Cervélo R3 with Record 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

fio
in the industry

by fio

Page 3 has all current pictures. Haven't gotten a chance to weigh it lately, although it should sit somewhere in the 15's with the ENVE wheels.

Specs:

Headset: FSA IS-2
Seatpost: FSA SLK
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo Record
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Record
Crankset: Campagnolo Record “11 Speed” 165mm
Bottom Bracket: Campagnolo Record w/ BBright Adapter Cups
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo Record
Shifter / Brake Levers: Campagnolo Record
Cables: Jagwire cables, Shimano Housing
Cassette: Campagnolo Record 11×25 or Campagnolo Chorus 12×27
Chain: Campagnolo Record
Handlebars: Zipp Service Course SSR 38cm (40cm O-O)
Stem: PRO Vibe 7s 120mm
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR XP or Prologo Scratch Nack
Tires: Continental GP 4000s
Pedals: Look Keo Blade
Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible

Wheels:
Race Wheels
ENVE 45 tubular with PowerTap G3. Vittoria CX Corsa II

Training Wheels
Rims: H Plus Son Archetype
Front Hub: Alchemy ELF 20 hole
Rear Hub: PowerTap G3 24 hole
Spokes: Sapim CX-Ray
Last edited by fio on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

schmiken

by schmiken

Looks awesome, bar the red bit on the post. Maybe consider repainting or changing to a 3T post?

fio
in the industry

by fio

schmiken wrote:Looks awesome, bar the red bit on the post. Maybe consider repainting or changing to a 3T post?

I didn't go with the 3T because the clamp on the Doric (I use a zero setback) isn't the best. I just grabbed the FSA because it's what was in the shop at the time. Once again, perhaps the ENVE post would be a good fit here.

It's kind of strange though, because at first I didn't quite like the red on the post either. However, my club kit, which is blue and white, does have a noticeable amount of red sponsorship logos which actually match the post rather well. Plus, my shoes are red and white so it comes together quite nicely, albeit unexpectedly.

However, I might just choose to keep the red off the bike altogether. I still haven't decided on the post. Glad you dig the whole thing though!

finner

by finner

That's a nice no nonsence machine! Cervelo's are after getting a little scarce on here especially in that colour scheme. Enjoy the ride.

fio
in the industry

by fio

finner wrote:That's a nice no nonsence machine! Cervelo's are after getting a little scarce on here especially in that colour scheme. Enjoy the ride.

Thanks! I was a bit unsure about the color scheme at first, mostly because my UW kit is black, white, and red, but luckily my club kit is white and blue so it works well. I'll be having tons of fun on it for sure!

fio
in the industry

by fio

laager wrote:
fio wrote:Also, if anyone can give me the exact year of my Record group I'd appreciate it. I know it's some of the early stuff, but I'd like to have it pinpointed.

Cranks are odd. White 11 on red background is the SR colour scheme (opposite for Record). I wonder if because they are 165mm and very low volume sales Campagnolo has decided to only make one colour scheme and simply install steel or ceramic bearings to differentiate between them. However, what about Chorus?

Are the bearings ceramic or steel?

In any event, they would be 2011+ as that's when Campagnolo started with the red on the Record and Super Record 11s groupsets. The rest of the groupset has the 2009/2010 colour scheme.

The cranks are brand new--they were a special order. So they are from 2012. The bearings on them are ceramic. It says "Ceramic USB" on the top of the crank arm. Thanks for the info on the rest though. I have a hunch that they're 2009 but I'll see what else I can find out. Thanks!

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

:welcome:

And very nice machine... but then again I am partial to R3s with Campagnolo! :wink:
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

fio
in the industry

by fio

laager wrote:I think 2009 due to the RD having shiny alloy components.

Got it. I'll stick with the 2009 estimate then.

Powerful Pete wrote::welcome:

And very nice machine... but then again I am partial to R3s with Campagnolo! :wink:

Thanks. I'm fond of my different little beast. Our Campy Cervélos stand out in a good way :thumbup:

beardking

by beardking

I have that seat post but I sanded the decals off and then relaquered it, its pretty easy to do and i think mine turned out looking sweet

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Nice. You seldomly see Cervelos of any model with Campagnolo. :thumbup:

johnsonj718

by johnsonj718

I rode an R3 for 4 years and loved every minute of it... enjoy your bike!

fio
in the industry

by fio

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. I'm really enjoying riding this bike. Just finished a week of training with the team in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina (much different terrain from what I'm used to in Wisconsin) and this bike just loves to climb. It really is something special.

I'm hoping to get some better pictures sometime soon with a better camera. I'll post them as soon as I get them!

fio
in the industry

by fio

Got some new pictures here. I reduced the stack height of the headset by putting on a much lower top cover on the headset, and I swapped the 3T stem for a Thompson. The -10 degree of the Thompson helps me to achieve a better drop and compensates for the slack headtube angle, which happens to angle a -6 too far up for my liking. I'm now looking to get a Masterpiece seatpost to match the stem. Should have it pretty soon. I also swapped the tape for my preferred Fizik Microtex rather than that goofy velvety stuff they have. Here are the new photos:

For some reason I really like how the non-drive side looks:

and a nice little close up of the special "11 Speed" crank:

I'm hoping to put on Enve 3.4s by the end of the summer as well. I think that should really complete the blacked-out component look that I'm going for. Comments welcome! :beerchug:

7ducati

by 7ducati

Great looking R3! Can I ask how tall you are?
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

fio
in the industry

by fio

Thanks! And of course, I'm 5'4", but my inseam is a relatively short 28.5 inches. I think the 48cm R3 is a perfect fit. The head tube is a little tall (hence the low stack of my top cover and angle of my stem) but I feel like it gets me in in a very efficient position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com