Building my dream bike - Wilier Cento 1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

vidman

by vidman

After my old bike was written off when a car turned in front of me, I decided to spend a bit more, go for the Cento 1 frameset and build the bike up myself.

Look ma! No hands!

Build list-
Frame- Cento 1 - Size Large
Fork- Cento 1
Stem- Deda Service Corse 100 Zero - 110mm
Bars- Deda Service Corse 100 Zero - 46cm
Seat cap- Richey
Saddle- Selle Italia Thoork.
Crankset- SRAM Force - 172.5mm, 53/39T
Pedals- Shimano 7900
FD- SRAM Force
RD- SRAM Force
Casette- SRAM 1070 - 11-25T
Chain- Shimano 6700 Ultegra
Chain watcher- Token - Black
Brakes- SRAM Force
Shifters- SRAM Red
Bar tape- Deda cork first wrap, Pro Digital Carbon top wrap.
Shifter Hoods- Hudz Soft compound - Red
Cables- Jagwire Racer set (red)
Cable ends- Jagwire with sealed nose, Red.
Cable crimps- Red Alloy
Headset- Ritchey WCS (came with the frameset)
Fork compression cap- Tune Gum-Gum
Top cap- Custom engraved (Purely Custom) black aluminium
Top cap bolt- Red alloy anodised
Stem spacers- Lightweight, Ebay generic Black and white
Cable/frame protectors- O-rings ranging from tiny and tight fitting to larger and rotating on the cables). 130km and there were fine- no movement.
Computer- Garmin Edge 500 - Black Silver
Cages- Elite Custom Race - White/Red
Front hub- Dura Ace 7900 28H
Rear hub- Dura Ace 7950 32H
Spokes- Sapim Laser (3X rear, 2x front)
Nips- Sapin Brass
Rims- Velocity A23
Rim tape- Velo plugs
Skewers- 45g Circus Monkey (ebay) - Dark grey
Tyres- Michelin Krylion 25mm
Assorted- Rubber block wedged under the saddle for a firmer feel and to stop the saddle sagging and breaking, name stickers on top tube (ebay), cable liner threaded through BB cable guide for smoother operation.

I am astounded with the ride. Not sure if the smoothness is due to the tyres (25's) or the wheels of the frameset (or a combination of the lot) but smooth doesn't even come close to how it rides, yet when I want to GO- it responds without hesitation.
Its beyond my expectations! :thumbup:

Here it is in action on my second ride on it (100km of hills out to Kinglake and back)-
http://youtu.be/gCbAkeRxguo

I come into frame about 3.22 into this video. Love the change of music when I appear into frame! LOL
http://youtu.be/tP3Du9bj-Gw
Last edited by vidman on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gil

by gil

Your bike looks great!
How do you like your wheels? Did you get them custom built?
I'm strongly leaning on building a set of wheels with A23 rims and some Campagnolo hubs, probably 32 spokes on each. Mainly I want to put on miles on some reliable wheels. Would you classify the wheels as comfortable compared to other wheels?
Thanks

marcio riva

by marcio riva

Bellissima!!!

jediknights

by jediknights

sweet rig, thats the DEDA 35 right? what do you think of them so far?
Theforcetraining.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Most excellent - could you tell us what the weight is?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

vidman

by vidman

gil- Yes had the wheels custom built using my old hubs from my old ike (the only parts reused). Comfortable? Yeah id say so but then Im rolling 25's on them so that would be adding to the comfort leval.

jediknights- No its just standard oversize 31.8.

Powerful Pete- I'll weight it next time I ride into work (bike shop with Park scales). Its not uber light (1850g wheels for example) so at a guess id say low 7's. I didn't build it with just weight in mind, it was a balance of usability, comfort, looks, price AND weight. I chose Force for example on asthetics and price but Red shifters on useability (zero loss). Very happy with the outcome. Wouldn't change a thing (except the tyres- jury is still out on that)!

Down the track when I'm closer to race fitness again I'll get some deep carbon wheels. Im thinking Mavic Carbon SLR's (clincher, Al brake track, aero, durable) and if i shop wisely less than $2000!

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Thats a great looking bike! Never been a fan of Williers but that's one hell of a nice frame :)

Have you had many broken saddles? Since you going the rubber wedge route :lol:
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

yongkun

by yongkun

i am using the token chain watcher also, do you find that the bolt supplied is not good? i find they are unable to supply enough stress on the FD and the FD hanger after sometime, something like "loosening" up.

kgt

by kgt

vidman wrote:I am astounded with the ride. Not sure if the smoothness is due to thetyres (25's) or the wheels of the frameset (or a combination of the lot) but smooth doesn't even come close to how it rides, yet when I want to GO- it responds without hesitation. Its beyond my expectations! :thumbup:

You are right. Smoothness, compactness and liveness is what describes this frame in each pedal stroke.

quattrings

by quattrings

Money well spent, I would say.

A Wilier cento1 is my dream bike as well. there's only 2 carbon bikes i would like to own, a supersix and this. but the Wilier is just pure art!
The superleggera and the slr are even more sexy, but too far out of my price range (unless I find a really good deal)

enjoy the bike.

ps how do you guys balance the bikes in your pics? I'm always wondering.

vidman

by vidman

Kastrup- Yes I've broken a few Thoorks. They are prone to sagging and braking the shell just behind the nose. I've broken several already but I can't find another saddle with the same shape that I like so much. But a $2 bit of rubber shaped and shoved in makes the saddle a firmer and "hopefully" will stop it from breaking (and its so unobtrusive its hard to tell its there). Time will tell if it makes the saddle last longer.

yongkun- No problems with the Token bolt so far. It was hard to tighten the lot up and keep the chain watcher in place but I eventually got there.

quattrings- No tricks, just Photoshop - easy! :thumbup: There was a set of hands holding the back wheel by the tyre only. A bit of rubber stamping and copy and paste sections of the tyre over the fingers and its done.

The custom engraved headset cap turned up today and has been fitted. Not sure if I will keep it. Now I just need some more kit to see me through a Melbourne winter and some new shoes (one of the straps is about to snap off my current shoes) and I'm set for quite a while. The Lake CX401's are taking my fancy atm.

miltmaster3

by miltmaster3

very nice bike :thumbup:
πατα τραβα ρε

emike

by emike

nice bike :thumbup:

Nice photo!

giant man

by giant man

Nice ride these Cento's, been on one twice now and very compliant and stiff but very comfortable, good one ......

sawyer

by sawyer

Very nice build. The 25mm tyres with those wheels should be a comfortable ride, but the frame is known to be comfortable also. Those tyres are resistant to punctures but pretty rigid - though no doubt you have something faster for summer?

Great looking stretch of road in that second clip :beerchug:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com