Dugast Tubulars

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

Which clincher rim did you go for in the end Privateer? We have been using the BOR XMD333 29er tubeless rim and we have been very pleased with it so far. I'm sorry the tubulars did not work - I guess they needed gluing and are better suited to 1-2hr flat out races rather than longer events.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

Privateer

by Privateer

I used ZTR Crests, on a DT240 rear and Extralite Lefty Front, after I eventually gave up on waiting for the Tune hubs I'd ordered.

No complaints so far- light, stiff and reliable.

I also got a set of FRM XMD333 pre-builts as a spare (once bitten...). They also seem pretty good, though I haven't put much time on them.

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the tubulars didn't work out. I really wanted them to. They'd probably be better on a wider rim and the Fast Birds are probably better than a clincher glued onto a tub carcass (which is essentially what FMB did for me), but I just can't see the advantrages outweighing the cost and lack of easy repairability.

No fault of the wheelbuilder though! I used the tub wheels on an urban crit-style MTB race with 25mm Dugast Roubaix. Despite a couple of sets of long steep stairs on each lap they held up fine.
Attachments
GP_geneve_small.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tetonrider

by tetonrider

old thread, but MTB tubulars really intrigue me. i've gotten a taste for artisanal tubulars and after racing a little cross i have no doubt that tubulars would have some amazing qualities particularly for off-camber stuff.

with another year gone by, what's the consensus on MTB tubulars? i like to run 2.25 racing ralphs, tubeless. i'm most interested in the dugast fast birds as they're available in 52.

Privateer wrote:I had FMB make me a pair of 29er tubs using Furious Fred treads. I don't remember the exact weight, but they were close to 600g each, in a 50mm width. I was unlucky- one punctured on my first ride. Not light, not puncture resistant, no grip, expensive, and no discernable improvement in ride quality over a tubeless set-up.

Don't get me wrong on FMB- their road and 'cross tubs are brilliant. The MTB ones just didn't work out for me. My very poor choice of tread didn't help.

man, i took one look at a set of furious freds and realized that tread would never stand up to any riding where i live (western US, rocky mountains), so i didn't even bother to try them. are the fast birds similar? i haven't seen them in person.

cerro

by cerro

Privateer: You should try with a real 29" tubular rim instead of those slim CXrims. But interesting thoughts about FMB mtbtires.

never used tape, helped one friend with it once but will never use it. So much easier to know what you're doing and how much you put on with glue.

Sitting and thinking of I should get FMB or Schwalbe tubulars for next year. Think Dugast has a bit to bad sidewalls and like FMB better on road and CX and Tufo is nothing funny, just hard. Good thing with Tufo is that they are reliable and light.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

cerro wrote:Sitting and thinking of I should get FMB or Schwalbe tubulars for next year. Think Dugast has a bit to bad sidewalls and like FMB better on road and CX and Tufo is nothing funny, just hard. Good thing with Tufo is that they are reliable and light.

FMB....for MTB use? what would you ride? i don't see anything suitable in the line-up.

cerro

by cerro

There you have them, seems like same thread as Challenge The One. Will ride them in Norway and hopefully some racing in Portugal.

tetonrider

by tetonrider

cerro wrote:
There you have them, seems like same thread as Challenge The One. Will ride them in Norway and hopefully some racing in Portugal.

thanks! i'd never seen those before. do you have any info on widths and weights? are the sidewalls treated in the same way as their CX tires?

is that the only tread pattern offered?

jooo

by jooo

@tetonrider - You know lots of the FMB XC tyres are custom made right?

tetonrider

by tetonrider

jooo wrote:@tetonrider - You know lots of the FMB XC tyres are custom made right?

yes--i just didn't realize they were making any MTB tires.