LIGHTEST disc wheelset for mtb

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

I was able to get 1170 grams from a Tune Olympic II wheelset...Tune Prince/Princess, DT Aerolite and No Tubes ZTR Race 7000. I was tempted to swap the spokes to Pillar PST 1422 but I'm 80 Kg.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tiffster

by Tiffster

Found some info on a french website, the inolite carbon rims x 2 came in at 510 grams.

So using them and something like the DT 190's or Ole's custom hubs will get you under 1kg no problem.

Ole

by Ole

I have been promised rims at 250 or below for this project. :)

The problem with DT190 is very low flanges and you have to add 60+ grams for adapters for use lightweight discs.

I could make my wheels even lighter using Pillar 1422 all the way, but the rims would pull to the side during vertical g-forces, and make them less useful as something to actually race on. Using thicker spokes on the side with the highest tension gives more even spoke elongation, which again help keeps the rim staying centered in curves and during bumby terrain. My old wheelset with similar sproke configuration actually is more stable at speed off road than the one I had before, with 2.0/1.5/2.0 steel spokes all around, even though the latter was stiffer laterally.

Ole.

Tiffster

by Tiffster

There are options on the adapters for disc, im running two i modded, and there are some out there at 9 grams a piece! Lot of work though.

barbe bleue

by barbe bleue

I have ordered a few rims to Innolite and I received a few days ago a first delivery of 2 rims (28 holes).
I weighted each one at 250.0g.

The built was made with King Kong 28h / Aerolite / alu nipples 12mm.
The total weight is 1110g.

The rim is so light because there is no hook (like Lew ProVC1 I think).
So tubes seem to be required. Futhermore the risk of pinch flat is reduced.

But following advices of Innolite, I tried the front wheel in "notubes" with latex.
And it seems to work. I have only ride 90km with them, but no problem at the moment.
Concerning stiffness, it looks like the Olympic's stifness (with same hubs in 32h) in frontal and lateral, but with 100g less on each rim!

There are some others pictures of my wheels here: http://www.julmtb.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c&start=60

Last edited by barbe bleue on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Handbuilt MTB Wheels

Ole

by Ole

9g each is very good! And safe? Anyhow, that's 18g extra, making the sub kilo 18g more difficult to reach. :)

Ole.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

barbe bleue wrote:I have ordered a few rims to Innolite and I received a few days ago a first delivery of 2 rims (28 holes).
I weighted each one at 250.0g.

The built was made with King Kong 28h / Aerolite / alu nipples 12mm.
The total weight is 1110g.

The rim is so light because there is no hook (like Lew ProVC1 I think).
So tubes seem to be required. Futhermore the risk of pinch flat is reduced.

But following advices of Innolite, I tried the front wheel in "notubes" with latex.
And it seems to work. I have only ride 90km with them, but no problem at the moment.
Concerning stiffness, it looks like the Olympic's stifness (with same hubs in 32h) in frontal and lateral, but with 100g less on each rim!

There are some others pictures of my wheels here: http://www.julmtb.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... c&start=60

Wow - that looks really sweet and white scrub rotors. Nice detail :-)

kentkreitler

by kentkreitler

Friend of mine is very happy with his Innolites, weighs in at approx 1070g. No problem running them tubeless, it seems that the designer him self in running them like that. These wheels are on top on my wish list for christmas...

Gran Sport

by Gran Sport

Ole wrote:9g each is very good! And safe? Anyhow, that's 18g extra, making the sub kilo 18g more difficult to reach. :)

Ole.

can't wait to see your latest wheelset project completed
Last edited by Gran Sport on Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Weel

by King Weel

kentkreitler wrote:Friend of mine is very happy with his Innolites, weighs in at approx 1070g. No problem running them tubeless, it seems that the designer him self in running them like that. These wheels are on top on my wish list for christmas...

Is it possible to run tires with these rims at the same amount of pressure as with Notubes?
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

Jaker

by Jaker

King Weel wrote:Is it possible to run tires with these rims at the same amount of pressure as with Notubes?

Meaning low pressure like 23-28 psi, right?

King Weel

by King Weel

Jaker wrote:
King Weel wrote:Is it possible to run tires with these rims at the same amount of pressure as with Notubes?

Meaning low pressure like 23-28 psi, right?

Aye! I ride mine (Olympic rims) at 1,5 bar (front) and 1,7 (rear), that is 23 psi and 25 psi respectively.
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

debock.robby

by debock.robby

I ride my am classic and alex rims (which suck) in notubes configuration as well. I have to say I trust my ztr olympic rim more since the tire really hooks up into the rim, which isn't the case with AC and Alex. Another advantage of the olympics is the ease of pumping up a tire, I have no single problem inflating light tires on these rims. On the other hand, my other light rims are a big pain in the ass when it comes to inflate non-ust tires! (Even though I used a compressor and loads of soap). The latter problem is perhaps as well a problem of the innolite rims ??
"It's always your legs that count, but WW bikes make strong legs last longer!"

Ole

by Ole

Project Sub Kilo is finshed! Or just started, really, as I have yet to ride the wheels. :mrgreen:

I spent the last few nights building them, with the rims weighing in at 239.2g and 241.2g.

28h front. 89g hub, wheel weight 434g

28h rear wheel, 170g hub, wheel weight 524g

:thumbup:
Last edited by Ole on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

All I can say is WOW....Ole keep us posted on how those rims hold up. I myself may pull the trigger on a set. The only thing is that I need to be 100% sure it will work tubeless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com