Crank Bolts for Race Face Signature Splined Bottom Bracket

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cired1

by cired1

I have read that this bottom bracket uses the M12 thread crank bolts. The stock ones that come with the bottom bracket are pretty heavy. I have been wanting to replace them with something lighter but havent been able to find any. SRP doesnt make a M12 crank bolt.

Mabey I am totally wrong. Anyone have any luck replacing these with Ti or aluminum.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JK

by JK

I have had a signature BB for ehh... one month. It turned out to be that the first production series had some faults. Mine had play from the beginning and after some 100 miles of riding it made horrible noises and jammed. On the non-drive side the bearings fell out and a lot of goo too, proving that the seals were not all that good...
I know that is not what you are asking for, but watch out! If you cannot install yours without play, send it back!

As for the bolts: FSA makes them. They came with my FSA crankset. Take care though: Tighten your cranks with the steel bolts all the way to the ISIS stop. If you cannot reach it, take the crank off, turn it 45 degrees and try again. Keep repeating this, until it reaches the stop. You run a great chance of destroying your alu bolts when doing this (I did...), which is why it makes sense to use the steel ones. Replace the steel bolts with alu ones once you have pulled the crank all the way up the spline.

JK

cired1

by cired1

Thanks for the reply JK. I have had the bottom bracket for about 500 miles now with no trouble. I also heard they had some problems with their first generation BB's and it was in the bearing cups.