New Tarmac S-Works (Now I am a member of the OC Gliteratti)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I was recently looking for another bike and was considering a Time RXRS. They are not very common and I had read good things about their ride characteristics. However, when I saw the weight of the Time RXRS frameset I decided to go in another direction. I live in Southern California - Orange County (OC). I seems as though all the "OC Gliteratti" ride Specialized bikes. When I saw one of the husbands on "The House Wifes of Orange County" rode a Specialized bike - it only confirmed my prejudices toward the brand. However, a really nice 2013 Tarmac S-Works frameset fell into my lap so I thought I would build it up and give it a try. Hopefully, none of my friends will see me riding it!!

I typically ride a 2011 Colnago C59 dressed in Di2, Lightweight wheels. Not a common bike with the "OC Gliteratti". I decided to build-up this bike with my older 7970 Di2 and a really nice pair of Enve 45's. Since, I have taken the Tarmac for several rides and I can honestly say it is really nice. These days, all the new bikes ride great.... they just simply ride different. Compared to my other bikes: Parlee Z5SL, Colnago C50, C59, Storck, etc. This Tarmac has the stiffest headtube and bottom bracket. However, that stiffness comes at a price. Although, I would not call this bike "too stiff" I would definitely not call it comfortable. My C59 is definitely a softer ride on the rough. High speed stability is about the same as most my other bikes - excellent. Turn-in on the Tarmac is great! Better than most my other bikes I have riden. I especially like the S-Works cranks. The Q-Factor, aesthetics and shape are great. Below are a few pictures I took this evening. If you would like to make any configuration recommendations... please feel free! Ciao
Attachments
tarmac1.JPG
tarmac2.JPG
tarmac3.JPG
tarmac4.JPG
tarmac5.JPG
colnago1.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rumsas

by Rumsas

Good bike, looks very fast

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Come on guys, i put all this time and money into this bike and i get one reply?

Quinn039

by Quinn039

its nice... but i like the nago better

BrianVarick

by BrianVarick

Very nice, and it sounds like you have quite the stable.

DartanianX

by DartanianX

What do you want people to say? Its just another tarmac.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Bike looks great to me! Seems like a solid build you have there too.

PSM

by PSM

Quinn039 wrote:its nice... but i like the nago better

+1.

If you had to sell one off them. Which?

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Easy answer if both bikes fit well...
Ask yourself with whom you would rather have a beer? Mike Sinyard or Ernesto Colnago.
The answer is pretty straightforward.
That Specialized would be on the auction block pretty darn quick if it was my choice. :wink:

PSM

by PSM

I'd prefer to share a bottle of Amarone with EC. :)

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Thanks for sharing your opinions on your various bikes ride. Always appreciated. Are you comparing them with the same or different wheels? Looks like you've got Enve clinchers on the Speci, but am guessing you also have some high zoot tubies.

Definitely a nice WW build from top to bottom, but where's the payoff? Dying to know what it weighs.

I much prefer the Speci's look (and weight), but think it needs just a hint of some color somewhere to offset all that B&W.

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Johnny Rad wrote:Thanks for sharing your opinions on your various bikes ride. Always appreciated. Are you comparing them with the same or different wheels? Looks like you've got Enve clinchers on the Speci, but am guessing you also have some high zoot tubies.

Definitely a nice WW build from top to bottom, but where's the payoff? Dying to know what it weighs.

I much prefer the Speci's look (and weight), but think it needs just a hint of some color somewhere to offset all that B&W.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Johnny your comment is what i was looking for. Can you make some recommendations? Hoe and where to add more color?

The C59 weights 12.7 lbs and Specialized Tarmac weights 13.2 lbs. The above ride comparison is with the same Enve wheels. I recently put the Lightweight Clinchers on the C59.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If your Speci were MINE, I'd consider debadging the wheels and seatpost. Go all black. If it still wasn't aesthetically right, I'd consider a flash of color on the QRs. I'd stay with a black saddle and black bar tape regardless of what others say. That's what I'd do...
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

PSM

by PSM

It's funny how you describe the stiffness while riding an Extralight stem which is made if cheese... ;)

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

PSM wrote:It's funny how you describe the stiffness while riding an Extralight stem which is made if cheese... ;)

I had a 10 mm longer Enve stem on there recently but could not tell a difference???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com