Cervélo R3 with Record 48cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

NapD

by NapD

GT56 wrote:
NapD wrote:I currently have the team R3 with Rotor 3D+ cranks and SRAM Red. I'm sorely tempted to go Campag myself.
I've just put 0G brakes on too so all I'll need are shifters and mechs.

Who knows, I may even start a thread.

Why bother when not changing to the best braking brakes and the finest looking cranks (with a top stiffness to weight ratio) in the industry.

Not to forget you'd have to change cassettes/freewheel/rear wheel

Fair comment...

I may buy my next bike with full SR though...

As for the bike on this thread, it looks good! I like the black bar tape and saddle.

fio
in the industry

by fio

NapD wrote:
GT56 wrote:
NapD wrote:I currently have the team R3 with Rotor 3D+ cranks and SRAM Red. I'm sorely tempted to go Campag myself.
I've just put 0G brakes on too so all I'll need are shifters and mechs.

Who knows, I may even start a thread.

Why bother when not changing to the best braking brakes and the finest looking cranks (with a top stiffness to weight ratio) in the industry.

Not to forget you'd have to change cassettes/freewheel/rear wheel

Fair comment...

I may buy my next bike with full SR though...

As for the bike on this thread, it looks good! I like the black bar tape and saddle.

Thanks for the comment. As for Campy on the Cervelo, yeah it's been great. I love it. However, in your position, I'd stick with what you've got and got for the full thing with your next bike. Seems more economical that way (not having to bother swapping things out) and it would be a nice complete picture too :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mbarsan

by mbarsan

Hello fio, I want to order a cervelo r3 2013 and I have doubts about the sizes, could you tell me the measure of your cervelo r3 from bb to top of saddle?
I´m 160cm., and 72 cm inseam. I think Cervelo R3 size 48cm would be good.

Thanks and greetings from Spain

fio
in the industry

by fio

BB to saddle top is 68cm most days. At times I lower it a bit but 68cm is my standard.

Some big changes coming for this bike, to be documented in pictures very soon:

Currently has:
Zipp Service Course SSR bars
PRO Vibe 7S 120mm stem (logos removed)
CycleOps Joule GPS

Zipps are now gone and will be replaced with Enve 3.4 carbon clinchers with G3 PowerTap very soon. After that's in place pics will be posted I promise!

fio
in the industry

by fio

As it sits in winter training mode:

MrHeng

by MrHeng

Hey fio! Beautiful R3 you have there.
How did you remove the logo on the pro vibe 7s stem?

fio
in the industry

by fio

All it took was some acetone--it came off very easily. Took maybe five minutes altogether. I'm glad you like it :)

MrHeng

by MrHeng

Really clean and beautiful look when the logos are off :D thanks for the advice I might get that stem and do the same thing for my BOB Caad 10!

fio
in the industry

by fio

Here are a few updates with different wheels:

With ENVE 45 and PowerTap G3

H Plus Son, Alchemy ELF, and G3

Ambrosio Crono and Record Hubs w/ Challenge Stradas

Note that 25's don't actually fit on this bike. Took off a good amount of paint on the fork and the brake bridge after running Continental GP4000s 25's. I'll be running the Ambrosios on my next bike, a Gaulzetti Corsa.

idler

by idler

Just interested why you have gone from the Thomson stem back to the Pro? Do you find the Pro stiffer?

Interestingly I have just replaced a silver Thomson with a de-labelled silver Pro stem - my reason was aesthetic however (it partners very well with a Nitto S65 silver seatpost).

L84AD8

by L84AD8

Great looking bike Fio, I like how you are trying different bits and pieces here and there and actually do ride the bike!! keep it up!

fio
in the industry

by fio

idler wrote:Just interested why you have gone from the Thomson stem back to the Pro? Do you find the Pro stiffer?

The initial reason why I went to the Pro stem was because I was having issues with the faceplate on the Thomson. My bars kept slipping no matter what torque I applied (FWIW, I was using Ti bolts). The faceplate is the area that the Pro stem really shines. The faceplate on it is HUGE, much wider and with much more surface area than the Thomson. I can definitely feel more stiffness there, and the whole stem is indeed incredibly rigid. I also benefited from increased stiffness from the Zipp bars as well. The 3T's were a little flexy. Overall I'm very please with how the cockpit has turned out.

L84AD8 wrote:Great looking bike Fio, I like how you are trying different bits and pieces here and there and actually do ride the bike!! keep it up!

Thanks! Hoping to get even more miles in this year :beerchug:

idler

by idler

fio wrote:
idler wrote:Just interested why you have gone from the Thomson stem back to the Pro? Do you find the Pro stiffer?

The initial reason why I went to the Pro stem was because I was having issues with the faceplate on the Thomson. My bars kept slipping no matter what torque I applied (FWIW, I was using Ti bolts). The faceplate is the area that the Pro stem really shines. The faceplate on it is HUGE, much wider and with much more surface area than the Thomson. I can definitely feel more stiffness there, and the whole stem is indeed incredibly rigid. I also benefited from increased stiffness from the Zipp bars as well. The 3T's were a little flexy. Overall I'm very please with how the cockpit has turned out.

L84AD8 wrote:Great looking bike Fio, I like how you are trying different bits and pieces here and there and actually do ride the bike!! keep it up!

Thanks! Hoping to get even more miles in this year :beerchug:

Re the Thomson - yes I have heard of people having slippage issues since Thomson went from 5mm to 4mm bolts.

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Old'ish thread sorry...

Great looking bike, i have just pulled the trigger on the same model, colour & size.

Can you please tell me on the 48 what the centre of the BB to to the top of the seat tube measures please. I'm not sure if the 48 is the measurement to the centre of the toptube or not.

Thanks.

njtrigal

by njtrigal

hello and happy new year. Do you by chance still have this frame/bike and would you be interested in selling it? I have one and I need another Cervelo R3. I like the White with Blue and don't really like the black. Just thought I would ask. Amy 908-295-6255

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com