Lightweight tyre for Winter UK?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tippster

by Tippster

Can anyone recommend a lightweight tyre XC for Winter UK?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurorider

by eurorider

well i don't think winter in the U.K. is very similar to winter in Toronto but we just had our first snowfall which was about 10 cm ....my buddy just bought a pair of IRC Mythos XC tires (they are kevlar beaded) that weigh approx. 550 g and have a fairly significant amount of tread ...i was rather perplexed by how light they were given the tread ...well anyways, we went out riding through the snow covered neighbourhoods and parks and he had no problems whatsoever with those tires ...absolutely no snow buildup ...the snow would not even stick to the tires! ...while i was packed right up and correcting my oversteer and understeer he was just plowing right through it all like all wheel drive ... i would really recommend these tires, i tried them out myself ...they were developed for the riders of the Atlanta Summer Games (year?) so are not the most recent technology but as a result he got them for $22 CAD each which is about 10 pounds U.K. each ...

Tippster

by Tippster

Do you get commission?

I'm currently running Fire XC Pro's 2.1" at 580g a piece.

They are good tyres but was wondering if there is a tyre someone could recommend which is good in mud / wet roots etc and also light.

eurorider

by eurorider

Tippster wrote:Do you get commission?

I'm currently running Fire XC Pro's 2.1" at 580g a piece.

They are good tyres but was wondering if there is a tyre someone could recommend which is good in mud / wet roots etc and also light.

lol, no i don't get commission ...i don't even really like IRC tires ...actually the exact tires that you currently have were also at the shop (Fire XC Pro 2.1 at 580g each) ...they had a similar amount of tread but were about 30g heavier and exactly twice the price of what the Mythos were selling for ...so the choice for him was fairly obvious

but judging by his performance with the Mythos in the snow i would say they would be just as impressive in the wet/muddy conditions ...there are large gaps on the tread to avoid any snow/mud getting packed in as well the compound is fairly soft so that helps in the snow as well as traction on slippery wet roots ....as the Fire XC Pro 2.1 seem so similar to the Mythos XC, i would say that you would be absolutely fine with the tires that you have ...but if you're looking to shed some grams, i'd consider maybe a Conti Explorer Pro which is about 515g ...then there's always the Supersonic version that is about 100g lighter with an even stickier compound ....the tradeoff is it wears out faster ....colder temperatures help to minimize this though ...good luck!

masterskier

by masterskier

Im currently using Mythos front / Kenda Karisma rear (turned backwards for more grip) It is really good for snow. The rear myhtos tire is heavy at 580 grams. Also you should consider Kenda Karma Stick-E tires front and rear. I have had a lot of tires, so just ask for any other suggestions.

eurorider

by eurorider

well i guess that's good that he bought two mythos front then because they had no rears in stock ...anyways they are mad in the snow

Tippster

by Tippster

Not sure where you guys are from but I expect less than 2 weeks of snow in the UK every year.

By Winter UK tyres, I'm thinking rain + mud + wet roots + wet rocks

For those conditions - The lightest tyre - regardless of cost (less than £50 each) - that will cope with rain + mud + wet roots + wet rocks

eurorider

by eurorider

well i think your top choice is going to be a conti explorer supersonic but there may be something better that someone else knows about...

masterskier

by masterskier

For mud, one of the best is a Hutchinson Mosquito 1.8 rear tire, and a Hutchinson Mosquito 2.0 front tire. Then the back is light, and the front has good cornering. If you weigh under 170 pounds then get the Airlight version if not, get the Gold version.

nikh

by nikh

Have you considered the Nokian NBX Lite?

http://www.mbuk.com/kittestdetails.asp?id=237
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Posting this, would mean you have them, and are feeling good with em.

I prefer my good ol' Tioga Psycho's though 8) . Theire just so nice, and roll pretty light.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!