XTR M9000 rear derailleur tuning

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I've just got my new XTR rear derailleur in the mail, and I've noticed that some of the bolts seems to be mad out of steel. Does anyone know if this is correct or not? Not that it really matters (reliability or weight wise), but this is the weight weenie forum, so I just thought I'd ask, to see if anyone could confirm/disconfirm this.

I edited the title, because I want to know about all possible weight saving options on the derailleur;)
Last edited by HaakonJohansen on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I noticed the limit screws on RD-M9000 are now allen hex type and steel I think.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Thanks for the answer. If upgrading the pulley bolts, can i get away using alu bolts, or should i get Ti?

CGT

by CGT

Alu is fine, though I prefer titanium.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Do you guys know the weight of the standard pulley wheels? Haven't got my torque wrench with me right now, and don't want to start taking things apart before I've checked the torque settings.

DanW

by DanW

Dude stop worrying about every small detail :D

Shimano stuff is robust and the torque needed to tighten the jockey bolts is so little (2.5-5 Nm so make them just tight and don't crank on the allen key) just flippin' get on with it!

Just pull it apart and browse somehwere like R2 bike for comparison weights. There should be ~30g in the jockey wheels (Aerozine on ebay are super light, cheap and last well), alu bolts all over (eg Toronto Cycles) and Fibre Lyte outer cage.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I'm going to use the derailleur with a X0-cassette btw. Will I get much better shifting and/or reliability if I use a Goatlink11 or a RAD cage?

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Anyone knows if this will improve gearing radically? Or am I better off saving some bucks, keeping the standard setup?

DanW

by DanW

I've never come across anyone using either, nor ever describe the need for such a product therefore I wouldn't bother ;)

scant

by scant

HaakonJohansen wrote:I'm going to use the derailleur with a X0-cassette btw. Will I get much better shifting and/or reliability if I use a Goatlink11 or a RAD cage?

The one up rad cage was first designed to work with the larger "extender" 40, or 42T cassette cogs that fit behind conventional cassettes, so that people using 10 speed, could get closer to the gear range of sram 10-42T cassette. the stock shimano derailleur arm only worked well up to 36T. for its intended purpose yes the rad cage works very well. I live & ride somewhere very rocky where the standard carbon fibre xtr derailleur arm gets damaged within a few rides, where as the thicker, admittadly heavier aluminium cage of the one up rad cage, is still going strong.

If you're tuning the m9000 xtr that implies you're using 11speed. the cage of the m9000 will work perfectly with the stock xtr 11-40, by happy coincidence it also works with the sram 10-42. a few friends of mine are mixing m9000 xtr with a sram cassette with no issues. so for shifting performance alone, you wouldnt need the one up rad cage.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Found a site with a lot of tempting tuning bolts: http://www.fantic26.de/Bike-Tuning-Color-Concept-Parts-superlight-carbon-Bike-Components-MTB. There might be quite a lot of them that don't fit the M9000 though.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Sanded down the clutch lever for a much cleaner look;)
Attachments
IMG_1234 (1).jpg

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Just came across a company that actually makes a Ti clutch bolts for the XTR M9000 derailleur! I've been looking real hard for this, and just yesterday I found the clutch bolt for the last generation XTR on their site. I immediately emailed them, asking if they could please make this for the M9000 as well, and it actually popped up on their site today! What are the chances?!

Underneath is the link to the bolt. I've ordered one already, of course;)
Titanium Planet

I've recently also asked Toronto Cycles (among others), about making this part in aluminum (with a steel insert where the bearing is mounted), and they seemed interested, but they told me they're quite busy at the moment. Hopefully it'll happen eventually though.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

HaakonJohansen wrote:Do you guys know the weight of the standard pulley wheels? .

Not M9000 but older XTR, just swapped my Jockeys for MT Zoom, original 17.5g, new 5.5g.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Was that 17.5 per pulley wheel?! That's a lot! I think it's right around 18 grams for the pair on the XTR M9000. I've got these ones with full ceramic bearings. Wight is listed with the steel ones. With the ceramic ones they're around 5.2-5.3 grams each.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com