* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: CaffeLatex UST Sealant?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 am 
Shop Owner

I read about the Caffe Latex UST Tire Sealant. Anyone have experience with it? It looks really cool and actually probably works better than Stan's. Especially if you are trying to use a NON-UST tire on a UST rim. I would love to hear about any experiences out there. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:13 am 

I don't have personal experience, but there was a guy on MTBR that had a small puncture and it just squirted out and did not seal. He got home and experimented and found it didn't work that well and went back to Stan's. YMMV

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:13 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:12 am 
Shop Owner

Huh. I wonder if there was a reason why it didn't seal. I know that Slime has issues at times based on things. I would love to know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm 

It's not very strong, in fact I'd say it SUCKS.

Had bought a nice big bottle of it to set up 2 brand new sets of wheels, DT 4.2 and Reynolds MTN C's, the Caffelatex stuff wouldn;t seal either one, just watery pppfffft diarreah ! Brought wheels to pros, tried to do it twice more with the caffelatex, and still nada. We eventually resorted to old-fashioned Stan's - it sealed them both up the first time, wheels are still good to go.

caffelatex make a nice injector, but the sealant is lightweight garbage. too bad, cause I did lik,e to sound of their ads and a non-amonia sealant sounded good to me, but it just doesn;t do anything.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm 

I've tried different types, No-flats (joe's), No tubes (stans), and Caffelatex.
WHat really surprises me is that difficult to seal tires, like the raceking 2,2 Supersonic is easily sealed up with caffelatex and much more difficult with joe's or stans...
But when it comes to sealing holes/punctures the other 2 are probably way better...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:47 pm 

I already gave some reviews on CL on mtbr.com. I've already used it quite a bit.

My bottom line: Don't use it!

- it's messy to deal with (the slightest shake an it turns to foam. Even dosing it was tricky)
- it clogs the valves
- sealing power is mediocre when compared to Stan's. It's simply to thin.
- I thought i would help with initial sealing of sidewalls but it was not better than others. Maybe due to its general weak sealing power.

I also have tried most sealants out there but in my opinion nothing beats Stan's. I always went back.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:10 pm 
in the industry

gitsome wrote:
It's not very strong, in fact I'd say it SUCKS.
Had bought a nice big bottle of it to set up 2 brand new sets of wheels, DT 4.2 and Reynolds MTN C's, the Caffelatex stuff wouldn;t seal either one, just watery pppfffft diarreah ! Brought wheels to pros, tried to do it twice more with the caffelatex, and still nada. We eventually resorted to old-fashioned Stan's - it sealed them both up the first time, wheels are still good to go.
(..) the sealant is lightweight garbage. too bad, cause I did lik,e to sound of their ads and a non-amonia sealant sounded good to me, but it just doesn;t do anything.

Hello, this is Effetto Mariposa, I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with our sealant. Honestly, this is not the feedback we normally get from Caffélatex users, and we'd like to better understand what went wrong.
Just to make sure I got it right, you couldn't seal the tyres (so you didn't use Caffélatex on the field)... or were you disappointed by Caffèlatex puncture-repairing performance?
Where/when did you purchase the bottle? What is the colour of the sealant? (That would allow us to trace back the production batch).
Thanks in advance for the further details!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 am 

Hi Caffelatex,

Sorry if my post sounded harsh, I apologize for the tone, now that you respond I feel guilty! :)

But what I wrote is true:

I had purchased a BRAND NEW set of Reynolds MTN C wheels and a NEW set of Conti Rubber Queen UST tires to mount onto them this summer (2009).

I also bought a big bottle of Caffelatex sealant and a setup kit (both from your website/Cantitoe road) including rim tape, injector, etc.. - I am happy to give you my name etc if you would like to trace it back, please PM me.

I brought the whole kit-and-kaboodle to my trusted bike shop to assemble, and after repeated attempts over the course of a week (at least 5 tries on the day I was there) the the tires/wheels just would not seal at all, each time they would pump up a bit and then fizzle with a liquidy pppphhht and the sealant would spill out. It also got under the rim tape, ruining the adhesive seal - despite the carbon rims having been cleaned obsessively be me with songes, soap, water and even acetone to clean the carbon rims of any dust/dirt before mounting the rim tape (as per Reynolds recs)

Only once we were able to get the wheels/tires to hold a seal and maintain pressure - for about 8 hours or so- but by the next morning they were deflated again.

I never got to ride them with your sealant.

Eventually we gave up on caffelatex and went with Stan's tape and sealant, it worked on the first try, I rode the wheels throughout the fall and they ARE STILL inflated, at full pressure!!

My LBS seemed to suggest that they liked your product for sealing punctures on the trail but felt it was inadequate (thin and liquidy) for the initial seal/UST setup. Another problem here is that you specifically warn against mixing sealants! So if the Stan;s works initially to seal the UST - then according to your own advice I will have to use IT and NOT Caffelatex as a sealant/puncture repair from then on!

I am happy to provide you with more and personal info if it helps, I am a believer that your products are on the right track and they can be improved and even perfected. I really did like the ammonia-free aspect to your sealant, thats why I bought it, and I use your torque-wrench and carbon-spray all the time, and they both work very well! I would be glad to help with some input.

thanks

I have a large bottle of Caffelatex sealant still sitting in my closet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:47 am 

PS the sealant was a slightly cream-colored, off-white color, it looks delicous....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:22 am 

PPS

At the same time we tried to also do a set of DT Swiss 4.2 rims with new Conti Rubber Queens (2.4/2.2 front/rear, a setup btw) and the Caffe didn't work for those either, repeated attempts too, Stan's worked right away....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 pm 
in the industry

gitsome wrote:
Hi Caffelatex,
Sorry if my post sounded harsh, I apologize for the tone, now that you respond I feel guilty! :) (..)
No problem at all, we know how frustrating it is when things don't work as they should... but, again, we're here to help. We've already successfully converted Reynolds MTN-C to tubeless using tubeless and tube-type tyres, I have a couple of tips that might make things easier... and a theory on why it didn't work out in your case. Let's discuss on pm and, hopefully, post the summary when we solve it :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 am 

[/quote]No problem at all, we know how frustrating it is when things don't work as they should... but, again, we're here to help. We've already successfully converted Reynolds MTN-C to tubeless using tubeless and tube-type tyres, I have a couple of tips that might make things easier... and a theory on why it didn't work out in your case. Let's discuss on pm and, hopefully, post the summary when we solve it :wink:[/quote]

Hi everybody,
Well I would also like to hear this theory....I'm very curious why Caffe Latex doesn't work for me either!!!Could you please explain why another sealant does work with my setup (I won't give names,I'm not on anyone's payroll) while Caffe Latex doesn't?After two days of trying to seal my Race King Supersonics with CL I've decided to give up and went back to my previous sealant which did the job in less than 15 minutes.I've been riding tubeless setups for more than 2 years now and all this time I've been using the same sealant.The only reason why I decided to give CL a try is because of it's advertised ability to deal better with sidewall holes (no need to lean the bike to get the sealant to the hole you wish to seal).Please note that my problem isn't the rim/tire interface (I almost have no leaks even without sealant) but the small pores in the sidewall that won't seal with CL but WILL seal instantly with another sealant.CL just keeps bubbling out through those holes without any intention of creating a seal.And yes,It's really messy once it has all poured on the floor!!! I've tried everything....high pressures,low pressures ,CL will keep pouring out of the tire at any pressure above 1 BAR.
For 3 days now I'm riding with 2.5 Bar in both wheels without any noticeable pressure drop but sadly it's not Caffe Latex that made this possible!!!I'm now the "happy" owner of 1L of CaffeLatex that will never be used again!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:11 pm 

i use it in my tubolar 29er and 26" tyres

:beerchug:

how can i say ? it works . :thumbup: no issues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:12 pm 

gitsome wrote:
PS the sealant was a slightly cream-colored, off-white color, it looks delicous....

cappuccino :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:05 am 

Couldn't get Rocket Rons sealed with Stan's, worker the frist time with CaffeLatex - great stuff.

Chris.

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:05 am