48t SS ring with 104mm BCD

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Does anyone know of a 48t SS ring with 104mm BCD?

Unless something without pins and ramps exists, I might have to resort to something like this, with a chainguard.
http://www.specialites-ta.com/plateau-chinook.html

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Shimano do a Saint 46T (In fact mine is for sale), SS specific though not exactly weight weenie (it is Saint!)
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Shimano XT trekking version chainring

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Sweet, cheers maniack. Shimano should be a safe bet.

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

Blackspire has a 48t "downhill" ring that should work for you. No idea what the weight is though...

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

We can do one :wink:

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Stephen - have you thought of trying to make a 'fat tooth thin tooth' chainwheel for 10 speed to see if a 1x10 can run chainguide less like the SRAM XXI?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Cheers everyone.
Stephen, as this is a beater bike, I think trusty Shimano or DH gear would be a better match. Blackspire is looking very sweet and going up to 50t, should be perfect to swap in for road rides on the 1x10 CX beater.

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

@The Rookie - I'm not convinced by that chainring yet. As far as I can tell, riders are still using chainguards with it. I imagine that it's possible for us to make one like that, but why bother? A single ring chainring is pretty reliable anyway if set up right and for the sake of a couple of chainguides, which you'll most likely use as a 'comfort blanket' anyway, you might as well stick with standard chainrings. Of course the downside with the XX1 chainring is that you have to run an even number of teeth on the chainring and have a chain to match exactly. So no 33,35,37,39,41,43 etc. etc.

@wassertreter - don't right us off that easily. The cheaper chainrings are a better option if you're on a budget, but I ride my bikes in all weathers, they're really beater bikes and the chainrings perform flawlessly (in my humble bias opinion :D )

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Stephen, I'm sure your chainrings are fabulous, but putting them on an "ebay build" bike dedicated to utility- and mud riding would open a new chapter in my book of already hard to justify bike spendings.

That's not to say I'd not be lusting for a CF ring to run spiderless with an FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

That's fine. They're not the first thought when looking for a chainring for a cheap bike, but some alloy chainrings are getting so expensive, ours are becoming far more reasonably priced (and they look better!) :D

I definitely like the idea of a 1x10 or 1x11 myself, just need to decide on the right build!