carbon post in carbon frame

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stout_ster101

by stout_ster101

ok so i have my new raceface post for my top fuel 110, the other mechanic at the shop i work at says i cant put carbon in with carbon cuz it can bond together, its he talking jibberish or is this true, btw the raceface post weighs 216 grams and LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!
At least your bike doesn't get mad at you when you ride another, unlike a girl...

Dave

by Dave

He's talking major gibberish....I have an Easton EC70 carbon seatpost in my Scott Strike Limited Carbon frame and it doesn't stick at all.

Carbon does not bond to carbon, it has a natural lubricity to it, they don't call it graphite dry lube for nothing!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brian

by brian

stout_ster101 wrote:ok so i have my new raceface post for my top fuel 110, the other mechanic at the shop i work at says i cant put carbon in with carbon cuz it can bond together, its he talking jibberish or is this true, btw the raceface post weighs 216 grams and LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!

Trek carbon bikes come with carbon seatposts from the factory!

the Repeater

by the Repeater

DON'T LUBE IT!!!!

A buddy lubed a carbon/carbon setup in a MTB when he used to work at a shop. Some of the lubes have solvents that will take clearcoat off, making a bare carbon interface, which is impossible to separate in enough cases.

Yuck.

SamG

by SamG

With carbon on carbon the is a natural inclination to slide. I have a slippery carbon pin in a Colnago C50 (road bike). Any sudden vertical impact and the pin descends by a couple of mm.

Make sure that both seatpin and seat-tube sleeve are clean and dry as possible. Use something similar to nail-polish remover (I used exactly that) to clean both surfaces, and then do the seat collar up as tight as the carbon manufacturer allows.

Alternatively look at aluminium/ ti products by Thompson or USE. Titanium, unlike carbon, will bond pretty well with most materials.

nexusheli

by nexusheli

Use something similar to nail-polish remover (I used exactly that) to clean both surfaces

That's a good way to destroy the clear-coat and quite possibly the epoxy. You must have gotten lucky and had nail-polish remover that wasn't made with Acetone.

If you need to clean the carbon, use a plain old damp rag, or at most some rubbing alcohol.

topcarbon

by topcarbon

Do not use any solvents to clean the surface of carbon and then stick them in a tight fitting hole. clean the surfaces with water. Thats it. WATER! Let dry, and then put the post in. Clamp the seat collar to the proper torque and that is it. Too tight, ruin the post, too loose, seat go down.

Carbon with carbon is fine. I have a Scott Scale Limited from the factory and a Top carbon Fondriest with a Selcof carbon post. No bonding, no slippage, no nada.

You have to remember to clean the post (take it out) every couple of rides and wipe it down. THAT'S IT. SIMPLE.
Attachments
bike 006.jpg

SamG

by SamG

Good call gents; water is probably the safest cleaning agent in this situation.
My seatpost has a course finish towards the base where it slots into the frame. It seems unaffected as yet by the acetone cleaning.

Fingers crossed that this doesn't happen:

Or catastrophically worse.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com