Colnago C59 GBDL Record and Mavic SLR Wheels

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks everybody! I have probably short legs. :-) It is 79cm from center bracket to top saddle. I ride with 17,5cm cranks (79 + 17,5 = 86,5 cm). I think that 56s will look better (smaller frame+more seatpost), but I do need more spacers with the 56s.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bjorn240

by bjorn240

Poppiholla:

You are not measuring your inseam correctly. It will be approximately saddle height / .883.

In order to measure it, take a tape meausure, and place it inside a thin book. Stand against a wall wearing socks and jam the book up into your crotch until you hit bone (this may not be that comfortable). Have an assistant measure the height (at the floor).

If your saddle height is 79cm, your pubic bone height (PBH or inseam) will be about 89-90 cm.

My PBH is 87cm, saddle height 76.5cm and I ride a 54s Colnago, and it is as large a frame as I would like to ride. I can't see someone with a 79cm saddle height riding a 58s. 56s should be your size.

ronderman

by ronderman

eurperg wrote:
poppiholla wrote:Yes I am sure (79cm = 31.1024 inch between center bracket and top of my saddle).

If that's your saddle height, your inseam must be something different. My saddle height is 80cm, I'm 184 cm, and I have measured my cycling inseam to be 92cm... And I ride 54s with 130mm stem, and everything feels just perfect. My measurement from saddle tip to center of bars is 603mm, drop from saddle top to tops and hoods is 115 mm in the pic.

He was talking about his bike - not mine. We add up - I'm a bit taller and have a 56s with a 120mm stem and 60cm and change from saddle tip to stem (we have the same saddle and stem) - however my stem is a 120mm deda - so that adds up. My drop is no where near yours, though. I got spacers and a longer head tube and am at a maybe 7 or 8cm drop.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@poppiholla, Yes, you by now are aware that the 79cm is your saddle height and not your inseam. Given that, let's talk about the 58s Colnago for a moment. First of all, that would be way too big for you. Without question. The 58s is really an abomination in Colnago's lineup as far as I'm concerned. It is awkard looking and is really just a "hey, we need to have one more big sloping size to fit all the people above a certain height and call it good for our sloping size range". The 58s has a front center that is equal to the 65cm Traditional frame. And the chainstays are smack in between their 64 and 65 traditional frames. Like I said, it's a big compromise when you could choose a traditional frameset in the larger frames. Those dimensions will translate to a really big handling bike, plus, it just looks weird. So don't even consider the 58 sloping. If you choose a sloping frame, then it's a no brainer I think for you... 56 sloping.

If you went traditional, then it opens up more options and it's likely several frames would work. But you mention you are 186cm and would need spacers with the 56 sloping, which is ok. The 56 sloping has the same headtube length as the 60 traditional, so you would need the same amount of spacers on both. I don't know what your drop is, but it seems like you wouldn't want to get a frame with a lesser headtube than that if you already know you'll need some spacers. The 60 traditional may handle a little "tighter" than the 56sloping just because of slightly shorter front/center dimensions and chainstay lengths on the 60 traditional versus the 56sloping. But if you want more seatpost showing based on your 79cm saddle height, then I think you'd be most happy with the 56s. I have to wonder however, if at 186cm your saddle may be too low but that's impossible to know here without seeing you and getting some more dimensions. But anyway, I just had to say something before you went and got yourself a 58 sloping Colnago. You're on the right track.

@Ronderman... very nice bike, however I think you may have got caught up in the whole 58 sloping thing too. But in your case, I think you just didn't like the looks of it, right? Or maybe it felt big even to you. But to compare the two bikes you have had (the 58 sloping EPQ versus the 56 sloping C59) is like comparing apples to oranges. For reasons I explained above, the 58 sloping will handle like a much bigger bike than it actually is (even though they compare it to a 62 traditional in the Colnago geo charts). I have both an EPQ and a C59 and they are both 61 traditional. They handle the same. If I notice a difference, I think I have to attribute it to the wheels I'm using on any given day more than any frame differences. And they are both beautiful bikes and a joy to ride, and when I'm on either one I don't feel like I'm wishing I was on the other one if that makes sense. Also, I have a 62 traditional C50 and it is just fine too.

For what it's worth, here are my critical dimensions and current setups as of today which have been tweaked slightly since my initial builds:
Height: 185cm
Inseam: 91cm
Saddle Height: 81cm *
Saddle Setback: 95cm
Saddle to bar drop: C59: 91mm; EPQ: 83mm
Distance from tip of saddle to center of bars at stem: C59: 623mm; EPQ: 615mm

* Regarding saddle height: I measure my saddle height from the center of the BB to the bottom of a straight edge which lies flat across the entire saddle. I uses a Selle Italia SLR which is a pretty flat firm saddle so there isn't too much of a "gap" in the middle. Using a straight edge ensures that I'm measuring the same distance each time. But suppose someone was on a Fizik Aliante for example (I used to use this saddle). This Aliante has quite a "dip" from front to back, plus it is fairly cushy with a fair bit of give. I guess what I'm saying is that my saddle height as measured like this would be higher if I was using Fizik Aliante than a flatter firmer saddle like the SLR, yet my position would be exactly the same. Just one of many things to consider when you're trying to compare measurements from one rider to another.

@Eurperg: Very nice setup. If you can handle that drop then you nailed it with frame size, etc. Looks great.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks Calnogo for your help. I have two bikes at the moment. I ride a Tarmac S-works Sl4 and I have a Storck C1.1 that is almost 7 years old now. I would love to swap the Storck frame for a C59 in the future.
I believe that my Storck C1.1 is size 59. I did a Specialized bike fitting and I need 3cm of spacers and a 12cm (Ritchey) stem on the Storck.
I suppose that size 59 on the Storck comes close to size 56s on the C59?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Poppiholla, poor Ronderman's thread seems to have been completely hijacked at the moment. If you have many more questions you should probably start your own thread. As for comparing the Storck to the Colnago, I won't. I don't get Storck's geometry at all, never have, and even their distributor was at a loss as to how to explain it to me when I asked once. Look at both their size 59 and 63 for a moment. For that size frame to have a 73.5 degree seat tube angle, a lot of folks (myself included) wouldn't even be able to get seated in a proper road position with a normal 15-25mm offset seatpost, let alone Storck's recommendation of using a zero offset post. The short chainstays are at the bare minimum for proper shifting with Campy, longer would be better. And the fork rake and head tube angle combinations contribute to a really long trail for a road bike. This is kind of like a cross between proper road race geometry and tt geometry. I just don't like them. If you love your Storck, then you may want to rethink the whole new bike thing, because virtually no one else follows Marcus's philosophy on road frame geometry, whatever that might be. But yes, the Storck 59 as shown above would be the "closest" to a 56s Colnago C59.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks Calnago!!! I do want to change to a C59 frameset in the future. The Storck is my winterbike. As often as I can I use the Tarmac. Great bike.

I am very sorry that I did not realize that I hijacked Ronderman's thread. Sorry Rondermam!!! Let us stay on topic and looking at ronderman's beautiful C59.
Last edited by poppiholla on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Ronderman's beautiful C59 that I in fact like so much that I add it to my C59 picture collection. Only the yellow Mavic Stickers should be removed and I would choose a black stem and bartape. :-)

ronderman

by ronderman

poppiholla wrote:Thanks Calnago!!! I do want to change to a C59 frameset in the future. The Storck is my winterbike. As often as I can I use the Tarmac. Great bike.

I am very sorry that I did not realize that I hijacked Ronderman's thread. Sorry Rondermam!!! Let us stay on topic and looking at ronderman's beautiful C59.

No worries - I'm not one of those people who demands the thread stay on his/her topic. It's all good.. :beerchug:

As for the things Calnago said about size - look I wish there was a big topic discussion on the matter of how Colnago does the top tube. Basically given the angels he uses the TT is shorter, but the reach is the same as most other builders once you build the bike. I knew I needed a 59cm top tube and went with the 58s since it had a 59cm top tube. The bike was just too big - the headtube was alright, given it was a 4cm slope I was showing just a fraction of not enough seat post and I had a small frame. Switched the 56s sloping even though it's a 58cm TT and everything worked out great. Even rode a 140cm stem for a while and handeling was awesome. 120mm to 130mm stems are the sweet spot - though 110 and 140 seem to work for people, too.

Get a colnago - you wont regret it.

michel2

by michel2

Ronderman, congrates absolut lovely looking rig you have there !