Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3 - 2011

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Hi,

Well, I've finally gotten around to putting the winter bike together.

Of course, it's turned into something a little more special than your standard winter hack!

Here's some images of the new ride:

Here's the spec list:
    Frameset: S-Works Tarmac SL3
    Wheelset: DT Swiss RRC 1250 - Handmade in Switzerland - Shallow profile full carbon clinchers
    Bars: FSA K-Wing Compact
    Stem: FSA OS99 CSI
    Compression Plug: FSA Carbon Capped, Carbon specific
    Seat Post: FSA K-Force Light SB32
    Saddle: Specialized Romin
    Cranks: SRAM Red (standard bike comes with Specialized S-Works crankset)
    Chainring: SRAM Time trial big-ring (added stiffness)
    Groupset: Full SRAM Red (standard bike comes with TRP 950 brakes - swapped these out for SRAM Red)
    Pedals: Look Keo Carbon Blade Ti - 16nm
    Bottle Cages: Arundel (usual suspects!)
    Tyres: Schwalbe Ultremo R.1 (I'll swap these out for some ZX when they're back in stock)
    Bartape: Specialized Roubaix - Blue
    Rim Tape: Panaracer - Old Skool Cool!

Bling Bits:
    Chain: KMC X10SL Ti-N
    Skewers: Far And Near - Anodized Red
    Bottle Cage Bolts: Far And Near - Anodized Red
    Cassette Lock Ring: Token - Anodized Red
    Jockey Wheels: Token Tiramic - Anodized Red
    Cable Ferrules: Token - Anodized Red
    Barrel Adjusters: Token - Anodized Blue
    Chain Catcher: Far And Near - Anodized Red
    Veloflyte Handmade Carbon Bar-end Plugs

The Garmin 500 is the same that I use on the Parlee and the Knog light is the only one that will fit the bars! I've got an Exposure Joystick IV that I use, but that's helmet mounted as it won't fit the bars!

The bike comes in at around 6.58 in this trim - which is not really light, but lighter than it has any right to be considering all the parts are pretty much non-lightweigh specific and the frame is size HUGE.

Rides like a dream - VERY responsive steering (I'd hate to see what it is like with a reasonably sized stem!), wheels are incredible: smooth, spin up fast and hold speed well for such a shallow rim. The rear end of the bike is stiff (but not as stiff as the Parlee Z1) and the whole thing is actually much more comfortable than you may think.

I'll report back with a proper review when I've put some more kilometers into her. For now, I'm very happy with how it turned out. Well worth the effort and wait.

Cheers and ride safe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Really nice build for a "winter" bike.
Weight is not bad at all, not ultralight but considering it is biggest frame Specialized makes that is pretty damn good.
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

upside

by upside

You're ONE lucky dude :up: :beerchug:

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Winter bike hahaha....very nice. I really dig the SL3 in white/blue.

Keen to know what the DT swiss wheels are like. I want a set of carbon clinchers but i want something STIFF (i.e. as stiff as my Mavic CCU's)....what's your take on the wheels?
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

khdroberts

by khdroberts

No, this really is my winter hack.

DT Swiss = SUPER STIFF. A lot of people wonder why these wheels cost so much - they're hand made in Switzerland (and that's never going to be cheap) and they're incredibly stiff for the depth. Actually, they're stiff for any depth.

khdroberts

by khdroberts

upside:

Thanks man! I sure am! I'm also one HAPPY dude! :D

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

khdroberts wrote:all the parts are pretty much non-lightweight specific

And here I was thinking SRAM use weight as part of their marketing for Red... :noidea:

Fair winter 'hack' bike :thumbup:

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Tinea Pedis:

Yes, BUT it's not as if I'm using AX Lightness or THM clavicula or Schmolke or Lightweight gear.

Besides, Campy SR 2011 is lighter than SRAM Red!!! :lol:

dcj9

by dcj9

so this is really your winter bike :shock:
...champagne cyclist :thumbup:

dsotm

by dsotm

Not to rag on khroberts, but this is not a "winter" bike. Training bike, maybe. For anyone who has a real winter, a winter bike is one that you don't mind getting salt, sand, and winter related road grime on. I sure hope that's not right in this case. Most real "winter bikes" are either cx bikes with studs, or have fenders and they are typically made of alloy, typically steel or ti. Either way, nice bike with a sensible parts build.

deltasierra

by deltasierra

I think he meant winter project bike.

Big mammer jammer either way.

Link for those token barrel adjusters?

Caveman

by Caveman

It appears as though you dont think your stem size is a reasonable length? Looks to be a 130mm, which as far as I'm concerned, is the only length that IS reasonable (unless we're talking about a 140mm, which is even more reasonable).

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

You need to move somewhere with a real winter to be able to call that a winter bike...

khdroberts

by khdroberts

Yes, strangely enough, the definition of 'winter' does change depending on ones location - there's a surprise eh?

Anyway, I'm most assuredly NOT getting into some macho masochistic bragging match over who has a harder winter - that's pathetic and people who think they're somehow 'hard men/women' simply because they live in a cold area really do need to either move or STFU about it.

To me, this is a winter bike.

deltasierra:

Here's a link to the barrel adjusters: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=58047 They're not particularly expensive, don't weigh very much and are very solid - also add a nice bit of bling! :thumbup:

Caveman:

No, I think that the stem is just fine... (it's my height that's unreasonable!) but some people would beg to differ. Longer stems will slow down the handling somewhat and will be more prone to flex, but if I had my way I'd slam the stem, no spacers and run it like a real Euro-Pro! Of course, my back might have something to say about that... who knows? This frame is so nice to ride that I might cut the steerer lower anyway!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

Hi KHD - can you pm me re price of Specialized frames in Oz, weighing up
SL3 vs SL3 Roubaix
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com