2011 Cervelo R5 54cm-SR 11 (UPDATED: w/Reynolds Forty Six )

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

em3

by em3

Just picked up my new Cervelo R5 (warranty replacement for my third cracked R- series frame). Despite the cracked frame problems, Cervelo customer service has been really outstanding.

Here is the build list:
- Cervelo 2011 R5 54cm, Cervelo SL fork
- Campagnolo Super Record gruppo (175mm crank, 53-39 chainrings, 12-27 cass)
- Ritchey WCS Carbon 2-bolt seatpost
- Ritchey WCS 4-axis carbon 110mm
- Easton EC90 SLX3 46cm
- Prologo Scratch
- CaneCreek headset
- Camapagnolo Neutron wheels
- Vitoria Pave 24c w/Michelin ultralite tubes
- Elite cages
- Time RXS Ulteam Titan

Full build weight 6.9Kg…..the frame weight is surprisingly only 15 grams lighter then my R3SL, 825gm vs 840gm.

Note: I switched from a 56cm R3SL to a 54cm R5 (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69119)
.…so I suspect that a 56cm R5 will come in at exactly the same weight as a 56cm R3SL. I switched sizes because the stack on the new 54cm is only 5mm less then last year’s 56cm, and I was seeking a bit less reach.

I felt like it was obligatory to go with the green Vittoria Pavé tires given they are a good color match…and they are great riding tires.

As for the ride, you ask? The R5 is a noticeable improvement to earlier R-series models. In comparison to my R3SL, the overall ride is a bit stiffer, especially at the front end. I always thought the biggest weakness of the R3SL ride was the headtube area which was too flexy, especially noticeable on descents and tight corners. The new oversized lower headset bearing, tapered head tube and beefy fork crown on the R5 results in very predictable, quick and stable steering. Another improvement which I never thought needed improvement, but which is noticeable on the R5, is the BB…. the new BBRight really yields a noticeable difference. While standing on steep climbs the increased stiffness is obvious….the BB simply does not move which yields a sort of odd sensation that seems to transfer directly to the platform of my shoes. Lastly, the ride retains the Cervelo trademark compliant rear triangle, however, the leaf spring sensation has been stiffened-up a bit, which finally allows some of the road feel to transfer through to the seatpost and the rider (rather then always feeling like you had a flat). Overall a great improvement in the ride.

Other positives are the seat clamp and seat tube…the back edge of the tube is squared off a bit with some extra carbon and the seat clamp is designed to fit the newly molded seat tube. All of the cable guides are carbon molded right on to the tubes …no more riveted cable guides. The front der tab is also molded carbon and is noticeably stiffer then the previous model and results in more positive front der shifting . The paint is also quite an improvement…the black and green colorway is sharp and the finish is more consistent throughout the frame with no thin, oversprayed or roughly masked areas.

On the negative side are only two things. First, I am not a fan of the full carbon rear dropouts. I am one who does not over clamp my QRs but I still feel like a small overlay of alum on the dropout would have provided a bit if extra protection for long term durability. And lastly, Cervelo strikes out again with a weak rear der hanger. The hanger is a new design adopted to the carbon dropouts. The new hanger is quite short and like previous Cervelo hangers, it is very thin and not stout enough. It is a machined hanger (not stamped like previous OEM Cervelo hangers) but its just too flimsy. When I aligned it with my DAG hanger alignment tool it bent much too easily, despite the shorter lever. I can already feel the lack of positive shifting on my Campy 11 speed rear der. This issue was remedied last time by after market hangers from Wheels Manufacturing. Hopefully they will produce a replacement to rescue Cervelo again.

EM3

Last edited by em3 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:59 am, edited 4 times in total.

CippoForLife
Shop Owner

by CippoForLife

Beautious!
Is that the stock top-cap? That thing is tall!
Love the green highlights - well done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themountaintop

by themountaintop

Brutal, 3rd cracked frame and you haven't switched brands? You're loyal, if it was me after number 2 I'd have to say good bye. But, great build and amazing looks. Hope she lasts!!!

Roobay

by Roobay

very nice looking bike..lots of thought gone into matching details
jr
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

Michel

by Michel

very nice! Although I would change the tires to black. Another optical improvement (my personal opinion) would be a change to Deda components e.g. Superzero Seatpost, Zero100 stem/handlebar.

Have fun with that beauty and hopefully without any cracks.

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

This bike was simply made for Evo Pave CG tires in green, bravo!
Anything else would be a travesty.

micky

by micky

Nice choice of components!
Looks like ready for tons of kms!

Luc

by Luc

themountaintop wrote:Brutal, 3rd cracked frame and you haven't switched brands? You're loyal, if it was me after number 2 I'd have to say good bye. But, great build and amazing looks. Hope she lasts!!!

...taking the words from my mouth...

:wink:
Pollice verso.

em3

by em3

Thanks for the comments. I suppose I am a glutton for punishment, given the past frame failures, but I have never had to wait more then two weeks for a replacement AND I am pretty happy with the ride and fit of Cervelo.

Here are a few additional pics folks have requested via PM.
Enjoy, EM3

The obligatory frame on the scale shot…how can I forget?

seat cluster….notice the square edge on back side of seat clamp

The cool green Cervelo logo

Campagnolo BBright adapter cup, driveside

critracer26

by critracer26

Where are those pictures taken?

em3

by em3

Central Park and Morningside Park

critracer26

by critracer26

Nice, i knew it looked familiar. The bike looks great.

MRR

by MRR

Here is mine R5 with SRAM RED and custom wheels. Picked it up yesterday from the dealer. weight 14.66 lb
Attachments
My R5 copy 2 2.jpg

kervelo

by kervelo

The Vittoria EVO Pave tyres are great, although quite heavy. The latest 320TPI model is even smoother and they still have that green colour available (the older model has two green lines on the sides, the new model just one in the middle). I think I saw the new model somewhere in black also.

em3

by em3

Latest update…lost 250 gm with new 2011 Reynolds Forty Six clinchers (1480 gm w/o decals), C-4 skewers (55gm) , Veloplugs (8gm), and Extralite Ultrastar expander plug (8 gm)…. currently at 6.65Kg.
EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com