Lynskey R330 Build - Complete - photos starting on pg 4

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nachtjager

by nachtjager

Crazy,

Change out the record for super record and you have the same bike as me!

Good taste my friend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Welcome to the Lynskey family! Looks like a solid build. Weight on that R330 seems a bit high though, have they beefed up the tubes with the redesign? My Level 3 was in the mid to upper 1200s.

jsinclair

by jsinclair

Ive used challenge latex tubes to great offect for the last two years. It may take a little extra care to install but i havent had any problems with them, and they are really light.

Having owned both types of the j&l seatposts i can say that i havnt had any of the quality issues mentioned earlier and they have fit several different saddles perfectly. In both cases the finish matched my brushed litespeed exactly. Of the two i would have to say that i prefer the first kind as the clamp looks a little neater overall.

nspace

by nspace

nachtjager wrote:Crazy,

Change out the record for super record and you have the same bike as me!

Good taste my friend

Whoa serious?! Can you send me some photos? Would love to see it all built up!

nspace

by nspace

Ramjm_2000 wrote:Welcome to the Lynskey family! Looks like a solid build. Weight on that R330 seems a bit high though, have they beefed up the tubes with the redesign? My Level 3 was in the mid to upper 1200s.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't buy the frame based on weight so it wasn't a huge deal but I was a bit disappointed that it was well over 1400g. I was expecting mid-low 1300s. Not sure what they have changed, but I know on all their road frames they have stopped using 31.6 seatposts but kept the tubes the same OD. Instead they are using an alloy press fit shim to bring the ID down to 27.2. I appreciate the switch to 27.2 for comfort reasons and because the size is very common, but would have preferred a smaller diameter tube instead of resorting to a shim.

Adding a shim just seems like extra weight and one more place for things to creak. It is a much nicer looking execution than what they are doing on their MTB's now. On their MTB frames they have a added some sort of welded shim and there is an ugly weld around the circumference of the seat-tube. Yuck. That said, my Lynskey made Ragley is internally shimmed to 27.2 and it doesn't creak at all. It looks like they executed that shim differently on this frame though. Time will tell if it poses any issues. Not sure where else they added weight...maybe thicker tubes or less agressive butting in areas. I will take some more detailed photos with my SLR when I get a chance. Included in that weight are 4 steel cage bolts that came with the frame that were around 2.5g each, so an extra 10g or so. I will swap those out for alloy bolts in the final build.

I do think they should have updated their product descriptions to make note of the shim, and include photos to reflect these changes (all road frame photo's don't show it). It is a bit misleading because this changed between the point in time when I purchased and when it was fabricated. The original product pages still aid 31.6 seat tube until about a month after. Luckily I checked in after noticing a question on their facebook wall and confirmed the change before I went out and bought a seatpost.

nspace

by nspace

jsinclair wrote:Ive used challenge latex tubes to great offect for the last two years. It may take a little extra care to install but i havent had any problems with them, and they are really light.

Having owned both types of the j&l seatposts i can say that i havnt had any of the quality issues mentioned earlier and they have fit several different saddles perfectly. In both cases the finish matched my brushed litespeed exactly. Of the two i would have to say that i prefer the first kind as the clamp looks a little neater overall.

Thanks jsinclair. I really like the look of the first post. I just hope their is enough room to maneuverer in Fizik Kurve rails. That is my biggest concern. Really don't want to resort to modifying anything with a dremel if don't have to. Thanks again for all the pics and info. I don't know why this is such a tough decision for me :)

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

nspace wrote:
Ramjm_2000 wrote:Welcome to the Lynskey family! Looks like a solid build. Weight on that R330 seems a bit high though, have they beefed up the tubes with the redesign? My Level 3 was in the mid to upper 1200s.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't buy the frame based on weight so it wasn't a huge deal but I was a bit disappointed that it was well over 1400g. I was expecting mid-low 1300s. Not sure what they have changed, but I know on all their road frames they have stopped using 31.6 seatposts but kept the tubes the same OD. Instead they are using an alloy press fit shim to bring the ID down to 27.2. I appreciate the switch to 27.2 for comfort reasons and because the size is very common, but would have preferred a smaller diameter tube instead of resorting to a shim.

Adding a shim just seems like extra weight and one more place for things to creak. It is a much nicer looking execution than what they are doing on their MTB's now. On their MTB frames they have a added some sort of welded shim and there is an ugly weld around the circumference of the seat-tube. Yuck. That said, my Lynskey made Ragley is internally shimmed to 27.2 and it doesn't creak at all. It looks like they executed that shim differently on this frame though. Time will tell if it poses any issues. Not sure where else they added weight...maybe thicker tubes or less agressive butting in areas. I will take some more detailed photos with my SLR when I get a chance. Included in that weight are 4 steel cage bolts that came with the frame that were around 2.5g each, so an extra 10g or so. I will swap those out for alloy bolts in the final build.

I do think they should have updated their product descriptions to make note of the shim, and include photos to reflect these changes (all road frame photo's don't show it). It is a bit misleading because this changed between the point in time when I purchased and when it was fabricated. The original product pages still aid 31.6 seat tube until about a month after. Luckily I checked in after noticing a question on their facebook wall and confirmed the change before I went out and bought a seatpost.

I suspect it's like you said a less agressively butted tube set, maybe like a modestly butted Cooper. If it was the double/triple butted tubeset there really wouldn't be any significant difference between the R330 and R340. Add the slightly heavier insert and I could see the additional 100-125gms right there. That said, even with the beefed up frame and insert she's a looker! Can't wait to see it built up. I've got a Cooper Disk CX in the que and anticpate that it will have the new insert as well. Keep those pics coming.

JR

MeestahChow

by MeestahChow

Mark tipped me to this thread.

I've started to assemble the bits for my Kona Raijin, hence the multiple Ti seatposts.

Too bad Toronto Cycles doesn't stock those layback posts anymore the one I got for my R230 looks great. The curve that gives it its layback compliments the curved seatstays. I wanted a 27.2 for my Titus but alas nothing left.

I picked up this one a while ago and it's pretty nice. The cradles are pretty generous and the tube is nicely swaged at the clamp.

If you're in the city drop me a line and you can check out all the Ti goodness.

MeestahChow

by MeestahChow

Here's a quick list of Ti seatpost makers, please feel free to add to the list:

Bold Precision
Black Sheep
Firefly
Lynskey
Moots
Seven
Kent Erikson
Van Nicholas
dayjobbikes.com
Livery Design Group
and of course J&L

nspace

by nspace

Thanks Alan! Would love to check it out in person, I will drop you a line.

I was strongly considering a Kent Eriksen post until I decided on the Kurve saddle. The rails won't work with that post unfortunately. This is the case with a few others. The Black Sheep post could be really nice, I like the idea of having the Thomson clamp up top. In any case I may just wait to get it all built up and see where I need to position my seat with a spare Thomson I have and make the final call then.

nachtjager

by nachtjager

[/quote]Whoa serious?! Can you send me some photos? Would love to see it all built up![/quote]

I will when it's all built up, I scored one of the same run of frames, only mine's XL. Currently in the belly of a plane to me in Australia.

Cheers :beerchug:

nspace

by nspace

That's awesome. Can't wait to see it. My rims arrived in the mail today. To my wife's displeasure, the dining room table is about to be converted into a temporary workshop. It sucks living in a high rise where I have no dedicated work space.

frohrider

by frohrider

It's nice to see some of the new R330's here. Regarding the changes on the frame.. there are most likely some. My own frame developed some cracks on both chainstays which were fixed early 2011 by lynskey. The new chainstays added ~25gr. to my frame, which is now 1490gr (size XL).

Supersix HiMod, Supersix EVO HiMod, Crux, CaadX, Lynskey R330 & Pro29, Yelli Screamy 29

nspace

by nspace

Looks like I got the XL weight in my Medium :oops:

Looks great!

- - -

So my wheels are laced up. I contemplated for a while, after consulting with fellow wheelbuilders, to see if I needed to use nipple washers on the Alpha340's. I got mixed answers. Both positive for with and without. I decided to error on the side of caution and use them. Prior to receiving them I was under the impression they were super thin. Turns out they are a little beefier (in dimension) than I expected. As I found out during my preliminary tensioning, I think I probably should have allowed an extra mm or so in spoke length to accomodate the washer. Looks like I'm now going without them!

The wheels weighed in at approx 1306g (before tape and skewers of course).

Ramjm_2000

by Ramjm_2000

Sounds like a great wheel build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com