Clavicula DP and Octaramp Gara?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ole

by Ole

Has anyone testet the new OctaRamp Gara from Extralite on the Clavicula DP 73mm? I'm tempted, but since the Gara mounts on the middle ring position, I'm worried that the chainrings will sit too far left. Any thoughts?

I'm currently running a E-Bones W, and I'd love to knock off 80g from my crank set for next year...

Ole.

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

Ole, I'm about to build a GARA on my SPZ S-WORKS CRANKSET, the one that come in the 2009 epic.

I don't see why would It sit too far left, that's the ideia, using 2x9 with only middle and inner position. It'll be mounted in the same place on every crankset, not a problem for clavicula or any other.

I saw on a post, some people modifying the CLAV to work with some chainrings, I just don't remember what was the deal, but had something to do with the middle ring.
MY YOUTUBE Channel - Helmet Cams, Notubes Working, XC Riding in Brazil.
My 9.050g Epic S-Works with custom paintjob & my CX bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njee20

by njee20

But the DP is a dedicated 2x9 crank, so the rings are already effectively in the middle/inner positions, I suspect you'd have problems with clearance between chainring and stay.

Why bother with the Gara on the S-Works crank though? I just run a 28/40 on the granny/middle positions, seems to me to solve a problem that doesn't really exist!

Tiffster

by Tiffster

Lighter weight i suspect. Gara has only 1 set of bolts.

nopainnogain

by nopainnogain

depending on what i read here:http://www.forum.light-bikes.de/showthread.php?t=9348 i would not buy one... they say it simply shifts terrible... they are working on it...
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." (DH Lawrence)
"Pain tells u, that u're still alive!"

Ole

by Ole

I already have a few rides on the Gara, it shifts just fine, like regular OctaRamp, no problems whatsoever.

I see that Clavicula MTB and MTB DP 73mm both have a chainline of 50mm, but Q-factor is 170mm and 168mm. I'm concerned that the chainline on the DP is measured right between the two chainrings, whereas it is measured on the middle ring on the regular version.

Ole

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

njee20 wrote:But the DP is a dedicated 2x9 crank, so the rings are already effectively in the middle/inner positions, I suspect you'd have problems with clearance between chainring and stay.

Why bother with the Gara on the S-Works crank though? I just run a 28/40 on the granny/middle positions, seems to me to solve a problem that doesn't really exist!

But the GARA is fixed in the middle, not in the outter and projects itself to the middle, so I think that'll be no problem fixing it in the middle. Am I right? :noidea:

And I'm using the s-works crank with specialites TA on middle&inner(42-26) with the triple spider, It works just fine and I'm going to use 42-28 for marathon races and XCO that aren't too steep.

Specialites TA middle&inner with triple spider is lighter than double spider and stock SPZ RINGS and GARA is lighter than specialites TA.

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

Here's It, with a new 42T ring.

nopainnogain

by nopainnogain

just my setup ;) but the black chinouk would have looked better ;)
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." (DH Lawrence)
"Pain tells u, that u're still alive!"

njee20

by njee20

Agree the black rings would look better!

Don't like the big jump in those rings either, I'm sure you're going to say it shifts perfectly, but I can't imagine that works too well! I just run TA 40/28 on the triple spider, couldn't be bothered to get the double spider in the end, it doesn't really achieve anything!

Ole

by Ole

GuNKiLLaH wrote:But the GARA is fixed in the middle, not in the outter and projects itself to the middle, so I think that'll be no problem fixing it in the middle. Am I right? :noidea:

The Gara is mounted in the middle, yes, but it also has a chainring that is mounted on the inside, and that will maybe end up too close to the frame.

Ole.

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

njee20 wrote:Agree the black rings would look better!

Don't like the big jump in those rings either, I'm sure you're going to say it shifts perfectly, but I can't imagine that works too well! I just run TA 40/28 on the triple spider, couldn't be bothered to get the double spider in the end, it doesn't really achieve anything!

The double is five holes, no way I'm going back to 5 holes, thas 90's stuff :mrgreen:

GuNKiLLaH
Shop Owner

by GuNKiLLaH

Ole wrote:The Gara is mounted in the middle, yes, but it also has a chainring that is mounted on the inside, and that will maybe end up too close to the frame.

Ole.

Sorry Ole, but I think that I didn't get it.

What's the diffence between using SPECIALITES TA in the MIDDLE and INNER position VERSUS GARA in the middle position??? The rings SHOULD stay in the same position, or there's an error in the GARA project, which I think that isn't true.

cerro

by cerro

Not the Octaramp Gara that is the problem. It's the Clavicula dp that have a better chainline for the middle and outer position as the inner doesn't exist on that crankset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njee20

by njee20

Yes, as everyone's saying, the DP doesn't have an inner ring position, the 'middle' ring is already in the inner ring position, so if you put a Gara on there, you need another position further inboard, which doesn't exist without a very good chance of fouling the stays.