XTR brake shift/brake with magura

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spytech

by spytech

would the shimano m965 brake/shifter work with the magura disc brakes hydraulic?

i just want to use the new shimano shifter/brake with my existing magura disc brakes, is it possible?

Tippster

by Tippster

Before buying them, I would recommend trying them out. My friend has nick named them "floppy fire" shifeters. They have also had a lot of bad reviews.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

masterskier

by masterskier

possible, but the different systems require different fluid (blood vs. min. oil) I wouldnt reccomend the setup, but i would reccomend the new XTR. I have ridden with it since prototype versions, and after the learning curve the new levers are the BEST and MOST NATURAL way to shift!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ok, lets just say that the new levers aren't the most natural way to shift. In the last German bike mag. was a complete article about the competing shifting systems. There were: the Sram triggers, Sram Gripshifts, Suntour ICE, Shimano Rapidfire and Shimano Dual control. And the Duals came out the worst! :?. Pressing the leve down is a natural move, but lifting the lever up isn't. So therefore the muscles in (extensors) To lift your fingers. Aren't made for that movement. thats why almost everybody is using the smal thumblever. The rapidfire didn't came any good out of the test either, because the movement was hard to learn. (thats true, i often give mountainbike lessons for a outdoor company in Belgium. And we use rental bikes over there. Those bikes are equipped with a complete Deore group. Wich is good. But you've got to see those poor people shifting. It's a complete mess! Even after a good explaination and a test ride!)

Sram was doing a good job in the test. The only thing at their systems was: the poor braking and shifing when done at the same time when using gripshift. And the Trigger didn't get any bad comments! :D

I don't say wich system is good or bad, but just don't go running afer the latest, so called, invention. Look at it in the most logic way. How are you giong to shift.

Good luck!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

spytech

by spytech

i personally prefer the sram gripshift. but my friend has maguras and they run mineral oil just like the shimano xtr. i was just wondering if he can replace the magura brake levers and use the xtr shifter/brake levers?

masterskier

by masterskier

definitely not a good idea! I talked to my team mechanic the other day and he told me it wasnt good at all to do that. Hope that helps you.

Knut

by Knut

Frankie,

It's hard to do a test of shift systems that different and be totally objective - and for some its even close to religion. :wink:

Personally I've only ridden Rapidfire+, Gripshift and XTR Dual Control and while I like Gripshift for the rear derailleur it's still not close to be my favorite. In fact I had a much harder time learning to use Gripshift than Dual Control which for me is as close to intuitive as possible.

Just to highlight the subjectivity of these tests I would like to point out that in the latest issue of MBA the test winner is Rapidfire+... and SRAM Rocket / Attack shifter came out the worst... :D

IMHO the only way to find out if this works for you is to use it on a ride or two - no magazine tests will be able to tell you if Gripshift, Rapidfire+, Dual Control or Impulse is the mutts nuts!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com