Are Speedneedle saddles OK for XC racing?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kfcninja

by kfcninja

I'm considering purchasing a tune speedneedle saddle and was wondering how durable those rails are compare to the titanium rails on the SLR. I'm not to keen on spending $180 and have it break on me a week later. I weigh 74 kilos with gear, ride a hardtail and will use it for XC racing. If it matters, I'm using an extralite seatpost. Thanks for the help...

noiz

by noiz

kfcninja wrote:I'm considering purchasing a tune speedneedle saddle and was wondering how durable those rails are compare to the titanium rails on the SLR. I'm not to keen on spending $180 and have it break on me a week later. I weigh 74 kilos with gear, ride a hardtail and will use it for XC racing. If it matters, I'm using an extralite seatpost. Thanks for the help...

I have the same setup - extralite The Post UL and speedneedle saddle. I'm about 76 kg and I have been riding it the last year and it works great for me. I ride XC but no hardcore freeride-stuff!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pedä

by Pedä

i use only the speedneedle... since a few years and without problems.

and i have never damaged one of my speedneedles or seen a broken speedneedle. but i wark in a bike shop and we had over five broken slr...

-> the titanium tube of the slr was every time damaged directly at the position where the seatpost clamps the saddle....
Pedä

Brandhout

by Brandhout

I rode a SLR for four years without any problems until my brother decided to drill some holes in it :lol: Now I've got a speedneedle (about six months now) and I feel very confident with it AND I find it a more comfy sadle, but that's more personal I suppose. I weigh 72 kilo's (without gear, kinky) and also only ride xc.

kfcninja

by kfcninja

noiz: did you have to make any modifications to your extralite seat post to have the large rails on the speedneedle fit?

also, which one to get: alacantra, leather, lycra and regular vs. marathon?

Furti

by Furti

I'm 78kg and I'm an XC and marathon racer.
I use lycra version and I like it very much.
(88g)
I use FRM ST M-20 seatpost w/titan bolts. 158,5g and these are perfect together.
f.
MTB XC and Marathon racer from Hungary
Trek 9.9 carbon :)

Monticone

by Monticone

Speedneedle is ok, but witch version is better?
Leather or alcantara?
On my rodie 585 I mount the Alcantara version (perfect for me), but I think that it could not be very functional for MTB.
In wet conditions alcantara make problems? Is it sufficently durable?

Pedä

by Pedä

Monticone wrote:Speedneedle is ok, but witch version is better?
Leather or alcantara?
On my rodie 585 I mount the Alcantara version (perfect for me), but I think that it could not be very functional for MTB.
In wet conditions alcantara make problems? Is it sufficently durable?

the leater version is better, but the alcantara version is lighter.....

the durability of both is te same, but the alcantara version saves water over one night... if you will ride through te rain with the alcantara version (or wash your bike) it will be wet until the next night..
but te next day it is okay!
Pedä

Tippster

by Tippster

I've riden both an SLR and a leather Speedneedle, both with a USE carbon post.

I had to get an oversize clamp head for the speedneedle and also modify the clamp head.

Comfort wise, I find them similar in rides up to 2 hours on the road.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

kfcninja

by kfcninja

thanks for the info. i agree about the ride time limits on these saddles. i have the slr evolution on my road bike now and after 2 hours - you definitely start to feel it....

by the way, are the rails kevlar or is metal wrapped with kevlar? - just wondering. Also, for anyone using an extralite post with their speedneedle - do i have to modify my seatpost clamp or does it fit as is?

dlight

by dlight

will a speedneedle work with a ritchey post

Esben

by Esben

kfcninja wrote:thanks for the info. i agree about the ride time limits on these saddles. i have the slr evolution on my road bike now and after 2 hours - you definitely start to feel it....

by the way, are the rails kevlar or is metal wrapped with kevlar? - just wondering. Also, for anyone using an extralite post with their speedneedle - do i have to modify my seatpost clamp or does it fit as is?

A speedneedle will work with a Extralite seat post.

I’ve just used my Speedneedle for a 12 hour relay mtb competition. We were two riders, which resulted in just over 6 hour of mtb riding on a really bumpy course and I had no problems at all with this saddle.
GAZ GAZ

Tippster

by Tippster

kfcninja wrote:thanks for the info. i agree about the ride time limits on these saddles. i have the slr evolution on my road bike now and after 2 hours - you definitely start to feel it....

I think it is more important to get a quality padded short than a padded saddle.

The rails are carbon wrapped in kevlar.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com