Trek 5500 <14lbs for <$1400

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I've been collecting parts for this build for a long time and it has been a real trial of my patience trying to get only the best deals on ebay (all parts purchased on ebay unless otherwise noted). I'm still waiting for some parts to arrive and I am still working on stripping the clear off the frame and fork.

I was originally planning on going with a chinese carbon frame, but since I got such a good deal on the Trek frame I decided to splurge on a few of the other components (namely the carbon rims and planet-x brakes)

Purple highlighting means I have purchased the part. Weights highlighted in gold have been verified by me. I will verify all weights before the build occurs (which may take a while, stripping the carbon is a pain).

I'm not too worried about spinning out the 1x8 since I'm not planning on racing this bike and I just love the simplicity the 1x adds. If I spin out, I'll just coast. :noidea:

I've also got a very trick solution to mount the SRAM TT shifter on my DT. Stay tuned.

Please tell me what you think of the build!

Last edited by 2002maniac on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yrodriguez317

by yrodriguez317

i am pretty excited to see what you put together here. I enjoy peculiar builds such as this. start weighing and sending in pictures!

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I have updated my build spreadsheet. Budget is slightly over (:P) but I have the new takeoff Sram force rings and the woodman ti clamp that came with my seatpost to sell on ebay still so I'll recoup some of my expenses there.

I'm considering blowing the budget out of the water and picking up a lighter fork. I could save near 200 grams with an all-carbon fork.

Progress has been slow on the frame, but I'm nearing the end. I just need to finish scraping the rear triangle and then sand, sand, sand... I'm thinking I'll just use 303 on the nude carbon.

Here's some scale shots:

Basic eggbeater pedals before ti spindles

After ti spindles

Dia Compe lever before tuning

After tuning (hollowed out the plastic housing with dremel)

SLR Evolution Saddle (kind of disappointing that the carbon weave is just a vinyl overlay, I think I'll end up stripping it since it's not in the best shape)

Many more to come!

Please let me know what you think of the build! Any suggestions?

odin99

by odin99

might want to think about a lighter fork.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I just worked out a sweet deal for an Alpha Q GS10 fork so that should drop about 150g. Hopefully I can sell my stock fork and partially offset the cost. I'll update the spreadsheet soon, but it looks like I'm at ~6207g(13.66lbs) and $1405 before selling the OE fork. :D

I can't wait to ride this thing. Just need to finish stripping the frame and wait for the fork to come in. Should I strip it as well?

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I got the Alpha Q fork in and it weighs 335g with the aluminum insert and starnut installed.

Spreadsheet is reading 13.63lbs :D

I'm 95% done stripping the frame and I laced up my wheels last night. 20h Radial front, 28h 2x/3x rear.

Build pics should be coming very soon!

jooo

by jooo

oh please detail your solution for the SRAM downtube shifter. I'm thinking it's not too hard to adapt something but I wouldn't mind seeing other people's ideas. I'm thinking about a similar drive-train for my commuter and despite not having something that's a direct fit (like Shimano), SRAM seems to offer a really good $/gram/performance ratio.

Cool project.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

here's a quick sketch of the adapter for the TT shifter on the downtube. Thankfully I have a few CNC machines at my disposal. I have already made a more basic prototype to prove the concept and it seems like it will work fine :D. Maybe I'll make a handfull and make them available to the weenies here.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I finished building the bike and have put about 50 miles on it. Love it! I have updated the spreadsheet but still need to get the complete bike on the scale and take some good pictures. The fork steerer turned out to be a bit long so I have 25mm of spacers that I'd rather get rid of, but with the epoxied insert I'm not sure I can cut the steerer any shorter :(

Stripping the frame was a ton of work, but well worth it! The quality of the carbon layup is fantastic and I'm happy to show it off to the world.

Timo

by Timo

Pics of the bike?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Sorry, I've been busy riding! I love this bike. It has exceeded my expectations in being light and responsive. Here's a few pics. I need to do a proper photo shoot still...

wasabi1

by wasabi1

very impressive! Considering the cost.

Like the TT shifter as a downtube shifter!

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Thanks, I'm very proud of the build. It took many months of putting in lowball bids on ebay before all the parts came together.

How about some critiques? What would WW do differently? Should I strip the seatpost and fork to match the frame? I do wish that all the carbon parts had matching weave.

1x10 is perfect for me. I live in the mountains of Utah and can still climb anything I've come across with 42x28 gearing. Top speed is fine too. I can still bomb canyons at 40+mph. Would drop the chain every once in a while before adding the Chain Guide, now it's perfect.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Well, I had some problems with the Chinese carbon clinchers. They both bulged (one very badly) after a very steep canyon decent. I guess they don't like too much heat.

Luckily, light-bicycle will honor their warranty so I'm having them replace them with a set of 20mm tubs. Meanwhile I'll be building up a set of kinlin xr270s.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Sweet and simple! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com