Lite Tires

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Girlyman

by Girlyman

Hi guys,

I have a Geminii 2000 I'm trying to lighten up. I'm especially looking at the tires right now. Currently have 2.5 tube tires. I'm thinking of going maybe 2.3 kevlar tubless. Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

:welcome: to the site.

What type of riding do you plan to do?
weather conditions?
trail conditions?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

JK

by JK

Continental Vertical ProTection 2.3

Without doubt the best in 'freeride' tires. Relatively light, very low rolling resistance (as low as lots of XC tires) and a great ride!

Girlyman

by Girlyman

I ride hard by XC standards and light by Freeride/DH standards. 4 foot drops. Lots of hoping. Blast through rock fields, but not at breakneck speeds. I stay pretty much within my limits, but my limits are expanding. Like single track and technical more than high-speed on loose dirt-roads. Also, where I live I have to climb up the hills I go down -- although I am planning a bunch of trips to ski resorts this summer. The tires I current run feel like I'm riding in mud -- unless I'm going downhill, and then they feel fine.

Girlyman

by Girlyman

What about a Fast Fred Light 2.25?

Also, can you make any tire into a tubless tire or does it have to be a special kind of tire? Can I, for instance, use the Fast Fred as a tubless tire? There is also a 2.35 version.

mpap89

by mpap89

you can save weight by going tubeless

Girlyman

by Girlyman

mpap89 wrote:you can save weight by going tubeless

But do I have to have a special "tubless" tire? Or can I use any tire. I have just never done it before

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

JK

by JK

Girlyman wrote:What about a Fast Fred Light 2.25?

Taking into account the riding style that you describe, that one would not last half an hour. Or you would not, because you would slip out of a corner...

I would stick to knobbed tires. Michelin XLS is relatively light and fast rolling too.

Sandal

by Sandal

JK wrote:Continental Vertical ProTection 2.3

IMO not a very good option. yes, it's reasonably light (my is a bit over 600g, pro version) and has some very nice traction. however it's not even close to the claimed volume. believe it or not, but Python airlight 2.0 is greater in volume then Vertical protection 2.3
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

Daniel

by Daniel

Sandal wrote:believe it or not, but Python airlight 2.0 is greater in volume then Vertical protection 2.3

Python Airlight is great for hardpack or dry clay, but it is almost semi-slick. It slips on rocks. I'm afraid it's dangerous option for FR/Enduro. :)

Cyco

by Cyco

I really like the Michy Hot Ss for FR stuff, I use the 2.5 up front and the 2.1 at the back, only because a 2.5 would be a marginal fit at best.

I was never a big fan of the Verticals, I consider them to be nowhere near as confidence inspireing tyre an the Explorer, but that could just be me and the conditions I ride in.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Girlyman

by Girlyman

Cyco wrote:I really like the Michy Hot Ss for FR stuff, I use the 2.5 up front and the 2.1 at the back, only because a 2.5 would be a marginal fit at best.

I was never a big fan of the Verticals, I consider them to be nowhere near as confidence inspireing tyre an the Explorer, but that could just be me and the conditions I ride in.

Well, I might end up with Verticals just the same. There seem to be differing opinions here, and I'm not sure where to find a Michy Hot Ss. Verticals are pretty easy to find. But I still have two questions:

1. Do I need a special tire if I want to go tubless.
2. I currently have an FR-331 handlebar from FSR that weighs 350gms. The stem used evidently needs a large diamter (I found 31.8mm on the FSR web page, and it looks about right). Any thoughts about how I might be able to lighten this up as well?