Light XC racing alu hardtail frame, which one?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vili

by vili

I would like some guidance to pick a high-end XC racing hardtail (aluminium). Frame only. I aim for sub 1500 grams. Its gonna be setup with a Fox F80X fork and disks.
My weight (w/o the gear) is 77.5 kg, height 179 cm; legs (inseam) 85 cm.

If anybody know the frames below, I would greatly appreciate comments to 1) Geometry for racing and 2) which size to pick.
Any other suggestions are ofcourse welcome.

I have been looking at these models:

* Principia MSL Pro
(* Rivette H6, not really on the market yet)
* Scott Scale 40
* Storck Rebel Race
* Specialized S-works M5
* Schmolke 7005 HT

Thanks.

DominicanBoy

by DominicanBoy

Go for the S-Works Epic non disc. You can build it to be a MONSTER light bike. Dual Suspension Climbs Better Anyways..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

King Weel

by King Weel

:welcome:

Back to topic, I have a 17" Specialized M5 (120 mm stem) and really appreciate it. Fast - sturdy - ride with a very agile and light but stiff frame at a fairly reasonable price (check ebay for prices ranging USD 500-800.

Btw, I am 175 mm, at 84 cm inseam and it fits perfect. An 18" ( or 19" depends on length and flexibility of upper body) will do for you.

Regards
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

DominicanBoy

by DominicanBoy

Too Bad you don't have and S-Works they kick rectum.

Greyhound

by Greyhound

I own a scale 60 and think it is a lovely bike. I have the same height and find Large fits perfectly.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Dominicanboy.........sounds like you like to ROCK rectum!!!!

TiMoots

by TiMoots

Kona Kula Primo:
http://www.konaworld.com/Prod/000000194 ... ame-xl.jpg

It is a good frame at a decent price ($600). I think that weight is around 1.400 gr.

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

DominicanBoy wrote:Go for the S-Works Epic non disc. You can build it to be a MONSTER light bike. Dual Suspension Climbs Better Anyways..

WTF ?

Tippster

by Tippster

DominicanBoy wrote:Go for the S-Works Epic non disc. You can build it to be a MONSTER light bike. Dual Suspension Climbs Better Anyways..

The thread specifies HT!!!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

vili

by vili

Yes, I have devoted myself to the hardtails.
I dont know much about Kona, but my prejudice says that it is not high-end like M5 or Principia. But I could easily be mistaken.
The Storck got a good review in a German test (a lot of german bikes do though), price is around 900 eur, so more or less same price as a M5. But not as well-known or proven. The same could be said about the Schmolke I guess.
Are there any good Scott alu frames or they too heavy?

Any comments on the Principia?

Thanx for the comments.

Tippster

by Tippster

vili wrote:I would like some guidance to pick a high-end XC racing hardtail (aluminium). Frame only. I aim for sub 1500 grams. Its gonna be setup with a Fox F80X fork and disks.
My weight (w/o the gear) is 77.5 kg, height 179 cm; legs (inseam) 85 cm.

If anybody know the frames below, I would greatly appreciate comments to 1) Geometry for racing and 2) which size to pick.
Any other suggestions are ofcourse welcome.

I have been looking at these models:

* Principia MSL Pro
(* Rivette H6, not really on the market yet)
* Scott Scale 40
* Storck Rebel Race
* Specialized S-works M5
* Schmolke 7005 HT

Thanks.

Has it got to be Aluminium? Scott produced a Scandium HT frame "Team Issue". Quickest way to have a look is to check out Nino's bike in the Articles section... 1150 to 1200g.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=62

The rolls royce of HT Alu has got to be the Pace RC300 F1
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/articles.php?ID=76
The pace isn't the lightest, but is well engineered and unique square tubing and a carbon fibre seat tube...

Just thought those would add to your list of frames to consider. I've got a 2004 Spec M5 HT in annodised Silver. 18 months later it still looks great when cleaned up. I've only ever ran it with Pace RC31 Carbon rigid forks so the overall bike has been light and responsive. Takes a battering out of your shoulders on long technical downhill sections though...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

20_bandh

by 20_bandh

I have exactly the same height, weight and inseem as you (179 cm, 77kg and 85cm) . I find that an 18" frame with a long post fits me perfectly. My HT has an effective top tube of 23,5" and a 100mm stem.
I used to have a YETI ARC but got back problems because it didn´t fit me, but I feel that the geometry that I have now is spot on.
Why are you going for Aluminium? Titanium is in my opinion the best frame building material out there. My 18" custom frame weighs less than 1300g.

DominicanBoy

by DominicanBoy

HT huh? okey then

Go for the Kula or the Trek 9.8 i have owned both and they KICK RECTUM as well . :twisted:

vili

by vili

It doesnt have to be alu, other alloys will do, I just want to avoid carbon, I am nervous that it is too fragile (and still

too pricey). And I need disks. Titanium would be very sweet but I dont want to spent that amount of money on the frame.

I am getting a bit hooked on the M5 (black color).I plan on using it with a straight carbon post instead of the Thomson setback post. Flat handlebar and 80 mm fork. I am concerned that the 18" gets to big. My present MTB has a total reach of 69 cm and my roadracer 67 cm (horizontically handlebar-seatpost c-c). The 18" has a toptube of 60 cm and the 17" 58.5 cm, with a 10 cm stem total reach becomes around 68 and 70 cm, respectively. So the 18" would get longer than any of my bikes. In this line of thinking a 17" would be best.
Am I missing something in this?

On the other hand, arent there any fast and light bikes by one of the smaller manufacturors? They might not have the name and renommé and might be harder to sell again but if they are great rides it could be worth the investment.

Thanx.

mattpage

by mattpage

There are some companies here in the UK offereing semi-custom Ti frames.

Setavento offer one for £550 www.setavento.co.uk
the other is pipedream cycles that is slightly more expensive, but the welding looks better.

Might be worth a look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com