Winter bike project: Salsa Las Cruzes!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

After picking up two cans of paint remover, I got busy removing the paint of the Salsa frame. I said 'super aggressive' on the can, which sounded like music to my ears, because a paint remover I purchased a while back didn't do anything to the paint I was trying to strip down back then. They weren't kidding with the 'super aggressive', because the stuff started working almost instantly after spraying it on the frame. It did the same on my skin unfortunately, even though I only got two tiny flakes of removed paint on my skin :? . For stripping the fork I will be using some Carbolift that was left over from a previous project. It doesn't work nearly as good as the paint stripper I used on the frame, but it beats sanding every day.

Next up is the painstaking task of polishing the frame. Seeing as the finish on the bare metal is quite rough, this will involve quite a bit of sanding before I can do the actual polishing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

By the way, before paint stripping I was able to do a more accurate weigh in of the frameset. With paint, the bare frame weighed in at 1320 grams. Removing the paint resulted in some 50 grams of weight loss. The fork is really porky at 670 grams.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I finished polishing the frame today :D . It isn't 100% perfect, but for the time being it will do just fine. Next up, the fork.

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I have finished removing the paint of the front fork and polishing it and while I was at it I also did the same for a Deda Zero 100 seatpost. All that remains now is putting some parts on it. So far so good :D

oldmuthariley

by oldmuthariley

top work!
look forward to seeing the final build

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Is it wrong that I am physically aroused by this Salsa?
I am itching to do this to an older alu frame myself and don't trust my skills.
I'll PM you about this at some point, SWijland.
I'm watching this one...