale Hollowgram cranks
TA Squale rings
KCNC brakes
Van Nicholas TI post

I’ve also had some Giant carbon bars sent to the painters to have them sprayed in a bright orange with a gold fleck in it.

The drivetrain is SRAM Force. Not sure whether to go with brown, black or white hoods.
Not made up my mind either regarding bartape colour.
Finally, I’ve been looking at having a Spec Toupe saddle recovered, but I’ve drawn a blank so far. I was impressed with the Aussie guy who covered some saddles and was hoping someone in the UK did something similar; either that or attempt to repaint a saddle in a tan colour. If not, either white or black.

Will gradually post the pics so far and keep updated over the next few weeks until I get back to Blighty.

KB

by KB

KCNC Brakes that were black that goes with the other polished parts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Extralite cranks. These are going back on my Winter.

KB

by KB

A shiny black Extralite stem becomes polished.

KB

by KB

This will be the colour of the frame although it won't look like this: no chrome or lugs.

Also, the Van Nicholas stem that's been polished also. It needs cutting down.
Attachments
ENIGMA COLOUR.jpg
KB VAN NICOLAS SEATPOST.jpg

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Love it so far.

fletch62

by fletch62

Who or how were the KCNC brakes polished?
I got a set of grey CB1's i want to put on a Nago steel frame.

KB

by KB

fletch62 wrote:Who or how were the KCNC brakes polished?

Got them done locally to my where I live in the UK. The same company have done stuff like this before for me.
Some time ago, one of the Aussies had some cranks hi-polished as well that were shown on here. I think it was Melbourne.

quattrings

by quattrings

Now for the real question.
How much weight did you polish off?

:D

KB

by KB

Good question: the truth is I didn't weigh them before, so not sure if any weight's been shed if any. I have a Supersix that's going on the turbo that would weigh comfortably less than this build, so didn't live up to WW'ism. :D

fletch62

by fletch62

Cheers. Do you know if the brakes were stripped of anodizing before polishing?

KB

by KB

So far as I'm aware, yes. I will ask a few questions with the guy at my LBS. I'm not in the UK until early September, so it may take some time.

I like KCNC calipers due to the weight and look, but they look a bit 'cheap' to me. Seems like they skimped on the finishing. I think like this they look a deal better.

KB

by KB

Juan - I would never go back to downtube shifters. Bikes from the past may bring a hint of nostalgia (Dadoflam's Cinelli), but the reality of shifters, 5 and 6 speed cassettes with huge gear jumps, toeclips and straps: I then have a reality check and realise how much nicer technology in bikes and clothing has moved.

willhouse

by willhouse

I'll be keeping an eye one this!

Love a bit of Mirror polishing. The king of it here in the UK is Mike the Polisher in Scotland, he has a reputation for polishing alloy wheels, but I think he will do anything if asked.

If my TA Crank arms ever get a bit tired looking, they will be getting the polished treatment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com