Kappius Components New Hub on Kickstarter

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

I love the Kappius hubs I have on both my mountain bikes (see link in my signature), but I'll readily admit that I had a hard time getting over the cost and the proprietary cassette setup when I was first shopping for hubs. In the end I thought the engagement mechanism was just so well done that I jumped in anyway (240 points of engagement, and the pawls are magnetically sprung using rare-earth magnets embedded in them). But it seems they now have a new rear hub (called KH2) that retains the engagement mechanism and speed of the original design, but fits it into a hub with a standard cassette carrier (either standard shimano, or XX1), and at a cheaper cost. Its not uber-weightweenie at 320g, but still a bit lighter than a Chris King or Project 321, and I think the engagement speed is well worth the weight penalty compared to a Tune or DT. Anyway, they're trying to fund the production of the hub via Kickstarter, and since I like small companies that are trying to make bikes better, and since I love my hubs... I'm hoping they'll succeed and so I thought I'd mention it here in case people are interested in getting hubs or wheels and helping them out.

by Weenie