LIGHTEST disc wheelset for mtb

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

siiick - 140 grams per rim??? great weight and the looks are sweet, Ole - looking forward to hearing more about it.

BTW - did you get the innolite rims from innolites directly?

s1ned

by s1ned

Mads Kock wrote:siiick - 140 grams per rim??? great weight and the looks are sweet, Ole - looking forward to hearing more about it.

BTW - did you get the innolite rims from innolites directly?

I'm sure they are 240 grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ole

by Ole

jmartpr wrote:All I can say is WOW....Ole keep us posted on how those rims hold up. I myself may pull the trigger on a set. The only thing is that I need to be 100% sure it will work tubeless.

The man behind Innolite uses these rims tubeless, and the profile sure looks like it should work well with NoTubes Yellow rim tape.

Ole.

Jackalmiauleon

by Jackalmiauleon

Last edited by Jackalmiauleon on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
NO NUKES and visit my blog
http://ww-jackal.blogspot.com/

crazyeddie

by crazyeddie

it is quite funny that some guys on light-bikes.com wonder if sub1000g-wheels were possible with the new ax lightness 220g tubulars: http://www.forum.light-bikes.de/showthread.php?t=9617&page=2 (german) :lol:

oles wheels with 220g ax rims, tune dezibel rearhub (uli fahl said 130g in this video: http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=419684 (german) ) would weight 878g. perhaps, someone would use a tuned extralite hyperlefty (perhaps -10g) and rims with a more strict driver weigth limitation, so we should now ask "when it is possible to build sub800g mtb wheels" :lol:

TTiago

by TTiago

I've talked to Ulf Johansson from Innolite they can make in 28h or 32h...and the cost? about 400€ each rim... I know i'm going to put this in Santa's letter :mrgreen:

njee20

by njee20

I see the Tune 2010 Catalogue mentions a new Tune Prince HighFLY hub which is 150g, has an alu axle so it's hopefully user serviceable. Doesn't have pawls either, has 'spur gearing'. Dodgy German translation I reckon! Is that like a DT Star Ratchet!? Could be a good hub.

Dunno about that 130g one in the video though!

Edit: see they're actually offering a built wheelset on ZTR Race with CX-Rays at 1033g. Pretty impressive, if they were using the Innolite rims that'd be 980 ish.

Ole

by Ole

Today was the first test, on tarmac around the neighbourhood. There was nothing special going on, the wheels felt remarkably normal during sprinting, hard braking, turning, wheelying and jumping. After the weekend I'll take them on a real off road ride, but so far everything seems very good. Stiffness at least as good as my old 108xg wheels.

I weighed the wheelset at the post office, the scale said 954g!

Ole.

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

Ole

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

TTiago

by TTiago

Stunning!

A question... how do you guys install the nipples if the only hole from the inside is the valve hole?

Ole

by Ole

The Innolite rims have normal spoke holes, you have to seal the rim with NoTubes sealing tape.

Ole.

njee20

by njee20

Magnetic 150g rear hubs?

Clicky

slim83

by slim83

Neat idea, but how long do you think aluminum teeth will last?

BrianAllan

by BrianAllan

903g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

njee20

by njee20

Good contribution Brian, care to explain!?

I dunno, I'll be interested to see how they work, you have to wonder why they didn't go for springs like DTs, I'd have thought that'd be lighter still. Wonder what they'll cost.