Diet For Cervelo S5 TDF

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

Hi all,

I recently bought a Cervelo S5 VWD and I have to say that I am delighted with the bike. That said, it is a little portly at 7.2 kgs. It is full DA Di2 with Mavic Ultimate wheels. What would be the easiest way to shift a bit of weight from the setup without sacrificing too much in the way of reliability or the Di2?

Any tips would be appreciated before I just start buying random parts. My apologies if this has been covered before. THis seems to be a very active forum with a lot of topics.

Thanks in advance,

Neal.
Last edited by NealHumphries on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Since Cervelo advertise the frame as under 1kg, and Mavic have the wheels under 1,200g I'm a little surprised at the weight.

Perhaps some photos and more details would help. Size?

I'm assuming this is the genuine article :)
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

eric

by eric

bikerjulio wrote:I'm assuming this is the genuine article :)

I haven't seen any Cervelo clones. Cervelo-like, sure, but not clones.

It'd help to list the components and their current weight.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

eric wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:I'm assuming this is the genuine article :)

I haven't seen any Cervelo clones. Cervelo-like, sure, but not clones.

No, the Chinese would never copy another Chinese frame :roll:

http://www.carbonfiberbicyclefactory.com/2012-cervelo-s5-vwd-red-black-framesethot-sale-p-291.html

One.

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

Thanks for the replys guys, I will get some pictures of the bike today in the light. Regarding the frame and it's weight, the frame was bought in person in the UK from an authorised retailer and I am completely comfortable that it is genuine. The advertised weight of under 1kg is for a 54 cm frame, mine is a 56 so it was always going to be a little heavier than the headline numers quoted by Cervelo.

The finishing kit on the bike, other than the DA Di2 parts are:

Fizik Antares (steel rails) saddle
3T ARX Pro 120mm Alloy Stem
3T Carbon Bars (not sure which type)
Rotor 3D+ Cranks
Rotor Q Rings 52 - 36
DA 9000 pedals
I'm not really sure on the bottom bracket
Axle unknown but given the magnet test appears not to be steel

From the above list there are a couple of obvious targets such as the saddle and stem but outside of that is it a case of swapping the steel bolts for titanium? It seems that some of the larger bolts are steel such as the seat rail clamp and head tube cover. Some of the bolts in the brakes are also steel and the bolts securing the jockey wheels are also steel.

I would like to swap the external battery for an internal one if at all possible, I think it looks ugly, and on an aero bike, it is certainly not going to improve the aerodynamics by being externally mounted.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal.

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

And a quick picture. Apologies for the rubbish i-phone low light picture quality...should have bought a Nokia!

ill principe

by ill principe

Great looking bike.

A question though, is the Ltd edition really a VWD? Cervelo calls it S5 TEAM LTD edition on their site, and I can't find any references to VWD or 990g in the info about the ltd edition. For a standard S5, with those components, the 7.2kg weight would be "normal".

I´m most certainly wrong, but looking at the components, it was the first though that came to my mind.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (not yet built) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

TimmS

by TimmS

Different, but I like it!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I don't see much you could do to that to lighten it. I know this is WW, but the few grams you might be able to save on that are not really worth it. The standard advise would be wheels, but those are already light. It's a nice bike. Ride it and be happy.

Careful with Ti screws. They are NOT as strong as steel and I'd be careful using them on critical safety areas like stem and brakes.

One.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I would say that the saddle, cranks and brakes are the biggest weight saving opportunities. Also, maybe consider getting Berk to make you a combo since that seatpost probably weighs a pound in and of itself. Those are the best opportunities I see.

That being said, that is a stellar looking bike that I would PROUDLY ride no matter the weight so if you are happy with the fit, ride and performance I wouldn't worry about monkeying with it too much. Really stellar looking bike, IMHO.

:beerchug:

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

ill principe wrote:Great looking bike.

A question though, is the Ltd edition really a VWD? Cervelo calls it S5 TEAM LTD edition on their site, and I can't find any references to VWD or 990g in the info about the ltd edition. For a standard S5, with those components, the 7.2kg weight would be "normal".

I´m most certainly wrong, but looking at the components, it was the first though that came to my mind.

Hmm, yes, good point. I have just put a post up on the Cervelo forum. I was led to believe that it was VWD based, and I am sure I read something to that effect, however, I can't find it and now I am asking myself the question...

That said, my bike is bigger than the 54cm listed as weighing in at the 990 grams, and I didn't exactly weigh my bike on the most accurate set of scales either.

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

bikerjulio wrote:I don't see much you could do to that to lighten it. I know this is WW, but the few grams you might be able to save on that are not really worth it. The standard advise would be wheels, but those are already light. It's a nice bike. Ride it and be happy.

Careful with Ti screws. They are NOT as strong as steel and I'd be careful using them on critical safety areas like stem and brakes.

Thanks for the advice regarding the screws, I was thinking the same thing myself. Obviously there are some in the mechs and seatpost etc, and also I see that the 3T carbon stem has Ti bolts as standard so I figure they should be ok there.

Are there any reputable Ti bolt manufacturers that are well respected in the bike community?

NealHumphries

by NealHumphries

btompkins0112 wrote:I would say that the saddle, cranks and brakes are the biggest weight saving opportunities. Also, maybe consider getting Berk to make you a combo since that seatpost probably weighs a pound in and of itself. Those are the best opportunities I see.

That being said, that is a stellar looking bike that I would PROUDLY ride no matter the weight so if you are happy with the fit, ride and performance I wouldn't worry about monkeying with it too much. Really stellar looking bike, IMHO.

:beerchug:

I am really please with how it looks and rides. I have seen a few reviews saying the ride is harsh, but even on the horrid roads in England I have found it really comfortable. That said, my last bike was a 20 year old aluminium mountain bike and that is pretty much all I have to compare it to.

Is there anything I can do to the brakes to make them lighter without compromising safety? The DA units on there seem to work really well...

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

EE brakes are light and function flawlessly as I have heard from others in the forum. Ciamillo brakes also function perfectly, those are the only two brakes that I have knowledge or personally experienced that would save enough weight off the DA brakes to make a difference.

anquetil

by anquetil

My VVD 51 with Zipp 303 and DA di2 is 6.4 kg. pedals speedplay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com