HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Paint stripping
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:23 pm
Posts: 80
Location: holland
I recently bought a second hand Titanium atb frame.
It weighs 1755 gram which I think is not too bad for the size (19.5").
It has a thick paint layer and I wonder how much weight I can spare when I strip the paint from the frame.
Is this a job I can do myself? (chemical paintstripper) or should it be sandblasted or something like that?


Attachments:
fr.jpg
fr.jpg [ 63.12 KiB | Viewed 656 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Paint stripping
Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:45 am 


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:55 pm 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 am
Posts: 6123
Location: Drenthe, Holland
Hi

I recently stripped my own frame with chemical stripper and sandpaper! after that followed 2 weeks of pollishing and hard labour :( , but the result is pretty nice :D :shock: !!!! it depends on the bike how much weight you save, but the b1 has a verry verry thick layer of paint so a mere 100 grm. is in youre hands!

For any questions you can always mail me! (dutch)

_________________
Quote:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2003 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Posts: 751
Location: Belgium
Frankie - B wrote:
Hi

I recently stripped my own frame with chemical stripper and sandpaper! after that followed 2 weeks of pollishing and hard labour :( , but the result is pretty nice :D :shock: !!!! it depends on the bike how much weight you save, but the b1 has a verry verry thick layer of paint so a mere 100 grm. is in youre hands!

For any questions you can always mail me! (dutch)


Kunde uwe kader ni gewoon zandstralen? En wat bedoelde juist met polishing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 12:37 pm 
Offline
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:17 am
Posts: 6123
Location: Drenthe, Holland
Hey Joel!

Please use english in this forum. there are other people who want to know what we are writing.
You can sandblast your frame, but when you don't know anyone who can, you have to do it by hand!

Frank

_________________
Quote:
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:43 pm
Posts: 751
Location: Belgium
Frankie - B wrote:
Hey Joel!

Please use english in this forum. there are other people who want to know what we are writing.
You can sandblast your frame, but when you don't know anyone who can, you have to do it by hand!

Frank


OK, I'll use english in the future :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Easton EC70 Seatpost Stripping Advice: Slippage

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

Ellingferd

1

371

Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:17 am

JoeFlan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. aluminium no paint ?

in MTB

qwpy

1

219

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:55 pm

TheRookie View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Tarmac custom paint

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.

Rumsas

15

2408

Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:46 am

CaptainP View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New Cervélo paint jobs - TDF S5

in Road

Sacke

4

1232

Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:36 am

andrew9 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Best way to fix paint chips on frame?

in Road

53x12

7

594

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:21 pm

53x12 View the latest post


It is currently Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB