HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:16 pm 

Given a budget of £800 or 1300 Euro's or $1200. Which hardtail frame would a weight weenie go for?

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:22 pm 

well i guess i'm set on the Rocky Vertex SC then ...considering it is much more available around here then Ghost, Scott, or Extralite and probably more affordable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:46 pm 

What's the best price you've found Eurorider?I only called one shop and they said $1800.Let me know if you get a better price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:14 pm 

hey limba, there is one that appears to be brand new or hardly used (i can't make it out ...it's German) on ebay right now ...it's at $900 CAD with 1 bid and about 22 hours remaining ...i think it is an 19.5" ...only thing is it's in Germany but seller will ship worldwide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:43 pm 

I've never used Ebay and I wouldn't want to for a bike.I need a size 17.5.Thanks anyway.
If T.O. stores beat $1800 let me know.I'm in the Falls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:01 pm 

limba wrote:
I've never used Ebay and I wouldn't want to for a bike.I need a size 17.5.Thanks anyway.
If T.O. stores beat $1800 let me know.I'm in the Falls.

Do you just check shops in toronto ? I bet there are whole lot more rocky dealers throughout ontario. Isnt la bicicletta in the N. Falls ? do they deal with rocky ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:10 pm 

The only Rocky dealer i can remember is Duke's and mcbride.

Theres also bikezone in mississagua, and cycle solution in toronto but i dont think they carry Rocky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:20 pm 

I found a store that sells them for $1700.I'll keep looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:42 am 

Rocky is sold at Dukes, Pedlar and McBrides in Toronto ...but if you go to their website you can see all of their dealers in Ontario or any province ...Oakville, Mississauga and Burlington are just some of the other cities/towns that have dealers...

hey even if you are a lousy bargainer, you should be able to get one for around $1500 ...i would think that stores have a higher margin of profit for frames compared to complete bikes ...so be smart and talk them down!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:48 pm 

Duke's want $1800.I'm still waiting for other dealers prices.My lbs wants $1800 but they'll match any price I can find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:06 pm 

I am not sure if money matters from all the mails. But if you want to go for a Canadian bike check out the DeKerf Elysium. It´s a little pricy...

Post subject: scandium vs carbon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:49 pm 

personally it comes down to ride and preference

based purely on engineering factors
scandium is relatively new in the bike industry (its been used in aerospace and defence since the 70s though) and still has a lot to prove
treks oclv carbon has been around for 10 years nearly and has had time to show its benefits and flaws and to be honest they both exhibit similar problems and benefits.

nowadays though its becoming harder to ignore the newer breed of full suspension cross country bikes treks fuel 100 frame is a bit heavier
than a rigid frame but only a bit and as an ardent hardtail die hard i never even let a lightweight full suspension bike enter into the equation.

glad i did though now as it was one of the best decisions i ever made

if it was a rigid frame i was buying though the rocky would just edge out the trek based on sheer quality alone you only have to hold one to see what a piece of workmanship it is its quality

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:36 pm 

currently i just have a 2000 Fisher Paragon (aluminum hardtail) which is nothing special ...when i make the next big purchase i want to make the right decision ...i've never got to experience these exotic bikes before ...does a scandium frame ride like a steel bike? ...if so, that would be fairly comfortable and negate the need to have full susp. ...what are the real pros and cons of scandium vs. carbon? ...any mech. engineers around here?? ...then there's the lightweight full susp. XC route to take like Mike McDermid mentioned ...i'm also considering if this is the best approach to take since the added weight isn't really a big deal ...just the extra cost and mantenance ...(im 6'3" and 165 lbs in race trim)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:36 am 

You might also give Carl Strong a try. Check out the Strong Frames Pipestone Peak. For USD 1200 he will build you a custom steel bike that is really one piece of art! Check his site strongframes.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:54 pm 

well scandium based aluminium has been around for ages its one of those ever so abundant elements in the earths crust and makes really strong aluminium alloys for yep youve guessed it aerospace and defence and comes in many different grades
but its really one of the alloying elements in certain kinds of aluminium(labelled scandium) and really acts as a grain refiner it only really became weldable in the seventies when some clever soviet people figured it out and was used extensively in the soviet aerospace industry to make welded together airframes rather than riveted ones.

when it became weldable as with most metals that come out of the aero industry it became a saleable (not the case with most of the high tech alloys available to the aero sector)item ie the cost of fabricating a structure became possibility to lower tech industrys and the nice folks at easton stuck some r&d money probably hired some russian metallurgists to milk them of what they know and produced a nice sticker to put on some frameset which wer made from the wonder alloy(they made baseball bats first out of it though)

a scandium bike will ride like a more finely tuned aluminium bike all they have done is thin the walls (0.35)on the tubes just like the easton ultralite tubesets it will be stiff and due to the material properties should have a much longer fatigue life than plain old aluminium the problem is scandium is a bit more costly and is just a bit harder to weld ie not get it wrong(oh and you need a scandium filler rod rather than an aluminium rod)

carbon fibre on the other hand is a pig to work with plain simple unless you sort your production process from day one previously this was done again using old aero ideas and workers but gradually things have change the requirements to make a composite structure are incredibly complicated for an aerospace or formula one part but completely different
for a bicycle frame the same material carbon is used but remember there are a lot of different fibres and resin system before you even get round to design

on a whole treks production process is very very good considering it isnt a true monocoque structure i got a look at the patent not long a go and they have revised it on a number of occasions showing they are developing the process to suit bicycles and they have answered many of the problems which if ten years ago somebody said to you a part was carbon fibre you would have recoiled in horror the problems still remain only the technology understanding and limitations are reduce to acceptable levels

to be honest nothing rides like steel nothing rides like aluminium and nothing rides like titanium or carbon

If you were to ask my opinion as an engineer they are all good choices of materials and they all do different things well this is your choice as you are the end user and will be expecting different things from it than me i would pick carbon as my choice as on paper it has wonderful properties and abilities if its pulled off properly(ooh er)

all i can tell you now is i bought a fuel 100 its carbon its light and it looks nice

sure its not the be all and end all in suspension performance if i drop it wrong i might smash a tube and scrap it but to me its worth it

BTW end of war and peace sorry

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:54 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next