Cervelo R5ca, Mad Fiber, new pics

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

As the forks are made by THM, I suspect it to be a one off failure. They make good stuff, period.

As for the wheels, I would choose ENVE instead of AX. I have heard of too many failures with AX, and their customer service seems a bit dodgy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Mario Jr. wrote:As the forks are made by THM, I suspect it to be a one off failure. They make good stuff, period.

As for the wheels, I would choose ENVE instead of AX. I have heard of too many failures with AX, and their customer service seems a bit dodgy.

The alphas that are already on the bike is my normal setup, about 1350g and really good, don´t want to buy another set in the same weightrange. I heard that the Mad Fibers are more or less bomb proof and about 300g lighter. For days on bad roads and potholes, I don´t wanna risk a 3-5k wheelset.

Update : I see your occupation, so you probably now what you talking about :) How is your LW and ENVEs in toughness ? Have also considered the LW Gipfelsturm. Do you sell to Norway ? My bikeshop in Trondheim, Elleve, is having a hard time getting LW.
2012 Cervelo R5ca Campa Superrecord.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Strange THM fork failure. Never seen this from any other THM fork

mjduct

by mjduct

cervelo has a pretty robust warranty, assuming you got it through legitimate means, take it back to the shop you bought it and they should replace it for free.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/company/support/warranty/

Starting January 1, 2004, each Cervélo SA (Cervélo) bicycle frame purchased after this date is warranted by Cervélo SA against defects in workmanship and materials for as long as the frame is owned by the original owner, excluding paint and decals. (Cervélo bicycle frames purchased before this date came with a four year warranty). This covers ALL bicycle frame models Cervélo offers. This warranty is expressly limited to either the repair or replacement of the defective frame – the decision to repair and replace to be at the sole discretion of Cervélo – and no other remedies are available under the warranty.
Cervélo does not warrant against damage caused by normal wear and tear, improper assembly, improper maintenance, or installation of parts or accessories not originally intended for use with or compatible with the frame or bicycle sold.
Cervélo does not warrant against damage or failure of Cervélo bicycle frames caused by accident, misuse, abuse or neglect. Any modification of the frame or its components shall void this warranty.
All claims under this warranty must be made through an authorized Cervélo distributor. Claims will be processed only after provision by the claimant to Cervélo of proof of purchase and completion of Cervélo’s online product registration (which can be found here).
Purchase Cervélo product only through authorized Cervélo retailers. This is your assurance of original Cervélo quality. Please visit our retailer locator to identify your preferred, authorized Cervélo retailer. All authorized retailers are listed on this site.
Cervélo's warranty policy is valid only for Cervélo products purchased through authorized Cervélo retailers. Cervélo products purchased through any channel other than an authorized Cervélo retailer are not covered by the Cervélo warranty.
Subject to the laws of your jurisdiction which prevail where applicable over the terms of this warranty, Cervélo shall not be responsible for incidental or consequential damages suffered. This warranty does not cover labor charges for parts changeovers.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

[quote="mjduct"]cervelo has a pretty robust warranty, assuming you got it through legitimate means, take it back to the shop you bought it and they should replace it for free.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/company/support/warranty/

The bike was purchased at a bikeshop, so no worries there :) Only problem is that the shop is in San Diego and I live in Norway :) A couple of e-mails should sort it out and Cervelo hopefully ships it directly to me.

Since my other bike ( a R5 red ) was sold a week ago, I really hope that Cervelo is pretty quick with their warranties so I could start riding again. Anyone had any experience epoxy a broken carbon part, just for the time it takes to replace it ? Would love to ride until the new fork arrives.

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

First of all sorry to hear that about your broken frame!

reidarherre wrote:/...Anyone had any experience epoxy a broken carbon part, just for the time it takes to replace it ? Would love to ride until the new fork arrives.

A repairment with epoxy won't be ok - epoxy won't really repair the structure. The fibers "hold" the structure and once they're broken the product won't be safe anymore unless you repair it with some carbon fiber.

Usually it's better that you don't try to repair it if it's under warranty that you won't have any problems with the warranty later..hope you know what I mean.

From Cervelo:
Any modification of the frame or its components shall void this warranty.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

Berk wrote:First of all sorry to hear that about your broken frame!

reidarherre wrote:/...Anyone had any experience epoxy a broken carbon part, just for the time it takes to replace it ? Would love to ride until the new fork arrives.

A repairment with epoxy won't be ok - epoxy won't really repair the structure. The fibers "hold" the structure and once they're broken the product won't be safe anymore unless you repair it with some carbon fiber.

Usually it's better that you don't try to repair it if it's under warranty that you won't have any problems with the warranty later..hope you know what I mean.

From Cervelo:

Know what you mean, was just thinking that when Cervelo gives the OK on the warranty, I could epoxy the fork until the new one arrives. Guess I just have to stay of the bike a couple of weeks until the new one gets here,

sastre

by sastre

reidarherre wrote:
Berk wrote:First of all sorry to hear that about your broken frame!

From Cervelo:

Know what you mean, was just thinking that when Cervelo gives the OK on the warranty, I could epoxy the fork until the new one arrives. Guess I just have to stay of the bike a couple of weeks until the new one gets here,

:shock: good luck with that braver man than i :noidea:
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

reidarherre wrote:Know what you mean, was just thinking that when Cervelo gives the OK on the warranty, I could epoxy the fork until the new one arrives. Guess I just have to stay of the bike a couple of weeks until the new one gets here,

hope you have a good dental insurance provider

reidarherre

by reidarherre

nathanong87 wrote:
reidarherre wrote:Know what you mean, was just thinking that when Cervelo gives the OK on the warranty, I could epoxy the fork until the new one arrives. Guess I just have to stay of the bike a couple of weeks until the new one gets here,

hope you have a good dental insurance provider

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Point taken, the bike is safely stored away until new fork is here. Need my teeth, and i´m not that brave either

CBJ

by CBJ

How long does it take to get a new form anyway?

derosaprotos

by derosaprotos

Superb bike. Never ridden a cervelo but the more I look at them and read about them, the more i think this is what my next bike will be. Or wait a couple of years until I can afford the new de rosa protos!

Equally interesting as reading about the bike and componentry is reading some of the off topic comments here. I assume people aren't actually like this face to face?!

reidarherre

by reidarherre

CBJ wrote:How long does it take to get a new form anyway?

Reported the problem to the store I bought the bike from on thursday. Sent them some picture and they gonna send a new fork today or tomorrow I hope. The problem is that i live in Norway and the store is in San Diego, so it will take a week for it to arrive. Anyway, great customer service at Trek Bicycle Superstore in San Diego who takes on of their new forks for R5ca and ships it before they have got a replacement from Cervelo.

reidarherre

by reidarherre

reidarherre wrote:Hi.

This is my new bike, all is pretty much out of the box besides the wheels, Alpha with FMB tires.

Currently 5,85 kg with speedplay steel pedals.

Looking to get it a bit lighter without compromising looks or safety. The alphas are 1240 g and will not be replaced.

Stem,post and bar are all 3T ltd serie, Campa SR group besides the rotor crank.

The replacement fork has arrived with new wheels :)

New weight now 5,49 kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SSB

by SSB

Nice set of wheels!

As much as I like the Madfibers (they're a dream to ride) I feel they go better with bikes that have aero tubes. Nothing goes better with an R5ca than Lightweights.

Still, it looks great and I hope you enjoy them!
Flickr
2012 Cannondale CAAD10