Litespeed Siena: My WW Ti Build - France Ride Report on Pg 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been meaning to post this for awhile now, but finally got it to the point where it is worth putting pictures up. I'm working on swapping out the entire drivetrain, but haven't decided what I want yet.

So far, this is my favorite bike that I've had (albeit only a few). It's handled extremely well in sprints and cornering in crits and with the Edge 2.0 fork, has been rock solid at 50 mph descents. Now I just need to put it on a diet to get below 15lbs.

Specs (Updated 2014, scroll down for updated build):

Frame: 2007 Litespeed Siena M Frame (weight unknown)
Wheelset: Easton EA90 SLX (1526 grams)
Shifters: Ultegra (500 grams)
Cabling: Yokozuma
Crankset: Dura Ace 7701 (600 grams)
BB: Shimano 105 (276 grams)
Rr Derailleur: Ultegra (218 grams)
Fr Derailleur: Dura Ace
Cassette: Ultegra 11-23
Saddle: Selle SLR tuned (from 143 to 115 grams)
Seat Post: Real Design Ti 31.8 Post (195 grams)
Tires: Michelin Pro Race3 (200 grams each)
Inner Tubes: Specialized Pre-Talc'd Butyls (70 grams each)
Stem: Ritchey WCS 110mm (114 grams)
Handlebars: Ritchey 40mm Aluminum Bars
Bottle Cages: Arundel Madible (27/28 grams)
Pedals: Speedplay Zero's Chromoly (222 grams)
Skewers: Ti (44 grams)
Brakes: Planet X CNC Brakes w/ pads (234 grams)

Total Weight: 17.37 lbs (7,881 grams) UPDATE 4/7/2013: 13.56 lbs UPDATE Again: Soon to be 13.1 lbs

So, what to do next? I can either get some Enve 45's or Zipp 303's now, and wait a few months to upgrade to SRAM Red Black or get the SRAM Red Black first with some new handlebars (been eyeing the Zipp SL's, but concerned about trashing such expensive bars in a crit collision).

It started off life as this:

Then became this:

And I thought this would be it:

New Build Pics Coming

Last edited by RyanH on Fri May 22, 2015 5:45 pm, edited 12 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi,

Nice Ti bike you have got there. I'd be tempted to bolt a more modern group set to the bike. After that i'd cut the front brake cable a bit shorter and win some free grams. Then order some ti spindles at Ward industries for your speedplays. (they don't list them on their website, you need to email them) and get a lighter seat collar. after those upgrades i'd be looking into wheels. :thumbup:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

adidavas

by adidavas

Its ti skewers from china?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Great bike.

Not a fan of the way the Ultegra 6500 groupset looks, but the metal color matches really nice with the ti frame. If I were you I would try to get my hand on a DA 7700 groupset. Shouldn't cost you and it looks way better.

RyanH

by RyanH

adidavas wrote:Its ti skewers from china?

Yeah, J&L QR skewers on ebay.

Got my DV46 tubulars today with some Conti Sprinters. Re-weighed using the hanging scale and it showed 17.8lbs, a 0.5lb increase :? . So...took wheels off and weighed bike and wheels separately on the gram scale (max weight of 12lbs).

New weight is 16.01 lbs or 7.28kg

I'll post revised pics next week after I get back from a trip as well as pics of tuning the Selle SLR.

What are your guys' thoughts on SRAM Red or SRAM Red Black on this (from an aesthetics standpoint)? Or, maybe a Dura Ace 7800 crankset with 7900 shifters and derailleurs (not a big fan of the 7900 crankset)?

RyanH

by RyanH

Got some goodies in the mail last week, just waiting for a cassette and the bike is ready to go again:

Zipp SL's at 38cm:

SRAM Red 2011 Rear Derailleur:

Got these cranks off of eBay for $160. They looked as if they haven't been used...not a scratch to be found:

Flatted in Topanga canyon on the 4th and Vittoria Pitstop was a no-go, so had to get a lift home. Took the opportunity to strip the tire off and weigh the front wheel. Turns out the wheels had Conti Sprinter Gatorskins, which are a porky 300g each. New conti sprinters are being glued at the moment by the LBS.

RyanH

by RyanH

Got the last pieces in last night, but first, it's important to start off any build on the right foot:

New, SRAM Red 1091R chain (pictured with all links - ended up removing 3, saving 12g):

SRAM Red 11-26 Cassette:

Rather heavy Specialized microsuede tape (looks killer in person though):

Yokozuna Brake Cables and Housing (kind of pre-cut):

Bontrager Shifter Cables & Housing (somehow forgot to take pics):

68 grams uncut

Remaining cables

RyanH

by RyanH

So, I finally got all of the parts that I wanted and installed them last week. There's a few things that I might change down the road, such as getting a Chris King Ti headset, an Enve stem and a Tune Kom-Vor (mostly for aesthetics, except for the saddle which will be for comfort/better fit). Everything else I absolutely love.

The Siena handles extremely well at descents of up to 50mph (haven't tested beyond that) and has been proving itself as a great crit bike.

Also, on the Reynolds DV46's: all I can say is holy smokes, tubulars really are better. The tires makes a big difference, as they were originally Conti Sprinter Gatorskins which was an improvement over clinches, but the Conti Sprinter replacements that I put on the other week are night and day different. I didn't believe it when people said that tubulars are like floating on air, but going through Mulholland is a much different experience now (for those of you who have never ridden there, Mulholland has some of the worst road conditions in LA, compounded by it being used as an unofficial race each Sunday morning).

July 15, 2012 build list:

Frame: 2007 Litespeed Siena M Frame (weight unknown)
Wheelset: Reynolds DV46T 2010
Shifters: SRAM Red
Cabling: Yokozuna & Bontrager
Crankset: Red 2011 GXP (632 grams)
BB: Red Ceramic
Rr Derailleur: Red (146 grams)
Fr Derailleur: SRAM Force w/ Clamp 34.9 (105 grams)
Cassette: SRAM Red 11-26 (171 grams)
Saddle: Selle SLR tuned (from 143 to 115 grams)
Seat Post: Real Design Ti 31.8 Post (195 grams)
Tires: Conti Sprinters (270 grams)
Stem: Ritchey WCS 110mm (114 grams)
Handlebars: Zipp SL S&S 38cm (171 grams)
Bottle Cages: Arundel Madible (27/28 grams)
Pedals: Speedplay Zero's Chromoly (222 grams)
Skewers: Ti (44 grams)
Brakes: Planet X CNC Brakes w/ pads (234 grams)
Tape: Specialized Micro-Suede
Seatpost Clamp: Omni Racer Ti

Final Weight: 6,717 grams | 14.8 lbs

Final (Not Really - July 2012) Build Pics:

Just a few glamour shots:

Last edited by RyanH on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Got some new goodies:

Ciamillo Gravitas SL with 18g Zipp Cork Pads - 157g

Extralite Head 2 (shipped directly from Extralite) came in under weight at 59g.

Quite a few more to come over the next few days!

Also took the chance to weigh the frame with SRAM BB (102g) and partial Chris King Headset (74g)

Litespeed Siena Frame weight is 1314g (54) subtracting out the headset and BB.
Last edited by RyanH on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pantani

by Pantani

Lovely bike - very nicely developed build and great shots to boot.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

plpete

by plpete

Really like this build. The subtle red accents looks great on the Ti frame.

RyanH

by RyanH

New Cables

Alligator Mini I links Shift Uncut - 71g

Alligator I links Brake Uncut - 96g

Left overs - 70g

Final cable weight - 97g

Would have liked to use Bungarus but they were sold out and I was getting impatient.

A bunch more to come tomorrow.

RyanH

by RyanH

New Chainrings!

Weight for the two Stronglight CT2 rings is 125 grams, which sadly, is the same as the Red rings. Zero weight saving. My goal for sub-14lbs is slipping.

New Skewers

Glad to see the KCNC Ti QR come under claimed at 40 grams. These are saving 52 grams over my Reynolds Ti Skewers.

Velox Cotton Bar Tape

Slightly underwhelmed by the weight of these. These barely wrapped my 38cm child size bars. 5 grams were left so tape weight was 31 grams. Saved 34 grams over the Specialized tape. I have some Lizard Skins DSP 1.8mm Race tape sitting on my desk. Will probably re-tape before the weekend.

RyanH

by RyanH

MCFK Saddle (69g):

I really love this saddle. I have about 3,000 miles on it so far, including Copperopolis, which I'll explain further below.

Edge 1.25 Front w/ DT240s Hub:

Edge 1.25 Rear w/ DT240s Hub:

Copperopolis is a race in Northern California that is considered the Paris-Roubaix equivalent in California. Although it's not cobblestones, it was THE worst roads I've ever been on or could have conceived. For 80% of the 21 mile lap you're on roads that seem like they were paved 60 years ago, torn up and then just patched on top of patches. The main descent was roughly 45 mph and all you could do was hold on for dear life as the bike bounced and bobbled in the air. All of my weight weenie components made it out alive, which highly impressed me since standard components failing is commonplace at this race. The Reynold DV46 didn't lose true, the Extralite headset is still humming along and the Mcfk saddle, even though it took some serious beating by me being fully seated most of the race, is still performing admirably. The only weenie part that I seriously regretted was the cloth tape. Even with gloves on, I was nearly in tears during the descent. I had the lizard skins sitting on my desk but thought it would have been fine since I "got used" to the cotton tape.

Oh, and the Edge 1.25's are glued up and curing. With these, the Siena is now down to 13.56 lbs.

Here's a teaser pic until I can get around to taking pics outside:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

How do you like those enve 1.25?? those are crazy light!!!!