Next up, outdoor shots hopefully.
I did my first ride on the bike after work last night. I only had a small window to ride by the time I made a few adjustments, setup my cleats and got out there so I won't do a full blown report until I get in a couple longer rides.
Condensed first impressions:
- the Tune GumGum doesn't seem very great. I haven't had any luck with this so far. This came with my headset thankfully, but had I spent the money on this separately, I would've been disappointed. It slips, and I was unable to remove the play from the front end. Doesn't take much for the 3mm top cap bolt to get scoffed up either. I ended up using the porky Enve expander to lock things down and then replaced it with the Tune.
- The bike feels fast, and smooth. My Ti mountain bike is a lot more flexy, I wasn't sure how this would compare in terms of stiffness. It felt stiff but with a hair of give; definitely not harsh. It was a great example that some of the generalizations make about frame materials are completely inaccurate. The design of the frame makes all the difference.
- Frame fit felt great so far.
- This was my first ride ever on Speedplays. Clipping in for the first time was a bit weird, but once I got in once, it was dead easy. I know people either love or hate the feel, but probably after 2 short climbs I was in love with the way they felt. I suspect my knees are going to like these pedals very much. Of course I haven't slipped on a tiled floor, or got my cleats clogged up with debris yet, so I could still hate the, but so far so good
- Engagement on the King 45's is great. Hubs are super smooth. They sound so sweet and smooth!
- Shifting was flawless. Love the way the shifting felt at the lever (This is my first bike with Campagnolo). Brakes felt like they had awesome modulation, and power.
- Tires felt great. I ran them at 110 psi, but I think I could even go down to 100 for a little extra comfort.
- Ergonova's felt good. Loved the compact drop. I still need to do a slight adjustment of the bar angle and transition into the lever hoods.