Cannondale SystemSix Hi-Mod BB30 project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

53x12 wrote:@ ProfessorChaos

I picked up some 400 and 1000 grit wet sandpaper tonight. Those were the highest grit count wet sandpaper they had in stock. I am curious what you used? Do you think I will be ok with that?

After going through all the paint, I am blown away by how beautiful the frame still is. The aluminum welds are quite stunning. :beerchug:

Yeah you should be fine. Just don't get too overzealous with the 400 grit. You want to remove as little carbon as possible. I used 1000 after I cleared it to wet sand, and buff the clear.

53x12

by 53x12

Still have some significant work left for the front. Still a bit of black paint left before I get to the carbon fiber. Frame currently at 1091g, might be another 10g of paint on the frame.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Some updated pictures of the frame:

At this point I feel like I am close to call it quits and just paint it. Now it is at the point of diminishing returns and the frame is stripped enough to get a good paint job on it. Any thoughts? I think if I put some more time into sanding it, the headtube deserves a little more time.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

masters324

by masters324

At this point I feel like I am close to call it quits and just paint it. Now it is at the point of diminishing returns and the frame is stripped enough to get a good paint job on it. Any thoughts? I think if I put some more time into sanding it, the headtube deserves a little more time.[/quote]

You went beyond the amount of sanded I did for my frame and It came out fine... Did I mention I got REALLY sick from the process (breathe in some fumes etc) anyway I say PAINT IT!

53x12

by 53x12

masters324 wrote:
You went beyond the amount of sanded I did for my frame and It came out fine... Did I mention I got REALLY sick from the process (breathe in some fumes etc) anyway I say PAINT IT!

Did you get sick from the spray paint or the sanding? I have been set sanding and had no issues with that, but can see how the spray paint would make one feel sick.

I just want to do a little more on the headtube and the toptube as I'm not 100% happy with them. I know I will paint right over it, but still feel I should do a proper job.

masters324

by masters324

Did you get sick from the spray paint or the sanding? I have been set sanding and had no issues with that, but can see how the spray paint would make one feel sick.

I just want to do a little more on the headtube and the toptube as I'm not 100% happy with them. I know I will paint right over it, but still feel I should do a proper job.[/quote]

It might have been both.. but mostly from painting... wear a mask! You've gone this far sanding it mind as well do like you said and finish it properly.. Your definitely more patient then I am.. Good luck!

53x12

by 53x12

^ When you bought your paint, did you just get off the shelf rattle can paint? Or did you go to an auto store and have them mix up auto quality spray paint?

masters324

by masters324

53x12 wrote:^ When you bought your paint, did you just get off the shelf rattle can paint? Or did you go to an auto store and have them mix up auto quality spray paint?

literally rattle can paint... with all your labor into it.. I would probably invest in some nice paint :thumbup:

53x12

by 53x12

I need some comments and advice regarding color of the decals. I am going to paint the frame a flat black color. For decals should I go with a graphite gray color? Gloss black? Something else?
Last edited by 53x12 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highwater

by highwater

Sweet project. Personally I think graphite gray decals would look better than gloss black, but depending on the shade of gray and black, they might be really hard to see. Gloss black would be easier to see, but at the risk of looking like a CAAD10-1 clone. What exactly is a flame black color?

53x12

by 53x12

Highwater, sorry it was suppose to be flat black not flame black. Was on my mobile device when I sent that. So I will blame it on fat fingers and autocorrect.

I agree regarding the gloss black being easier to see and one reason I was thinking about going that route. Didn't think about it being a CAAD10 clone, so maybe not the best route to go. I am still trying to decide if I want the decals to be noticeable from a distance, or more subtle to the eye. The graphite gray might be more subtle. I just don't want it to be too subtle and look like a piss poor job if that makes sense?

Edit: Do I just go with one decal on DT and one decal on TT (both sides)?
Last edited by 53x12 on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Matte frame, gloss decals! :thumbup:

KB

by KB

tonytourist wrote:Matte frame, gloss decals! :thumbup:

Agree.

highwater

by highwater

53x12 wrote:Highwater, sorry it was suppose to be flat black not flame black. Was on my mobile device when I sent that. So I will blame it on fat fingers and autocorrect.

I agree regarding the gloss black being easier to see and one reason I was thinking about going that route. Didn't think about it being a CAAD10 clone, so maybe not the best route to go. I am still trying to decide if I want the decals to be noticeable from a distance, or more subtle to the eye. The graphite gray might be more subtle. I just don't want it to be too subtle and look like a piss poor job if that makes sense?

Edit: Do I just go with one decal on DT and one decal on TT (both sides)?

The more I think about it, the more graphite gray seems like it would actually be too subtle. The CAAD10-1 frame I have is pretty darn subtle itself with the gloss decals - it just looks plain black until the light hits it right.

One on DT and one on TT each side sounds about right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blantonator

by blantonator

updates?