2005 Giant XTC composite frame seatpost shim, etc.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

B R H

by B R H

I received my new frame yesterday and it came with a heavy (40 grams) aluminum shim (30.9 to 27.2 mm). I thought I read somewhere that the 2005 frames no longer require the seatpost shim. Does Giant require that I use this shim or is it optional?

Also, how can I be certain my frame is a 2005 model year?

PS. The bare frame weight, size L (19"), was 1224 grams. This does not include any bottle cage bolts, deraileur hanger, headset, seatpost shim, or seatpost clamp.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Composite World

by Composite World

to be certain, just look at the web site. i didnt know composites come with shim because they already use 27.2 post. that heavy shim only comes with alu XTC. i replaced it with custom 5g plastic one :wink:

B R H

by B R H

I've never been able to find the information I need on the Giant website. I was hoping someone could tell me that the serial number on my frame can be used to verify the year.

I know someone who is using a 30.9 mm seatpost directly (no shim) on his 2005 frame, but he is a very light rider. I need to know if the shim is required for the warranty. I don't see why it should be as long as the minimum seatpost insertion is used. I don't know what that is, but I would guess ~4" should be adequate since that would put the post below the top tube. I don't understand why a shim should be required as long as the seatpost is the right size and installed correctly.

B R H

by B R H

I got an answer from Giant on the seatpost shim. They still supply the shim merely as a courtesy with framesets. It is no longer required. Woohoo!