Storck F0.6 - Best of Storck! New Pics on pg 5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

UPDATED Final Pic (more in later posts)

In German but you can probably make out what the title says

HOW IT ALL STARTED:

First off, let me state that this build is not meant to be an outright weenie build. I have already done a previous 4.8kg Di2 weenie build on my Storck Fascenario F0.7IS some years back and I could satisfy the weenie bug in me by updating some of those parts to maybe shave off 100 grammes or so, but that is a separate topic.

For this current Storck Fascenario 0.6, I intend to build a more comfortable and rock-solid rig that I will use for my longer-distance rides of about 150km or so. The criteria is that the components must work with the frame as a whole to wrap me in comfort, better handling and safety.

Having laid out the ride criteria, I also do not want to sacrifice the overall weight too much. My target is to have the final build come in at between 5.5 to 6kg with almost all "everyday" parts. Fellow weenie konky had previously pushed the weight envelope with his superb sub 5kg Di2 F0.6 build (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=99320&hilit=best+bike+storck) so my current "everyday" F0.6 build could be interesting as a comparison and for reference to potential buyers of the F0.6 as a daily ride (or as a weenie ride).

Let the build begin....
Last edited by Discoverspeed on Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:29 am, edited 6 times in total.
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

On the stand Mr. Storck F0.6, your case begins...

Storck F.3 5.5kg
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TOflat

by TOflat

Do you happen to have just the frame weight on this? I'm curious as to how it compares against the 0.7 with 233g TRP brakes. Also, spot on build.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

The Build List

As mentioned, this is not an all out weight weenie build but rather a build for "everyday ride" and comfortable enough for my longer 150km rides.

Emphasis is on comfort, ride quality, handling and safety. Components are Storck factory recommendations (apart from the new wheels that Storck are offering which they promised are very special and will be launched at a later date). Groupset is a standard Shimano Di2 (apart from the pulleys which are color coded and crankset which has been changed to Storck's own Powerarms SL).

1. Storck Fascenario 0.6 scheme 2012. Frame size 51 (more like a 53) without fork, seat clamp and headset (with BB shell, BB bearings, front/ rear hangers, rear brakes and brake mounts) - 1.03kg. @konky weighed his F0.6 frame bare without BB shell, BB bearings and brake at 830g.
2. Storck Scapula F Fork by THM (uncut with integrated brake) - 378g
3. Storck Ceramic Headset by Acros (drop-in integrated) - 61g
4. Storck Top Cap and bolt - 11g
5. Storck Handlebar full carbon RBC 177 (42cm c2c, 31.8mm diameter) - 250g
6. Storck Stem F119 by Syntace, 6 degrees flop, Ti screws in speed blue (90mm) - 115g
7. Storck Saddle Prologo Nago EVO Nack carbon black - 170g
8. Storck Seat Post 185 Ultracomfort carbon 31.6mm (uncut) - 226g
9. Storck Seat Clamp by Token, alloy 34.9mm diameter (didn't want to fool around here) - 13g
10. Storck Powerarms SL crank by THM without chain rings or bolts- 388g
11. BB30 shell and bearings (included in frame)
12. Rotor Chain Rings 53/39T - 155g
13. Chain ring bolts in speed blue by Extralite "ExtraBolts"- 9g
14. KMC Chain gold - 240g
15. Look Keo Ti Carbon pedals (waiting for new Garmin/Vector power, wait and wait) - 190g
16. Madfiber wheels tubular, ceramic hubs - 1085g
17. Veloflex Extreme Tubulars - 460g pair
18. Recon cassette 11-25 with Mowa lock ring - 109g
19. Carbon Ti skewers - 35g
20. Brake pads cork by Madfiber - 26g (the only brake thingy that needs to be added!)
21. Di2 Groupset less crank, chain rings, brakes and BB (as estimated via konky's build list) - 836g
22. Storck Microfibre bartape and cap (estimated) - 45g
23. Shimano brake cables - darn it, didn't weigh - I estimate about 100g or so
24. Others - grease, glue.....

Total paper build 5.9kg (with uncut fork and seat post). Fair enough, within my target weight range with Storck's factory components.

So let's see....
Storck F.3 5.5kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Frame module size 51 (sloping size equivalent more to a conventional size 53) including BB shell, BB bearings, front/ rear hangers, rear brake mechanism and holders - 1.03kg.

Frame is closer to low 800g without the BB and rear brake (this is the 2012 full matt black version without the older scheme's shiny paint protection stickers which add quite a few grams). Not to mention the big Storck badge that takes pride of place on the head tube - additional weight but who is to argue with tradition? Other ww frames have their badges painted on.

The F0.6 bare frame is only a shade heavier than the previous Storck weight weenie champion, the F0.7IS I believe. However, the comparison is not direct as the F0.6 is Di2 ready with additional internal cable channels. So on a like for like basis, the F0.6 frame weight is probably on par with the F0.7IS. The main difference however is in it's ride, with the F0.6 touted as plushier.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

LiveFastRideHard

by LiveFastRideHard

Another gorgeous build to add to the collection. Looking forward to this one also. :beerchug:
Felt DA(RIP), Look 595, Merlin CR Works, Calfee Tetra Pro, Moots Vamoots

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Selected weight shots. Thought I would show only the Storck matching components as the other stuff have been posted before in other threads.

Handle bars weigh quite a lot and has a very aggressive drop of 40. Understand Storck has another bar coming out later this year which is more weenie

Sorry for the shaky shot here - the best wrench dens are a bit dark
Storck F.3 5.5kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Now, should I or shouldn't I.... haven't got the guts to use them since buying them years back.

Maybe no, as this is a daily ride and I have punctured 6 times this year.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

konky

by konky

Discoverspeed I just find this build so exiting. You're right in saying the the thing with this bike isn't weight. If you want a light bike get a Cannondale Evo and save a bit of money. The 0.6 is about ride. It's unbelievable.

Two tiny comments about your build if you don't mind. For that build I'd go for a Dura Ace 7900 cassette instead of the recon. And the Tune U20 skewers are no heavier than the ones you feature and are in my view are the best skewers out there regardless of weight.

Good luck with the build.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Thanks konky. Yes this frame is designed for pure riding indulgence and must be built that way to squeeze the most out of it. I will switch back to the original DA cassette after I grind the Recon out. I bought the Recon initially as spare for the 0.7IS but might as well use it now.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Hi guys, the initial build is complete.

Note: Saddle angle not adjusted properly in this shot

My "plushed up" Fascenario 0.6's final weight is 6kg - just on the dot of my upper target and pretty close to my paper build estimate.

In fact the build weight was spot on my paper build estimate based on the workshop photo below of 5.85kg (without bar tape and cage) before I started fattening it up with remote shifters etc).

This is built the way I like to ride it - indulging in remote satellite rear shifters, adding an additional computer mount, more sturdy bottle cage, more comfortable seat post and saddle etc. By my calculations and demonstrated by konky's aforementioned build, if I had used all the uber light stuff, this build will be closer to the 5kg mark. As konky mentioned, there are cheaper frames to achieve this and the Fascenario 0.6 is better appreciated as a super ride and not the lightest ride.

Storck F.3 5.5kg

konky

by konky

Spot on build. Congratulations. I absolutely love it. You're going to be in rider's heaven.

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Had a chance to take the F0.6 out for an acquaintance and fine tuning ride this morning.

All I want to say at this point is WOW, a superbly controlled, comfortable and balanced ride. I haven't felt such a rush in the feeling of "can this be true?" for any new ride (and I had plenty) for a long long time.

The last time I felt such a good connection between rider and bike was when I first rode the Prince and that was more than a decade ago. Since then, on roadies alone I had three more Princes, a Dogma, a F0.7, F0.7IS and S5 - all good in some way but also weak points for each. It is very rare for both the bike and rider to communicate and sync with one another - sometimes the bike overpowers and controls you, sometimes you need to put in a lot of effort into the bike before it responds. Rarely does a bike understand you as one. I think experienced riders know exactly what I am saying. The Fascenario 0.6 is an extension of you. It is part of you.

I cannot fault the F0.6 in any way so far - I can fling the bike, pump the bike, brake hard, sprint etc. Definitely 10 out of 10 right now from me. Putting aside euphoric scores that normally accompany new rides, note that my other new ride scores have barely hit 8 on first rides (and it gets downhill from there) so there is already a significant difference in ride quality right off the starting block.

I will post a long term ride report at a subsequent date.
Storck F.3 5.5kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

More first ride shots

Storck F.3 5.5kg

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Details

Storck's corporate "speed blue" dashes of color everywhere. Subtle and classy.

Storck F.3 5.5kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com