STIFF alloy 29ER RIM for 65kg rider + can handle 60PSI?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

durianrider

by durianrider

I want something that can handle 60psi for riding the to trails. Alloy 29er and easy to run tubeless.

The ZTR 29er's are apparently flexy as. Stan's Arch 29er a better option?

FRM 333 don't advise going over 40psi

What are peoples fav functional 29er rime.

Cheers.
Last edited by durianrider on Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

salsafargo

by salsafargo

Frm xmd333 888 strong very light and sexy ive tried hard with mine i carnt brake em just fast xc tho :lol:

Asymptotic

by Asymptotic

Stans Podium followed by the FRM388 and Crest are the lightest alloy rims. Note: I don't have any links of pics, but have heard that the FRM actual weight is closer to 350g - as opposed to the 333g claimed.

Stans are also quite clear to state the the Podium is not meant to be anything other than a race rim with a short life span - ring them if you don't believe me :D

I use the Crest only because I cannot source the FRM's in Oz.
Norwood & Adelaide Uni CC

nspace

by nspace

I would vote Crest, except if you are running tubeless, they don't recommend over 40 psi on their rims on any decent size MTB tire.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

I don't find crests to be too flexy for rough xc use.

60psi is a ton though!

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

I have no experience of these yet, but both might be worth of testing:

e.thirteen TRS+
WTB Frequency i19

nspace

by nspace

Yeah I agree. 40 psi will get you to the trail just fine. Then you can drop them to the low 20s and enjoy the smooth ride.

Gal

by Gal

the FRM 333 to narrow, like a road rim

salsafargo

by salsafargo

The narrow frm,s give a lovely rounded profile to the tyre and not road rim thin ? It makes them very fast! Why have a fast wheel and use it for trials? Also the urano team wheel set with the xmd333 will take 3.5bar! Ive seen bent stans, crests etc no psi and too shallow side wall not for me at all ive only converted about 6 chaps si far lol its my mission all the pics of mine up close are on ebay on the salsa fargo ti 29er full bike under 17lb :thumbup:

Gal

by Gal

Racers are obsessed with 29ers and we’ve unleashed the world’s fastest, most advanced 29er cross-country race wheels. Bill Shook designed this breakthrough tubeless race wheel system emphasizing strength, durability and stiffness in a concept Bill calls, “multiplying lightness.” The 29” rim is a whopping 28mm wide x 22mm
deep and only 340 grams. Ride smaller, lighter tires because they spread out across the wide rim without sacrificing traction and handling. The tire does not float around on our wide rim. Bead barb
technology hooks on the tire bead to secure the tires in place without burping. New lighter 14/16 AC Race Round spokes were specially engineered for this hand built wheel system. Dominating at
the races this season, our testers prized their speed, quick accelerations, decisive cornering, nimble climbing, speedy descents, and low maintenance. When seconds count in the relentless pursuit to win, our MTB Race 29 Tubeless wheels deliver the ultimate technological advantage.

salsafargo

by salsafargo

America classic err ow dear someones got to believe the hype and buy them lol the hubs are good but the spoked are like solder wire and rims plastercine 8) but if your on a tight budget then you will not find lighter from a factory wheel just dont go all mountain on them stick to the xc thay intended!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I'm a big fan of the Crest. They build up pretty rigid and are easy to setup tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

durianrider

by durianrider

I should add I wan't clincher, am 65kg and enjoy durability as well.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600