Help me tune my 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 more...

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BikeArmsRace

by BikeArmsRace

So I finally got my 2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 a few weeks ago, and already started tuning it a bit. It is currently 24.5 lbs.

So far, I've done the following:

- Giant Contact SLR bars and stem (stem has titanium hardware)
- KCNC EVA Foam Grips
- Tubeless
- Syntace Carbon Seatpost
- Specialized Romin Evo Expect Saddle, 143mm
- Titanium Hardware in seatclamp
- Shimano XT SPD pedals

Other than those additions/changes, the bike is stock as delivered from Giant. Link to the full specs are here:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/anthem.advanced.27.5.1/14823/66146/

I'd like to knock off more weight, but really do like the Shimano XT double crankset gearing. I'm not willing to go 1x11 (or 1x10) for weight.

Here's a picture before the stem/bar/grips, when I first got it.

Specialized BG Fit Technician
2012 Specialized S Works Venge Project Black Dura Ace 9000 - 14.875 lbs.
2012 Spooky HavocStaff SRAM Red - 15.5 lbs.
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Ultegra 6800 - 16 lbs.
2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 - 24.5 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

Pretty sure the handlebars are heavy and stem too.

biggest saving would come from wheelset. Some handbuilt stanz rim on some decent hubs would save you a bunch I think. Brakes ain't light too.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

How about pedals? Or at least Ti spindles. XT are quality but heavy stuff...

Colin

by Colin

The stem is 145g, so a little weight might be able to be saved there, but Giant uses a 1 1/4 steerer tube, so that really narrows your choices.
The handlebars are definitely heavy. The New Ultimate EVO bars would save you around 110g.
Wheelset isn't exactly light, but not a complete boat anchor either. Crests laced up to American Classic hubs would save you around 220g.
Formula R1's can be had for pretty cheap on Ebay and would save quite a bit of weight.

The Giant Anthem Advanced 0 comes in at 22lbs and pretty much every component is lighter, so expect to spend quite a bit of money if you're wanting to drop significant weight.

BikeArmsRace

by BikeArmsRace

Colin wrote:The stem is 145g, so a little weight might be able to be saved there, but Giant uses a 1 1/4 steerer tube, so that really narrows your choices.
The handlebars are definitely heavy. The New Ultimate EVO bars would save you around 110g.
Wheelset isn't exactly light, but not a complete boat anchor either. Crests laced up to American Classic hubs would save you around 220g.
Formula R1's can be had for pretty cheap on Ebay and would save quite a bit of weight.

The Giant Anthem Advanced 0 comes in at 22lbs and pretty much every component is lighter, so expect to spend quite a bit of money if you're wanting to drop significant weight.

I weighed the new handlebars I got (Giant Contact SLR Riser) at 175g. I know I could go lighter with a flat bar, but comfort is key to me.

I do not know if Giant offers their carbon-rim 27.5 wheelset seperately yet...I'm afraid to ask how much.

I will look into the Formula R1s...I'll have to get some sort of mounting clamp for the XT shifters since they're integrated into the brake levers.

I didn't want to spend the extra $3000 for the Anthem Advanced 0 27.5 since it wasn't Shimano (it's 1x11). I may be stuck with a 23.5-24 lbs. bike with changes in wheels and brakes.
Specialized BG Fit Technician
2012 Specialized S Works Venge Project Black Dura Ace 9000 - 14.875 lbs.
2012 Spooky HavocStaff SRAM Red - 15.5 lbs.
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Pro Race Ultegra 6800 - 16 lbs.
2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5 - 24.5 lbs.

Colin

by Colin

Oh I didn't notice that you mentioned you changed the bar, I thought it still had the stock heavy bar. Giant does offer the carbon wheelset separately, if I remember correctly, it costs right around $2000. Light-Bicycles rims may be a cheaper alternative if you want carbon.
If you want to keep the shifters integrated with the brakes have a look at the new XTR brakes, they should shave quite a bit of weight as well.
If you're really intent on getting sub 23 you could get a Race Face Next SL crankset.

cerro

by cerro

devinci wrote:biggest saving would come from wheelset. Some handbuilt stanz rim on some decent hubs would save you a bunch I think. Brakes ain't light too.

+1 on that. Wheels with DT240 or Tune King/Kong hubs, Sapim CX-Ray and ZTR Crest or B.O.R XMD333 would be a nice upgrade.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Cheap win would be brake discs I think.....
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

jooo

by jooo

It's better $$ per gram to change out your current brake rotors than the brakes themselves. Maybe worth considering in the short term?

fastezzie

by fastezzie

Crest wheelset would knock off a good chunk. Or LB carbon on DT or similar hubs.
XX1 crank + ring, remove shifter, f derailleur, shorten chain. Fun for trail riding but perhaps not enough gear for racing. I did this conversion to my Anthem (29er). For me it covers 90% of my riding, I know you said you wanted to keep the double but the 1x10 is kinda nice.

0sparky0

by 0sparky0

I agree w fastezzie. Crests and the new raceface crank. I have the carbon 29er. Enve flat bar, giant carbon post, giant carbon stem, xt brakes, xx cassette, enve tubulars, xtr rear d, fizik tundra seat. The wheels are kinda weight weening, but I love them. 22lbs even w eggbeaters (the regular ones) and one plastic cage, Garmin mount, Sid rs fork, monarch shock.

With a 34 single and 11-36 its fine for all our flat stuff. Putting the rf double on for is so quick and easy, it's the best thing going. Crests with xt cassette add 1lb, and the stock wheels plus the front d stuff add additional 1lb. So without being impractical or changing bolts etc, you ought to be able to get there. Awesome bike. Congrats!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TheRookie

by TheRookie

If you are staying 2x then you could look at an 11-34 cassette as they are lighter.

Tune the brakes with lightweight pads and the lighter XTR retaining pin (if you can get one at the right price!)

Check the weight of the front mech, when I was still running one I used a Deore twin specific which at 124g was lighter than XT (go figure) at the time.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com